PTT right yoke

BurninGas81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BurninGas81
My '74 Archer didn't come w/a PTT on the rt yoke. Anyone know of a kit to install one? I have 2 comm radios. I'll need one so my instructor can ride rt seat.
Approximate cost?

I don't know of a kit. But, if your copilot's yoke has the blank-off plate on one end, with a couple of screws in it, then its hollow and will easily accept a PTT switch.

Just pick any suitably sized SPST monentary-on switch from Aircraft Spruce, some 20ga aircraft wiring, a red (20ga) PIDG ring terminal, and maybe an appropriate connector pin for your intercom, all with the proper tooling, and your good to go. The job takes 1 to 4 hours depending on what kind of intercom you have, and how big a mess the backside of the panel is. If its really bad, your A&P might take longer to fix problems he finds.

Parts probably less than $50. Shop rates are all over the place. I recently heard as low as $90/hr, and as high as $200/hr.

All this is just a semi-educated guess, based on past experience. YMMV!

PS. If you're in a hurry to get some dual instruction, depending on how your copilot's mic jack is wired, you might be able to use one of the velcro on PTT switches like this one: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pttswitch.php?clickkey=8638

Last edited:
What about a velcro PTT switch? I've seen that setup in a couple of different airplanes. Plugs in series w/ the mike connector. Spruce sells a couple of different models...some say they work with intercom, too, some don't say they do.

This is assuming you already have a working intercom.

What about a velcro PTT switch? I've seen that setup in a couple of different airplanes. Plugs in series w/ the mike connector. Spruce sells a couple of different models...some say they work with intercom, too, some don't say they do.

This is assuming you already have a working intercom.

It all depends on how the mic jack is wired. For instance, If you have a Sigtronics SPA-400, and its wired per the installation diagram, the velcro on PTT won't work.

A lot of planes have a PTT switch on the panel. You can see an example on the MZeroA.com videos.

Some plugin PTT switches will mute the mic audio when it is not pressed. This obviously won't work with an intercom that needs the mics hot when you are not pushing the PTT. I had to do a little surgery on my PTT switch to fix that. Some of the portable intercoms for that reason have separate PTT jacks than the mic jack to avoid that problem.

Back