Pursing Career as a commercial pilot at 27 with DUI.

Rigsrigs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rigsrigs
Hello all,

I have a few questions and would really appreciate an and all insight.

When I was in college the thought of being an airline pilot has interested me a lot. Unfortunately, about 5 years ago, while in college, I made a horribly poor decision drove after drinking and ended up getting pulled over. I attended classes and paid my fines and it’s behind me. At the time I also put the possibility of being a pilot behind me.
However, that itch of wanting to be a pilot seems like it’s getting worst by the day. Ive found a lot of contradictory information online and would like any insight y’all have into it being possible to become a commercial pilot at this point in my life.

thank you

The best insight is going to be had by searching this forum for DUI. Especially pay attention to all comments from bbchien & Lbfjrmd.

A lot comes down to BAC level.

Exactly and how far back it was. 5 years I think gives you good wiggle room as long as the BAC level was sub .15. Are you still drinking ? its easier to explain away if you have given up alcohol, still in AA, etc etc. But if not - depends on the BAC level you blew.

The issue with BAC is that if a DUI goes back a long time ago (12 years at time of first application in my case), the court documents don't have it published. The police narrative would, but most agencies purge their records after 3 years. Thus you're stuck unable to produce documentation that conclusively proves your BAC.

The first thing I would do is obtain ALL court records and the police report/narrative from the arresting agency. The FAA will ask for these documents so get them yesterday. If you received any treatment for a substance related condition, I would get all of that documentation as well. This is definitely an area where the game is in your favor to produce any and all documentation you can possibly produce. 110% honesty is key here.

You can also get a transcript of your driving record from the states’s BMV and the records likely have the BAC.

Need to know the BAC (or if you refused). It's just CRITICAl to a good answer.....
I've had 2 duis. One in 2011 and the other in 2012. I don't remember the first BA but the second was a .18 something. Would that be something that would keep me from being able to have a career as a pilot?

I've had 2 duis. One in 2011 and the other in 2012. I don't remember the first BA but the second was a .18 something. Would that be something that would keep me from being able to have a career as a pilot?

The 0.18 will put you in dependence category. Your first hurdle is going to be getting your medical- which the doc has previously said will require abstinence, regular AA meetings, 14 in 12 months random drug testing and regular visits with the HIMS doc. If you get your medical - then yes - you'll have the whether the employer wants to hire you when you get there.

There are people at the airlines with DUI’s. I don’t know the actual stats, but I don’t think it’s super common. There used to be a particular regional that was always known to hire people with a DUI. I am not sure if that’s the case today.

Remember, you’re not legally permitted to enter Canada with a DUI on record. That’s considered a felony there. This presents a scheduling challenge to airlines.

There are people at the airlines with DUI’s. I don’t know the actual stats, but I don’t think it’s super common. There used to be a particular regional that was always known to hire people with a DUI. I am not sure if that’s the case today.

Remember, you’re not legally permitted to enter Canada with a DUI on record. That’s considered a felony there. This presents a scheduling challenge to airlines.
Unless you get deemed rehabilitated. Not that big of a thing if you know about it in advance.

Could you tell us which one so we can avoid it?

I fly for a major airline, had that driving infraction myself before I was hired.

You better just stay at home then, pretty much all US airlines have folks who have been ticketed for driving a car after a few drinks. Most all airlines even have departments who deal with existing pilots getting them.

It’s really not a huge deal so long as you still have a medical and you don’t have a bunch of other stuff on your record too, and so long as it’s just drinking while driving not resulting in a crash or something significant.

Safety wise if this is what you’re worried about when walking down the jet bridge, you might want to rethink what the real risks of flying are

Back