PTSD and licensing

yes. And is absolute non-sense that it is thus, as I know many pilots actively flying without PTSD who have all these issues and more. By the FAAs rules none of them should be flying. I don’t know many people who don’t have relationship problems or sleep issues...

I truly appreciate your guidance here so people don’t waste their time and money.

Speaking as someone who had been flying since she was 14 and is more than 30 years down the road this really really stinks.

kw- in your email you didn’t give the breakdown but I see it is 70% Ptsd.

so to win certification every symptom in you award and he has to be gone, as warranted by a HIMS psychiatrist. This is not like the countless PHQ-9s we filled out on Active. The HIMS psych conducts an investigation, talks to your peers, close friends....it no just going in and denying an issue.

The sleep disturbances, trouble with long term relationships...hyper awareness, edginess...all has to be gone gone.

And, if you succeed you will, about15 mos later, lose the award, as the agency grants you a one year issuance and the @One Year re-exam is by a VAH psychiatrist....whic is how the award terminates.

if you are still wanting to do this, get some treatment, Show that you are trying VAH cog. Behavioral training actually isn’t talk BS, it does help.

....but the budget for this is about $6.5 K. No insurances pay for this and the VAH psychs are not in the business of the VAH mission: award and treat. “Declaring health” is not on the list.

You are obligated to inform the FAA of your medical diagnosis if you continue to fly under your PPL. Honestly, I wouldn’t fly and let your medical lapse instead. The FAA does get info from other branches of government so I wouldn’t risk it and have your license pulled completely. That would make it impossible to ever get it back if you ever improved or if rules changed down the road.

Hi! I just got approved by the VA for pilot training under voc rehab. When I started reading this thread my good mood vanished and my heart dropped. I currently have a 70% VA rating for PTSD, which ironically made me eligible for voc rehab in the first place. My life's dream has been to fly professionally, which now seems like a very distant prospect. I already hold a PPL and 3rd class. The diagnosis and rating happened after the last medical. Any advice would be much, much obliged (for example an AME who cares and can help me in Southern California). I'm honestly panicking a little bit, and sure as heck don't want to be grounded for life (or go to federal prison for lying on the 8050). Thanks friends!!

Dealing with any bureaucracy is frustrating and time consuming. Follow the advice of Dr Chien or Fowler to the letter, pay no attention to others. In the famous words of Inspector Callahan, "do you feel lucky?"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back