PSA Colors Flying again

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Thanks US Airways, That is cool. I miss the old PSA. The smiling planes were my favorite when i was kid growing up in so cal.

from http://www.flightglobal.com
US Airways is to unveil one of its Airbus A319 jets in the first of its retro liveries representing its four constituent airlines at a ceremony in San Diego, California next week.

The A319 (N742PS, formerly N742US, pictured above) has been painted in the colours of Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), famous for its "Catch My Smile" livery. Its aircraft were painted in stripes of fuchsia, orange and red with a smile painted under the nose.

The PSA heritage aircraft will be the first of three A319 jets painted in historic liveries, with aircraft representing Allegheny Airlines and Piedmont Airlines scheduled to join the fleet later this year. In August last year the carrier unveiled its new mainline fleet paint scheme following the merger with Airlines. There will also be an America West Heritage aircraft, an as-yet undisclosed aircraft type.

The aircraft was rolled out last week at Charlotte Douglas international airport in North Carolina

Attachments

• psa.jpg
    psa.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 36
Hey, wow. That's pretty cool. That livery is before my time, but I think it looks way better than US Airway's current livery.

Good on 'em.

Back in the way back, PSA had some of the best stews....dated 2. Next best was Southwest and TTA/TI. Love the PSA smile planes though. Late 60's-early 70's time frame.

Sorry to be so PI (politically incorrect). That was then, this is now...*sigh*

I certainly enjoyed flying with PSA (and with Air Cal) when I lived in Southern California; while I was there, US bought PSA and AA bought Air Cal, and both immediately ran their respective purchses into the ground by completely ignoring the services and attitude that had made them worth buying in the first place.

I hope, for all the good people of US and HP combined, that the combination works; rolling out these retro liveries which pay homage to the
carriers which make up the whole, and to the people who made those carriers worthwhile, shows a spark of good sense.

Didn't have the chance to fly PSA as I was an east-coaster at the time. Loved Piedmont, though, IMHSHO one of the best airlines in the US. Long been part of USAir....

wsuffa said:
Didn't have the chance to fly PSA as I was an east-coaster at the time. Loved Piedmont, though, IMHSHO one of the best airlines in the US. Long been part of USAir....

Not overly thrilled with their FBO's though.....

F.W. Birdman said:
Not overly thrilled with their FBO's though.....

Yeah, I agree. Expensive and unimpressive. For the large FBOs, I like TacAir.

Michael said:
Thanks US Airways, That is cool. I miss the old PSA. The smiling planes were my favorite when i was kid growing up in so cal.

from http://www.flightglobal.com

That brings back some memories. Good old PSA - "Poor Sailors Airline" as we called it when I worked for the Navy in the late 70s.

Thanks.

smigaldi said:
I miss the ole Braniff. Cool colors and different ideas
http://www.braniffpages.com/

When my dad "retired" from the AF for about 3 years, he was a Braniff guy. Dallas - KC - Minneapolis and back. He said it was no fun to get to target and not rain down about 50 klbs. of HE. A couple of phone calls, and he was back doing what he liked.

Back