Puppies first flight.

ISPYFROMABOVE

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
S. Halbert
A week or so ago I asked for recommendations on a route from Southern California to Elko Nevada as I had planned to make a trip up there to get a couple of puppies out of a shelter up there. Well, mission accomplished.

Took off from Redlands (REI) just before sun up. Flew VFR to north Las Vegas (VGT) for fuel and a stretch. Then straight up to Elko (EKO). The weather couldn't have been better. Not a cloud or a whisper of turbulence. We used flight following until clear of the various MOA's then flew on in silence until Elko. We landed at a little after 1:00 pm. The guys at the FBO El Aero were great. Got the crew car and drove to the shelter like a mad person because they closed at 2:00 pm. Fortunately the staff there were expecting us and stayed over a little longer. The pups are Catahoula Leopard Dog and Australian Shepherd mix. Back at the airport we loaded them into their kennel in the back seat of a C-172 and took off, flying the same route back.

The trip back to VGT was uneventful other than the amazing sunset over the snow covered mountains. Landed at VGT for fuel and a potty break for the pooches at a little after 6:00 pm. To their credit (and to my relief) the pups didn't have any accidents in the plane. That is especially fortunate given that it was freezing cold and I had the heater on. Nothing to ruin a good flight like the smell of hot dog mess filling the confined spaces of a skyhawk cabin... Departing VGT was interesting. Got a squawk code and frequency on the ground for flight following and departure instructions for avoiding the class B airspace until cleared. It was depart runway 7, right turn 220 until cleared through the bravo. When I switched over to Vegas departure I received an instruction I hadn't heard before but figured out quickly. " cleared through the bravo on own navigation at a heading no less then 190". Once out of bravo we flew VFR altitudes along the V-394 to DAG, then direct to REI. Picked up just a tiny bit of chop when descending past the mountains. Landed at REI just after 9:00pm. The dogs were sound asleep. Now home safe and playing happily.

Thanks to all for helping me get this planned and executed safely. Total flight time logged was 10.1.

Congrats on saving the puppies.....

There is a special place in heaven for people like you..:yes::yes::)

Well. I forgot to take my good camera with us, and they wouldn't sit still long enough to get a good cell phone pic, but I got this pic this morning. The other pup went to the in-laws house this am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
Back