Provide ATIS code to ground for taxiback?

joelmillhouse

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joel
Yesterday when landing at KSTS for taxiback and immediate departure, I was given instructions to contact ground, cleared the runway, called ground with "... At Alpha 4 requesting taxiback for departure" and the contrler asked me to confirm I had information Delta.

I don't remember ever providing ATIS in this situation. Is that common and should I incorporate that I to my comms?

I came in with Delta and he asked if I had Delta, but when I listened it was already reporting Echo, so that wasn't it. But I assume from your response you do not normally report Atis in that situation? Just trying to improve my comms and phraseology

"Is that common and should I incorporate that I to my comms?"
No, if tower hands you off to ground, I would not wait and listen to the ATIS first, if that's what you're asking.

From the controller's perspective, first, they don't know which ATIS you had before you landed, and second, probably just automatically say it because they say it to everybody. From your perspective, you may not have the current one because you've been busy flying the airplane and landing. Just tell them you'll get it.

I came in with Delta and he asked if I had Delta, but when I listened it was already reporting Echo, so that wasn't it. But I assume from your response you do not normally report Atis in that situation? Just trying to improve my comms and phraseology

I almost never do full stop/taxi backs but the times I have done them, no, they never asked.

I’ve never been asked, I am usually very good at listening to the weather or at least I can see the weather on foreflight which is pretty much always accurate. I’m not sure if weather on foreflight or the D-ATIS counts as having the weather or not? But sometimes I forget the ATIS code (especially for changing airports last minute which I did yesterday due to way too many people in the pattern with reduced visibility - I didn’t want to play around with 8-10 other aircraft in the pattern from all directions), like for real, I may say negative on the weather and then tower would usually read off the winds and ceilings for me and clear me to do what I need to do.

Never for a landing and taxi back for departure. I’m based at a Class D.

Was it the same controller? Shift-change handoff?

I recommend calling KSTS tower and asking them. They are likely to be helpful. Then you can come back here and educate us.

The ground controllers don’t know whether you had the current atis when you landed,was probably checking in case some taxi ways were closed.

Probably just habit on the controllers part on first contact. I think they are required if the information code is not given to them.

so I'm wondering...when you did get it, were there any notams mentioned in ATIS about closed taxiways or similar? Active runway change? etc...? (basically anything pertinent?)

Maybe it was a new controller, or maybe he had just come from working tower so it was out of habit...

Maybe it was a new controller, or maybe he had just come from working tower so it was out of habit...
ATIS is not a “Tower” thing. Ground controllers want you to know it too. Runways in use, taxiway closures, etc. At big airports, including most (all?) Class Bs, there are even separate arrival and departure ATIS broadcasts. An initial call to Ground from the ramp should include the ATIS.

Out of habit? Good possibility. But not from working Tower.

so I'm wondering...when you did get it, were there any notams mentioned in ATIS about closed taxiways or similar? Active runway change? etc...? (basically anything pertinent?)
That.

We were at a towered field with one of the runways and several taxiways closed. We had been flying a good amount, the controllers knew us and knew we were aware of the closures. One time when I checked in, I had gotten the ATIS (for literally the fourth or more time that day) and got lazy and said I “have the ATIS”. The controller replied “which one?” and I answered, to which he replied that he needed to hear the letter, to confirm I heard the NOTAMs. Not sure that’s what was going on in the OP but very possible.

I wonder if the change from Delta to Echo was the reason for the question. If you had Delta, and there was a change that impacted the taxi route, he needed to know that you DID NOT know.

ATIS is not a “Tower” thing. Ground controllers want you to know it too. Runways in use, taxiway closures, etc. At big airports, including most (all?) Class Bs, there are even separate arrival and departure ATIS broadcasts. An initial call to Ground from the ramp should include the ATIS.

Out of habit? Good possibility. But not from working Tower.
Yes I agree, most airports want to ensure you have the ATIS at the first taxi request...

I'll contact clearance delivery at my home airport and specify the ATIS. I'm always asked by the controller after the clearance is delivered to confirm that I have information so-and-so even though I already provided it.

I think it's a required habitual task to always ask.

I got asked that once, I just assumed they did it out of habit. It wasn't a run-of-the-mill taxi either as we were aborting after issues in run up. I just acknowledged I had it. If it wasn't busy that day I may have joked with them.

Back