Pup is sick

Nice write-up, Nate, and something all dog lovers can relate to.

I posted this recently on another board...it seems apropos:

Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog;
but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog.

Douglas Mallock

My condolences Nate they are truly our best friend and you did the right thing. I have two pups one a 14yo rescue and a 7yo and I know it will be a hard decision to make but one we need to make. I dread the last time Colby and I will be in the field together we worked like a well oiled machine and it will be hard to replace.

Thanks EB for all the smiles you made.

What a great essay, Nate. Just read it aloud to my wife, after enjoying it the first time silently read to myself, and we both choked up a bit, relating your experience and mirroring your observations after the loss of our Snickers last fall. Well played, sir, well played. Learn that guitar. We need to add live music to Gaston's late night attractions.

No steenking practice is necessary. After a few snorts my picking sounds a lot better; to me, anyway. Singing even more so.

A shot of her final resting place on the mantle.

The engraving says, "Ebony - 1996-2012 - Loyal Friend, Loved Forever"

The photo is long before she had any grey hair.

4b94241c-cdf0-9f2c.jpg

A close up of the photo.

4b94241c-ce56-baa4.jpg

Seems a fitting close to this thread. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and sharing your stories too. Karen also appreciated them.

May peace be with you.

Last November my 7 going on 8 year old mutt Ella was diagnosed with glaucoma. What a frustrating disease. Fortunately, she has a terrier-type glaucoma which has allowed it to progress much more slowly than in some breeds. Glaucoma always wins out in the end.

Believe it or not, dogs are not nearly so debilitated by blindness as humans. They depend on their sense of smell far more than us and their vibrissae (whiskers) will keep them from colliding with objects. They're also smart enough to figure out where everything is.

One of the major strains of research mice are blind. I only found out when a colleague told me, your an't tell just to look at them.

Nate, sorry for your loss.

Nate, I just read this and you really made me realize that I am in the same place, wondering why I have been feeling down and grumpy. I shared your writeup with my wife as well, she has yet to see it but I'm sure it will explain to her why I have been "off" lately. I guess we both thought that after a few weeks we'd be moving on, but then again there's still a missing link in our family that has been there longer than the two boys (now 5th and 3rd graders). Our youngest son started tearing up last night after dinner, and wouldn't tell us what was wrong. He had baseball tryouts last evening and we thought maybe he was upset about that. Asked several times, and he didn't answer. Finally it hit me, and said "is it Chelsea is gone?" and he just nodded and cried again. We all did a little. Guess this grief thing has a ways to go still. Your comments made me believe that yes, it will still be some time before the memory of her will only bring a smile, for now there's the void to go along with it.
Thanks again for sharing,
David

Back