PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
As it appears that there has been some confusion regarding where my opinions come from, who I represent, and my knowledge base, I believe it may be necessary to provide the good members of this forum with some clarifications.

1) My ideas come from my experiences as an engineer in the aviation industry as well as from personal experience as an owner and/or operator of multiple aircraft, singles and twins, piston and turbine. Jets are the product of witchcraft, and as such I stay away from them. More to the point, I can't even come close to affording anything that burns Jet-A, and nobody has paid me to fly a jet... yet.

2) I do not represent any company line but my own. I do not have any interest in selling you a product that someone else sells, unless I believe that it is truly useful. I do have interest in getting you to take my advanced engine course, because that pays for my AvGas (and my mortgage - which is more important is debatable). I also have interest in flying your plane for you (Part 91 commercial pilot appropriate items), teaching you to fly (CFI, CFII, MEI, including accelerated courses), and flying you in an appropriate Part 135 aircraft once that is completed. Much as with my engine course, these activities pay for AvGas and mortgage.

3) I do not know everything. I know what I know. No more, no less. Most of what the engine and aircraft manufacturers did relevant to the aircraft we fly was done before I was born. So, while I have had a number of advantages in my learning and understanding in my aviation career thus far, I do not know everything there is to know about engines, ADs, Service Bulletins, Service Instructions, and Service Letters.

As I believe that to the majority of PoA this was already clear, I apologize for this interruption. Additionally, if you found these facts to be as traumatizing as being told that there is no Santa Claus, I apologize and need to point out simply: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Please still buy my book when I'm done with it so I can pay my mortgage and buy AvGas (perhaps not in that order).

Love,

-Ted
Your local neighborhood CP-AMEL & ASEL-IA, CFI, CFII, MEI, engine guy, and a snappy dresser

As it appears that there has been some confusion regarding where my opinions come from, who I represent, and my knowledge base, I believe it may be necessary to provide the good members of this forum with some clarifications.

1) My ideas come from my experiences as an engineer in the aviation industry as well as from personal experience as an owner and/or operator of multiple aircraft, singles and twins, piston and turbine. Jets are the product of witchcraft, and as such I stay away from them. More to the point, I can't even come close to affording anything that burns Jet-A, and nobody has paid me to fly a jet... yet.

2) I do not represent any company line but my own. I do not have any interest in selling you a product that someone else sells, unless I believe that it is truly useful. I do have interest in getting you to take my advanced engine course, because that pays for my AvGas (and my mortgage - which is more important is debatable). I also have interest in flying your plane for you (Part 91 commercial pilot appropriate items), teaching you to fly (CFI, CFII, MEI, including accelerated courses), and flying you in an appropriate Part 135 aircraft once that is completed. Much as with my engine course, these activities pay for AvGas and mortgage.

3) I do not know everything. I know what I know. No more, no less. Most of what the engine and aircraft manufacturers did relevant to the aircraft we fly was done before I was born. So, while I have had a number of advantages in my learning and understanding in my aviation career thus far, I do not know everything there is to know about engines, ADs, Service Bulletins, Service Instructions, and Service Letters.

As I believe that to the majority of PoA this was already clear, I apologize for this interruption. Additionally, if you found these facts to be as traumatizing as being told that there is no Santa Claus, I apologize and need to point out simply: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Please still buy my book when I'm done with it so I can pay my mortgage and buy AvGas (perhaps not in that order).

Love,

-Ted
Your local neighborhood CP-AMEL & ASEL-IA, CFI, CFII, MEI, engine guy, and a snappy dresser

Thank you Ted, for the clarification, you are a very nice young man and we respect your opinions and knowledge you share here.

Keep up the good work.

You told me that YOU were Santa Claus and that you were also a
CFINES ( Certified Flight Instructor Nine Engine Sleigh)!

Ted,

Are you OK?

:D

You're a Nine Engine Sleigh instructor?????

Can you help me add that class to my certificate?

There is no Santa? Wtf! When did that happen?

I didn't mean to shake your faith.

Yes, Migaldi, there is a Santa Claus.

I was buying it all the way to the part about the wardrobe. He couldn't make the best-dressed list at the City Mission.

I was buying it all the way to the part about the wardrobe. He couldn't make the best-dressed list at the City Mission.

As usual, Wayne, you managed to catch the detail that proves it was all a lie. Darnit.

I do, in fact, know everything. ;)

FTFY!! Bwahaha, you have called him forth!

Scott, it's not even Thanksgiving. Could you wait another two weeks?

Thus spoke the Engine Guru.

People alluded in another thread that Ted's judgement/opinions were slanted because he allegedly worked for a particular aviation company. Most of us just ignored it.

Ted, anyone taking any advice from an Internet forum hopefully already understands that opinions are like ... well, you know the rest. ;)

It weirds me out a bit that you even had to send a "disclaimer". One of the dangers of being an "expert" is that the entire world will misquote you or claim you're a wack job with a personal agenda at the drop of a hat.

I always laugh when that tactic works on the weak-minded. Of course everyone breathing has a personal agenda. We all know this. It's called bias, and it's unavoidable as humans.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Especially on the Internet. ;)

I enjoy the spirited discussions and always learn something from them, especially amongst the mechanics on the site, but in regards to that particular thread all I've "learned" is that Aeroshell might kill me if I injest it, and that some folks think the additives are harmful to engines without citing any long term studies.

Dragging you into it seemed unnecessary. The points were already made.

No one made a hard-data laden analysis type point that's got me running to the hangar to drain the Aeroshell 15W-50 out of the airplane, yet.

And the various allusions to other additives without calling them out by brand name is utterly worthless to most of us. Why make us guess? Last I checked, I'm not a petrochemical chemist. I buy a bottle of slippery stuff and pour it in the airplane per the manufacturer's recommendations. I read articles written by people who put their name on them, and back them up with data. I then factor in the random Internet posting at a much lower weighted score than almost anything else.

If it makes you feel better, I ignored everything that was posted as being your alleged opinion since I knew if you had an opinion and wanted to participate, you would. I've never even met you and knew you weren't the type to not speak your mind. I bet plenty of others did the same.

Carry on. Nothing to see here. ;)

Well, if you got the point, it was to make a tongue-in-cheek post aimed at particular individuals. And hopefully the rest of you got a laugh out of it. :)

And, sadly, as is so often the case, it all started with a simple question. As Will Rogers said: Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. I'll just add: And a wise man knows which subjects.

And, sadly, as is so often the case, it all started with a simple question. As Will Rogers said: Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. I'll just add: And a wise man knows which subjects.

as is often on this page, known best for its thread creep.

People here need to stick to the issues and not who's the expert.

when you read the thread, notice who brought Ted into the conversation to try and make their point.

we all know Ron is an avid Lycoming supporter, me not so much.. :) and that Ron is an expert on the regs and IFR flying both as an instructor an pilot, but I do not believe he is that much of a A&P or does he have the experience bending wrenches and seeing what fails and why, as many here.

Back