Pulmonary valve stenosis

U

Unregistered

Hi all. I'm a healthy person in my 30's and I hold a 3rd class medical and have for 4 years. I'm filling out MedXpress for the first time since I am going for a first class next week. When I was a baby I was diagnosed with Pulmonary valve stenosis and was monitored throughout my childhood. There was a 20% chance it was heal itself and it did around age 15 or so. Never took medication and it never limited me in any way. I don't think I declared this on my 3rd class medical so I need to declare it now. What should I be prepared for since I no longer have the condition and haven't for some time. Thanks.

Just doing a little more reading now... it doesn't look like it's disqualifying... but I'm a CFI flying with a 3rd class and I have PPL students so if I have any hiccup/lapse in my medical it's an issue... I have a year before it expires but I also don't want to be denied right now, ya know? I'm getting the first because you never know when an opportunity might arise... I only got the third because my flight school didn't explain the medical very well when I first started.

This is a Dr. Bruce issue. It might be helpful to get a copy of the most recent echocardiogram and the pediatric cardiologist's evaluation. If you can't get either one of these you might get need to get an echocardiogram to show that this is no longer a problem.

Obtain like Gary sez, your pediatric cardiology record; then an adult echo (bubble echo preferred) and an adult cardiologist's assessment.

If the anatomy truly is normalized then we petition for a letter of eligibility. If it is not truly normalized you'll end up proving aerobic capacity on a treadmill, all of which we should obtain PRIOR to your sending FAA anything.

GaryF, who answered first, is a cardiologist. But Like him, I'm an echographer. We both want to know about "4V2" and "shunt" as will FAA and these are gotten off of a current echo.

OP here. I seem to remember about a year after the doc thought it was normalized we did another ultrasound and all was well, I don't remember doing an EKG but then again all this was however many years ago...

So basically I need my records which I'll ask for today. They're 1,000 miles away, but I'm assuming it won't be an issue. Also, since you recommended an EKG should I go to my AME for that or find someone else? I'm fairly new in this city and don't have a huge establishment of healthcare professionals yet. What does "petition" for a letter of eligibility mean? Just say that since it's no longer an issue it should be forgotten about and not have to do treadmill? I mean if it's easier I can certainly do a treadmill.

Also, should I be calling my AME about this in general? I mean he's gonna find out eventually so would a call to him to find recommending cardiologists and a place to send my records be OK? I also think my pediatric cardiologist is still practicing. He used to be a pilot actually, but lost his medical due to some long-term cancer he's had since I was a kid.

Sorry for all the posts.. jsut realized I goofed and I meant to say I need an echo and not an EKG. Just freaking out about all this. The thought of not flying at this age is a bit terrifying.

Don't send anything to your AME (FAA) just yet. Discuss the results of previous tests with Dr. Bruce first. Some congenital heart problems get better without specific treatment so everything depends on the most recent evaluation. You might need to visit Dr. Bruce in Illinois to sort everything out if it's too complicated. The usual treatment for pulmonic stenosis is a balloon valvuloplasty which is not that big of a procedure so if you didn't need that you are probably OK.

OK. So I'll get my records sent to me then. But should I call the AME and discuss exactly what he wants, since that's who I'm using? A trip to Peoria isn't exactly in the cards right now unless it's an issue of losing my medical.

FWIW, the balloon was discussed a little bit way back when. But it was determined that it was never severe enough to warrant any procedures. I participated in sports normally and without issue too.

OK. So I'll get my records sent to me then. But should I call the AME and discuss exactly what he wants, since that's who I'm using? A trip to Peoria isn't exactly in the cards right now unless it's an issue of losing my medical.

FWIW, the balloon was discussed a little bit way back when. But it was determined that it was never severe enough to warrant any procedures. I participated in sports normally and without issue too.
If you are not careful you might make things really complicated. Dr. Bruce is an expert on how the FAA medical system functions. PM him and inquire as to how this should be handled. You might need to pay for a consult and it would be well worth what is spent. This is a fairly rare medical condition and the average AME will likely be clueless as to what is required by the FAA.

I've sent the fax for my records and I've emailed Doc Bruce because it seems like it's heading in a direction where I needed to. THanks everyone for the help. I can keep it updated with results.. but although it might be a pain I think I can get it without pulling my hair out... maybe...

A trip to Peoria isn't exactly in the cards right now unless it's an issue of losing my medical.
It could very well be. Dr. Bruce's fees are extremely reasonable for the service provided. IMO, Don't say anything to any other AME unless Bruce says to. It would be very easy to create a situation that becomes very difficult to undo.

It could very well be. Dr. Bruce's fees are extremely reasonable for the service provided. IMO, Don't say anything to any other AME unless Bruce says to. It would be very easy to create a situation that becomes very difficult to undo.
Yep. Too many stories of pilots who had some out of the ordinary medical issue who got caught up in a real mess when their AME didn't handle something properly. You can't unring a bell. Let Dr. Bruce handle this one for you.

The issue isn't his fee, that is small. The issue is that he is in Peoria, and I am 1,500 miles away and that amount is NOT cheap.

The issue isn't his fee, that is small. The issue is that he is in Peoria, and I am 1,500 miles away and that amount is NOT cheap.
He might be able to do everything by email or over the phone. Won't hurt to inquire.

His main office is not that far from KPIA, and his secondary is near the bag claim of KPIA. Consider what it is worth to you to have your medical in hand when you walk out of the exam. With Doc Bruce that is very likely. With your local guy, who knows?

If you can get a commercial airline ticket for reasonable, then that cost and having the right guy do this for you, and get set up for future success, might be well worth the expense and travel time.

Last edited:
He might be able to do everything by email or over the phone. Won't hurt to inquire.

I have been emailing him and he's been beyond helpful. I also got in contact with the doctor who did everything back then. I will likely be using Bruce's services via email, and his fee for that is worth every penny.

A huge thanks again to Dr. Bruce. I walked out of his office with my shiny (well, as shiny as paper can be) first class medical. I doubt I expressed enough gratitude but I am so thankful to have that weight off my shoulders, and during the shutdown none-the-less. Thanks again.

PS. Listen to this man! He knows what he's talking about and if you actually follow his advice things will go smoothly. So just do it right the first time :)

A huge thanks again to Dr. Bruce....

PS. Listen to this man! He knows what he's talking about and if you actually follow his advice things will go smoothly. So just do it right the first time :)

This should be a sticky....

Congrats on the 1st Class!!

A huge thanks again to Dr. Bruce. I walked out of his office with my shiny (well, as shiny as paper can be) first class medical. I doubt I expressed enough gratitude but I am so thankful to have that weight off my shoulders, and during the shutdown none-the-less. Thanks again.

This should be a sticky....

Congrats on the 1st Class!!

Amen!

Hope you're home okay. I felt like I should send something to L.R. but I'm SURE you've texted them by now :)

For the Board (unreg knows this already): The real trick will be getting the eligibility letter out of the agency, which is their lowest priority. The half dozen approvals (revenue aviators only, or crucial-to-career flyers) that I have gotten from the director, personally, are screenshots of his screen. No current way to create a letter.....

sigh.

Last edited:
Hope you're home okay. I felt like I should send something to L.R. but I'm SURE you've texted them by now :)

For the Board (unreg knows this already): The real trick will be getting the eligibility letter out of the agency, which is their lowest priority. The half dozen approvals (revenue aviators only, or crucial-to-career flyers) that I have gotten from the director, personally, are screenshots of his screen. No current way to create a letter.....

sigh.

Of course I did... Both were thrilled. On my last plane home.. Ill be glad to be home after spending 20 hours ish traveling but it was worth it.. I don't know who is happier, myself or LR :) thanks again!

PS do people really show up after drinking?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back