Prozac?

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by MontanaMan, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MontanaMan

MontanaMan Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    MontanaMan
    Hi Folks:

I'm interested in eventually getting a private license, after getting the sport license. I'm concerned because I've been prescribed Prozac in the past for depression. I've heard that the FAA now allows "Provisional" medical status, despite the depression.

Can anyone explain in plain english how that works? I've found some very confusing info on it, and I'm still not understanding it.

How much trouble will it be to get the medical clearance with a history of Prozac?

Thanks!

2. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Contact Dr Bruce Chien

aeromedicaldoc.com

do not pass go.
    do not collect $200

3. MontanaMan

MontanaMan Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    MontanaMan
    Thanks ... I just sent him a message from his website.

4. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    For everyone's information:

(Not about Montana Man) If one has had more than one episode of depression/anxiety in a lifetime, that is by definition "recurrent depression". If you are off of all meds, that means, "recurrent disease, untreated" which is DENIED.

If one is ON meds, the only way through is on the SSRI depression protocol which is not for the faint of wallet.

It is not normal to go through life and be on and off the meds, then on, then off, then on.....etc. That speaks of an underlying difficulty which will in fact, recur again.

I have another pilot who just got denied for "recurrent disease, untreated" and is setting up for the long march (6 months stable on single med, unchanged dosage) to the SSRI issuance. The FAA view rather darkly, "I threw away my pills and I'm fine!"