Purchase decision Saratoga II TC

Tbone

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tbone
Hello, I'm new to the forum. When I got out of flying the internet was a baby. Now I'm back. Ready to go. I'm looking at a 2000 Saratoga II TC. My previous experience was in an Arrow I owned and I had 1000 hours in it in 8 years. I'm looking for information from pilots who own a similar Saratoga. What are the know issues I should be looking for in a prebuy? I plan to have a complete annual inspection done so I know everything about the plane. I'm looking for input and suggestions. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would be happy to help in any way I can. I worked with a buyer on a 1998 TC last year. It really has been a good fit for him. He came out of a normally aspirated T tailed lance and really likes the differences. I can put you in touch with my old instructor that does a lot of flying in it and can tell you a lot about it's performance. PM me if you want his numbers.

I live a good bit of the time not far from you up in NW MA now.

if you are used to flying a tbone then the PA32 is one of the few piston twins that has a prayer of meeting your cabin volume expectations

if you are used to flying a tbone then the PA32 is one of the few piston twins that has a prayer of meeting your cabin volume expectations
Um, when did they add a second engine to the PA32?

I just purchased 98 Toga TC. I love the plane. Good amount of power but at a cost. Fuel burn at 28inches, 2400rpm with TIT at 1600 is 22.5 gph.

I had extensive prebuy and found no glaring issues with ADs. I like the lycoming 540 as it's a very reliable power plant.

It's a very easy plane to fly you just need to learn to plan ahead. I transitioned from a Cherokee 180 into a Cherokee six with 70 hours total several years ago. After a sabbatical from flying for 8 years I flew a T182T for year and was able transition into my new plane a few months ago in an hour with an instructor. Not a lot of surprises just preplanning. Slowing down prior to entering pattern and taking care of the turbo are easy once you figure out the process. Drop the gear at 130 and it's all downhill from there.

What I absolutely love is the space! I'm 6'3" and 240 pounds and I'm so comfortable up front. My 2 kids enjoy their space in back and have a heyday traveling.

Tomorrow a friend of mine and I are flying to Canyonlands airport in Moab with our mountain bikes in the back. I easily pulled the rear seats in a couple of minutes to do this. CG is hard to mess up and offers a wide variety of loading options.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'm available till tomorrow morning and it's off to Moab:yes:

Basig in CT do you really need the turbo. The cost, weight and fuel burn that come with the turbo system are serious numbers. Review your intended mission profiles.

Good advice. Most people I see who buy turbos in the east have little benefit besides higher cost.

Basig in CT do you really need the turbo. The cost, weight and fuel burn that come with the turbo system are serious numbers. Review your intended mission profiles.

This is something to consider for sure. I purchased mine from fella in Iowa. Probably never flew it above 6,000 - 7000 feet. He is looking for replacement toga with air conditioning now and asked me about a turbo which I said it was waste of money for him. Few weeks later he told me he was going to get a turbo just in case he flew up to the mountains to visit.

Lots of money for a what if, but it's his money!

Um, when did they add a second engine to the PA32?

When they made the Seneca!!

I have been thinking about getting a turbo Saratoga TC lately also. I fly almost exclusively in the Western USA, I love the big cabin for my "stuff" and family, and am thinking turbo is the way to go. What would be a typical fuel burn and true airspeed and power setting for cruise flight, for a Turbo Saratoga TC, up in the mid teens, say 15 to 16000 feet? And are the mid teens typically the highest place these are flown, assuming a reason to go that high, like good tailwinds? Or do folks routinely take these up into the high teens? Did all or most of these, come with factory oxygen systems?

Back