Carlos Letona

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Carlos
Hi there,

New to the forum. I am a PPL based in Houston. I have family in the Dominican Republic. I would like to know if anyone has ever flown into the DR from Puerto Rico. Meaning, getting checked out in a C172 or PA28-140/160 in PR; Hobbs prices per rental agreement; Creating an international flight plan from PR into the DR with an 'N' registered aircraft.

I am choosing PR, since its FAA and closest to the DR.

If the topic has already been spoken about, I am sorry. I searched, but could not find anything specific or related to this one.

Thank ya'll!

I'm from PR, but the one time I flew locally I didn't go to the DR. I am planning on flying my airplane down from TX one of these years when time off (with child in school) and money, are both at a surplus (aka wish in one hand ----- on the other...).

At any rate. There's not much to it if flying privately. Renting? I don't think that's gonna be easy since that's gonna depend on the insurance agreement the rental has in place. There's not many providers down in TJIG, but you can give them a call and ask what their policy is regarding international flying.

In any event, flying to the DR is simple. No different than Florida to the Bahamas, with the exception of the paranoia over crossing the ADIZ without a discreet code (N/A for IFR). You file eAPIS (gotta get an account with the devil --I mean the CBP) manifest for departure and one for re-entry into US (Puerto Rico in this case). File an ICAO flight plan (VFR or IFR) since you'll be crossing into foreign airspace over the DR. For US requirements you'll have to have the CBP sticker or proof of purchase. Also 12 inch N-numbers for ICAO requirements. Life vest for beyond gliding range. Bring passport, general declarations copies for the DR leg, and US customs form for the return leg to PR (or it can be provided for you to fill). Remember to make phone contact with the custom station you intend to re-enter from, at least one hour from arrival. This is relevant especially when flying from Punta Cana where the flight is super short, since you probably intend to land at either Aguadilla or Isla Grande and both can be less than one hour flights.

That's it.

Hi there,

New to the forum. I am a PPL based in Houston. I have family in the Dominican Republic. I would like to know if anyone has ever flown into the DR from Puerto Rico. Meaning, getting checked out in a C172 or PA28-140/160 in PR; Hobbs prices per rental agreement; Creating an international flight plan from PR into the DR with an 'N' registered aircraft.

I am choosing PR, since its FAA and closest to the DR.

If the topic has already been spoken about, I am sorry. I searched, but could not find anything specific or related to this one.

Thank ya'll!

Nothing can be worse than the MIA controllers in terms of understanding them... should be a great flight!

Back