PTSD Medical

texasray72

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
texasray72
Just out of curiosity. Have any of you been able to obtain a medical with a PTSD diagnosis? I have flown black-hawks for 21 years in the army. I was also cross trained as a PA. I have been diagnosed PTSD with symptoms only at night. I do have basic depression during the day but nothing drastic. I have a script for(Cymbalta, Provigil, and Gabapentine). I want to get back to flying so badly. My brother flies and I fly with him from time to time. My psychiatrist even states he can see the difference when I fly and says it is therapeutic for me. I have a Cessna 205 as well as a uh60 just gathering dust ever since I retired. I have been afraid to attempt my medical while still on the meds as I dont want to get locked out completely. I am going to obtain my SPL for now until either im off the meds a while or something else changes. Any ideas? My heart and sole goes out to all of you still flying. I wish you favorable weather and great views. To all the other military brothers and sisters, my cover is off and salute you. Especially on today 09/11.

The best answer for your question from this particular crowd is, "We don't know since with the exception of two members, none are Aviation Medical Examiners".

But with the PTSD diagnosis and use of the SSRI's, the best solution is to reach out to one of the 4 aviation medical examiners who wrote the protocol if allowing pilots to fly with SSRI's in their history.

That person is Dr. Bruce Chien. The conversation with him can be initiated from this web page: http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

and by the way - welcome aboard, best of luck, and thank you for your service!

The provigil imagine with be a big problem. Only has two indications, nacrolepsy and night shift work sleep disorder. Both don’t gel with flying. Off label used as a stimulant-also not med cool.

What is a uh60 just gathering dust mean? Were you a 65D or 67J?

Last edited:
Flying with someone else would probably be your best option for the moment. There's no reason you can't take an instructor up with you and that will still have you legal. I think most instructors would be glad to help with that. Flying is very therapeutic.

My brother flies and I fly with him from time to time. My psychiatrist even states he can see the difference when I fly and says it is therapeutic for me. I have a Cessna 205 as well as a uh60 just gathering dust ever since I retired.

No answer for you, best of luck getting your medical. Thank you for your service.

But as someone else asked, you have a uh60 blackhawk just sitting there gathering dust?? I'll chip in for some fuel when you can fly it again :D

Back