Pulmonary Embolism "diagnosis"

D

DVTFlyer

In 2007 I traveled on a very long international flight. A few days after I landed I had a respiratory event that landed my in a foreign clinic. I now think that it was an asthma attack. I have asthma.

The docs in the foreign country at that time did scans, didn't find anything. But because it was a short time after a flight, she diagnosed this as a "pulmonary embolism caused by a DVT" and put me on heparin. I didn't think much of it at the time.

After I came back to the U.S, I continued my heparin with my primary care physician for the 3 month course. Did a CT and leg sonar, and didn't find anything specific. Did blood tests and didn't find predisposition for DVT's either.

But for a few medical history questionnaires initially, I answered "Pulmonary Embolism" as part of my history, just in case. I stopped doing that.

Now I want to get a class III medical... How big a deal will this be?

Is a Pulmonary Embolism caused by a DVT 10 years ago even a disqualifying or SI condition? If not, I can just declare it and move on. Or if it's a series of simple tests that I need to do I don't mind either.

If it is disqualifying though, should I just not declare it since no diagnosis was ever made in the U.S.?

If I have to get the original diagnosis reversed it will be incredibly difficult. No idea who the doctor was that gave me the diagnosis, the clinic since closed down, and it's in a foreign country that I don't plan to re-visit soon.

I would think a visit to a good pulmonologist is in order to sort that out. I am guessing getting images from that clinic that long ago is out of the question. DVT and PE is not disqualifying, but I would be more worried about getting to the bottom of the correct diagnosis if possible. There are tests and history that could probably firm that up.

RockyMountain said:
I would think a visit to a good pulmonologist is in order to sort that out. I am guessing getting images from that clinic that long ago is out of the question. DVT and PE is not disqualifying, but I would be more worried about getting to the bottom of the correct diagnosis if possible. There are tests and history that could probably firm that up.

This is the correct answer (quoted). It is also what FAA is going to require.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back