Push email for Gmail / iPhone

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Google Sync makes it happen:

http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=apple

One of my iPhone techno-freak programmer friends got quite excited discovering this today.

Gmail sync. Get your Gmail pushed directly to your iPhone. Your inbox is always up to date no matter where you are, or what you're doing.

Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your iPhone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.

Get calendar alerts. Using your iPhone's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration.

I do this with my yahoo email now. It does deplete the battery faster as it is frequently checking for " pushed " email. On the iPhone you can change the checking interval or turn the push function off.

Here's a guide syncing Google calendar, contacts as well as mails onto iPhone. You can do as the following steps:

Step 1 Go to "Settings" menu on iPhone. Scroll to find "Mails, Contacts, Calendars" option and tap it opened. Then, select "Add Account" option.

Step 2 In the "Add Account" interface, there are several options of mailbox or cloud services for you. Tap "Google" and enter the correct email address and password to log in your Google account.

Step 3 When you successfully sign in your Google account on iPhone, a request will pop up asking you to allow the iOS device view and manage your emails, basic profile info, calendars and contacts in your Google service. Tap "Accept" button. Then, you can sync mail, contacts, calendars as well as notes with Google.

I have always been able to receive gmail on my iPhone. The problem is that it needs to be retrieved, either at a set time interval or manually. It is not "pushed" as my work exchange email is. Not sure that the push feature matters that much to me. I don't instantly respond to email anyway.

I have always been able to receive gmail on my iPhone. The problem is that it needs to be retrieved, either at a set time interval or manually. It is not "pushed" as my work exchange email is. Not sure that the push feature matters that much to me. I don't instantly respond to email anyway.

The "push" feature for free Gmail accounts was discontinued a couple years ago, although I think that Google will still push to the Gmail app. Google still offers traditional push via ActiveSync with paid Google Apps accounts.

JKG

Back