Push to Talk?

Cooter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Cooter
What is the easiest way to add a PTT on the right side in an airplane that has intercom, but no radio transmit on the non-pilot side? As an instructor, can you purchase a portable one that just plugs into intercom or does it need to be installed in the aircraft?

What is the easiest way to add a PTT on the right side in an airplane that has intercom, but no radio transmit on the non-pilot side? As an instructor, can you purchase a portable one that just plugs into intercom or does it need to be installed in the aircraft?

I've got an AVCOMM AC-900 headset that has a PTT built into the right ear cup.

I added a push to talk to my cheaper headsets (the ones that I'd added the ANR modules to as well). Works like a charm. No need to modify the plane.

I added a push to talk to my cheaper headsets (the ones that I'd added the ANR modules to as well). Works like a charm. No need to modify the plane.
Is there a kit you can buy? I called Aircraft Spruce and they seemed to think it would need to be hardwired into the airplane. I've got some spare headsets I could use if I can just add it them.

Is there a kit you can buy? I called Aircraft Spruce and they seemed to think it would need to be hardwired into the airplane. I've got some spare headsets I could use if I can just add it them.
Not sure why you would need to hardware anything into the airplane. The plug in/Velcro PTT switch like Ron linked should work just fine.

Not sure why you would need to hardware anything into the airplane. The plug in/Velcro PTT switch like Ron linked should work just fine.
That's what I was hoping for. When I called them, they said those were for handheld radios. I didn't get a sense that the guy really knew much about it though. I will call back and try again tomorrow.

That's what I was hoping for. When I called them, they said those were for handheld radios. I didn't get a sense that the guy really knew much about it though. I will call back and try again tomorrow.
They should work for both aircraft and hand helds (although most hand helds need the right adapter).

I have a 4 place intercom in my 170 but no hard wired PTT. I use the kind linked for both pilot seats.

The only ones that are odd are those made by David Clark. The DC PTT switches are configured such that if you use it out of the box, you won't hear yourself talk on the intercom unless you modify the internal wiring.

I didn't buy a kit to do my PTT on my cheap Av-Comm's. I MADE the kit and wired it up myself. All you need is to ground the mic plug tip to the mic plug sleeve to signal the radio to transmit/open the mic circuit. Parts can come from Radio shack (if any still exist), Fry's or your generic electronic parts house... or online catalog like digikey. Keep in mind these AvComms weren't the high end headset I eventually bought for myself, but ones that I'd bought along the way for passengers to use (or myself when starting out)

If you have soldering skills you can do this. All you need is a button on the earcup (its easier if you put it on the side of the mic/wiring harness). Buy a suitable "Single Pole Single Throw - Momentary On" pushbutton to mount on the earcup. You need some project wire (23-25 ga is suitable for signalling, this carries miniscule current), a multimeter, A soldering gun, solder, some small wire cutters/dykes and a wire stripper. Find the wires coming into the cup from the wiring harness, identify the wires going to the Mic Tip and Mic Sleeve using the multimeter, and splice in a section of wire from the tip to one pole on the switch and a section of wire from the sleeve to the other pole on the switch. Do not permanently interrupt the continuity of either wire. If you do, ONLY the earcup PTT switch will function, not any others on the circuit. If you clip them to splice in, make sure the original continuity is restored.

Some relevant schematics can be found here: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/micjack/micjack.html
An example similar to the switch I used: http://www.delcity.net/store/Push-B...p_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=COzyxJTXs84CFQGOaQodtzAFbQ

The first person I talked to at Aircraft Spruce was wrong. I found what I needed, thanks for the info!

Back