Purchasing a V-Tail, avionics opinions

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I just sent off the purchase agreement on a P35 V-Tail Bonanza after a verbal commitment, but I haven't even had the pre-buy completed yet, so this is just hypothetical until everything moves forward. The airplane has steam gauges and needs new avionics. Really the only thing I want to keep on it will be a certified, non-Garmin, ADS-B out unit that's currently installed; it also has an STEC 50 auto-pilot in case that's relevant.

I really have my fingers crossed that the Dynon Skyview HDX unit will be STC'd for the Bonanza, so I guess I'm going into this with the idea that I may like glass at some point in the future, but that could be quite a while based on the cost of all this. Another glass option might be the Garmin G500 TXI. That said, here's what I'm thinking of doing in the here and now:
https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/edm-8301/
In my mind about the only thing that would be a waste of money above would be the JPI since the Dynon would duplicate that offering. The new G500 seems pretty nice too, but the engine monitoring portion is crazy expensive, so I'd probably just stick with the JPI if I ended up with the Garmin glass at some point.

1. Are there any inexpensive IFR capable GPS options on the horizon, or are we stuck with Garmin and Avidyne? About the only absolute must-have for me currently is an engine monitor, so I can wait things out if you know of something on the horizon that's going to be a game changer.
  2. Does the 650 have significant advantages over something like a 430W? The 430W and an older Nav/Comm like the SL30 still seem to be really expensive, so I'm thinking there may not be any huge savings to be found here.
  3. Will I need an annunciator for the 650? How is that determined? Doesn't it have something to do with how far the unit is installed from your forward field of vision?
  4. Does a Garmin audio panel give me any sort of benefit compared the PS Engineering unit (tie-in to the other Garmin units)?
  5. Anything else I really need to do while the airplane is torn apart? USB outlets in the panel or for passengers, etc...

Back