Proud owner of my first kidney stone...

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Had plans last night to go hang out with the girlfriend's coworkers and have a few drinks and play some video games.

My body had other plans. Started as a mild pain in my lower right abdomen, which then began to become more and more painful. We had just gotten to their house and had dinner when I told the gf we needed to go to the ER. By the time we got there (10 mins) I was in some seriously intense pain. Another 20-25 mins until we got out of the waiting room and into the dr's office.

They hit me with morphine. Twice. Didn't stop the pain. They had to bring out the big guns, some drug they said was about 100x more powerful and only 1mg's worth and it actually took the pain down enough for me to be able to talk.

CT scans, 8mg of morphine, 1mg of this super painkiller, IV, the works. I am the proud owner of my first kidney stone, apparently.

I have heard the FAA does not like kidney stones at all. What do I need to do and request to avoid troubles in the future, other than contact Dr. Bruce?

Also, how do you get these damn things and how bad is passing one? And are they always this intensely painful? Seriously, the worst pain I have felt in my entire life.

I've passed a few of them. It is the worst pain a person can experience. It is that moment when find out that what you previously thought was a 10 on your 1-10 pain scale was really just a 6! Getting a medical will be very problematic. I was able to get my medical because it had been over 10 years since my last kidney stone and the AME stated he would approve since that length of time indicated any remaining stones were stable and not moving. I think you are in for a long road to get your medical. :(

Had plans last night to go hang out with the girlfriend's coworkers and have a few drinks and play some video games.

My body had other plans. Started as a mild pain in my lower right abdomen, which then began to become more and more painful. We had just gotten to their house and had dinner when I told the gf we needed to go to the ER. By the time we got there (10 mins) I was in some seriously intense pain. Another 20-25 mins until we got out of the waiting room and into the dr's office.

They hit me with morphine. Twice. Didn't stop the pain. They had to bring out the big guns, some drug they said was about 100x more powerful and only 1mg's worth and it actually took the pain down enough for me to be able to talk.

CT scans, 8mg of morphine, 1mg of this super painkiller, IV, the works. I am the proud owner of my first kidney stone, apparently.

I have heard the FAA does not like kidney stones at all. What do I need to do and request to avoid troubles in the future, other than contact Dr. Bruce?

Also, how do you get these damn things and how bad is passing one? And are they always this intensely painful? Seriously, the worst pain I have felt in my entire life.

You did check in as John Doe at the ER, right?

Kiss your medical goodbye.

It's not as dramatic as Ed makes it to be.

But that you now are known to produce stones does change things.

On the AOPA board, kidney stones and what to do about the medical has been thoroughly discussed. Head over there to do some background reading and ask Bruce clarification questions.

Drink a Coke a day (phosphoric acid) and eat citrus to help prevent future ones. As for this one, I'd call Bruce...

On the AOPA board, kidney stones and what to do about the medical has been thoroughly discussed. Head over there to do some background reading and ask Bruce clarification questions.

Might want to ask Nick about his experience.

As I recall when I was researching this issue previously, you will need to show scans free of kidney stones in order to get a medical. If you have additional stones on the scan then you will need to have them broken up and removed which may be at your own expense since it is not a medical necessity. Alternatively, you will need to get a urologist to sign off that any remaining stones are stable, not moving, and not in danger of passing. This will be a very lengthy and expensive process, and you still might get a denial. Might want to consider flying LSA and hope for medical reform to eliminate the 3rd class medical.

Not necessarily, although Nick never did get back in the air.

I hope you have lots of friends named Benjamin, it's going to take many such friends to get back in the air.

Also, how do you get these damn things.

A work colleague, who is also a private pilot, never drank water during the day. He didn't want to leave his desk for anything. Especially not for something like a refreshment. Bad for his productivity, he thought. So no water during the day.

He got kidney stones.

This is another example of where the aviation medical is a farce. Counter productive.

So, he had a stone and was in agony within a few minutes and possible could have had airplane control problems. That is typical for the first stone. The FAA medical he possessed would in no way have prevented that!

Now, he is more aware of what they are like (as I am) and will have more time to know they are coming and to get on the ground. The first one, you have no clue. You just know you are dying. The next ones, you get more warning because your body is more attuned to the problem. You will have much more time - you will notice, and associate those twinges of pain with a kidney stone way ahead of how you did the first time. So a kidney stone in all probability will never be an aviation problem for you.
BUT - the FAA says you can't fly now!!

They have it totally back-as-wards!

As others have mentioned, keeping well hydrated is essential if you have a history of producing stones. After passing several stones over a short time period, I began drinking much more water throughout the day and haven't passed a stone in about 13 years.

Water isn't the only thing, you need the acid as well. We used to deal with this in goats who are really prone to them. You need the acid to dissolve the calcium into a form the body can assimilate and turn into bone and such. Without it, the calcium just passes through as a mineral and accumulates into stones in the kidneys.

I would literally pour Coca Cola in the goat's water to manage kidney stones in the herd, and that was at the recommendation of a university vet department lecture on it; it worked well.

Well said. Even if I were to pass another stone, I would know what it was and would have plenty of time to safely land the plane before the pain became problematic. It is the first stone that would be the most dangerous, and no issue getting a medical before the first stone. I am perfectly capable of determining for myself if I am safe to fly. Let's hope medical reform gets passed and eliminates the 3rd class medical!

This is another example of where the aviation medical is a farce. Counter productive.

So, he had a stone and was in agony within a few minutes and possible could have had airplane control problems. That is typical for the first stone. The FAA medical he possessed would in no way have prevented that!

Now, he is more aware of what they are like (as I am) and will have more time to know they are coming and to get on the ground. The first one, you have no clue. You just know you are dying. The next ones, you get more warning because your body is more attuned to the problem. You will have much more time - you will notice, and associate those twinges of pain with a kidney stone way ahead of how you did the first time. So a kidney stone in all probability will never be an aviation problem for you.

I had one about a year before I got my first medical. They just made me go get an X-ray (KUB) showing me stone-free, and gave me a letter cautioning me not to fly if it happened again.

Now, the migraine headaches one was a bigger PITA for sure.

Drink a Coke a day (phosphoric acid) and eat citrus to help prevent future ones. As for this one, I'd call Bruce...

I've heard to avoid phosphoric acid because it can cause kidney stones. Too much cola can cause kidney disease as well. Now citric acid, yes I've read that can prevent them.

Well said. Even if I were to pass another stone, I would know what it was and would have plenty of time to safely land the plane before the pain became problematic. It is the first stone that would be the most dangerous, and no issue getting a medical before the first stone. I am perfectly capable of determining for myself if I am safe to fly. Let's hope medical reform gets passed and eliminates the 3rd class medical!

Concur...I know that that feeling means now, and no way in hell would I go anywhere near an airplane, even as a passenger, if that one happens again.

Actually, it was the only time in my life that the socialized Canadian medical system worked out reasonably well. Normally, an ER in Canada, you check in, and they ask you to go to the waiting room. About 3-5 hours later they call you back, put you in a bed and tell you that a doctor will be there to see you. 3-5 hours later, a doctor shows up to have the first look at you.

With my kidney stone, the triage nurse figured it out when I first checked in. 15 minutes later I was called back, and the doctor met me on the way to my bed and put an order for morphine on my chart when I arrived there.

I've passed a bunch.

Never excruciating. Though admittedly not pleasant.

Phase 1 is kidney to bladder - that's a dull cramping pain that's usually covered by a single Percocet. Sometimes preceded or accompanied by a little blood in the urine.

Within a week or two Phase 2 is bladder to external world. Sharper pain that comes and goes as things move, but still usually in single Percocet territory for me.

My record without intervention is a 9mm (!).

Admittedly, maybe I've never had a total blockage - THAT may be where the excruciatiing pain comes from.

In any case, if the stone is calcium oxalate - the most common by far - there are foods to avoid, though current advice is not to cut back on calcium. Tea, peanut butter and dark green vegetables are among the things to avoid in excess.

I also take Potassium Citrate tablets 3x per day. That seems to cut down on the frequency of the stones and makes them fragment into much smaller pieces when blasted.

And hydrate like crazy. It's rare I'm without my CamelBack! And Percocet!

Incidentally, I'm stone free right now. But I let my medical lapse because the annual Special Issuances were leading to excessive tests and treatment and worry.

Last edited:

I've had two (declared on medical already) and the second was worse. You've already "passed it" during the painful part. When it exits your bladder you may not even feel it, where you'd think it would hurt the most.

My only suggestion to anyone who gets one, don't be manly and tough it out. If it hasn't passed in one day, go get it blasted out (lithotripsy). I suffered for 5 days, popping Vicodin like candy with little result, and ended up with a kidney infection that the doc said was hours away from a blood infection, which is deadly, quickly.

And for what it's worth, I know a woman that's had two kids naturally and said the stones hurt a lot more.

My KS story - got it the day after my PP checkride.

It hit me in the middle of the night, and within a few minutes I was on the bathroom floor, curled up with the dry heaves after I puked out whatever was left in me.

FAA is really wary of kidney stones because of the potential for "sudden incapacitation".

As far as my own FAA experience:

1) See a urologist ASAP, not just your regular PCP.
2) Do everything in your power to catch that stone - it's a big deal.
3) Try to avoid MRI and CT scans - they are very sensitive and can show things that are not seen on a KUB x-ray (which FAA will accept). If something shows, it has to be explained, but if it doesn't show at all then no problem.

FAA will want to know, from a urologist, the composition of the stone and what steps you are doing to prevent recurrence. That's why you need to catch the stone so a lab can analyze it. Most stones are reasonably controlled by drinking more water so everything in your kidneys stays diluted. Other stones are made of of some other minerals that are controlled differently.

FAA will want to know, from a urologist and some kind of imaging, that there are no other stones present. This is why you want to use the minimum resolution imaging they will accept (KUB x-ray).

If there IS something present on the imaging, FAA will want a urologist to state that whatever it is, it is "retained" (unlikely to break loose), and if the urologist can write the report in such a way that he avoids the use of the word "stone" that's even better.

This was a number of years ago, so I can't remember all the details: I self-grounded until my urologist and I decided there was no medical reason not to (I am pretty sure I had consulted with someone, maybe Dr Chein about this to make sure it was OK to do). When I saw my AME the next time, I needed a clean KUB and report from my urologist that I was stone free (less than 90-days old). There was no deferral, the AME issued my medical and mailed in the paperwork. A couple months later I got a letter from FAA telling me that I needed to report any change in condition. Now I just report it to my AME as "Previously reported, no change".

--

I don't know Nick's details - but if you do have multiple stones sill inside, FAA probably won't give you a medical unless they are convinced they pose no risk.

--

Best thing to do is check with Dr. Chein or another AME for a consult on how to proceed. AOPA Medical might be able to help answer questions, too.

Water isn't the only thing, you need the acid as well. We used to deal with this in goats who are really prone to them. You need the acid to dissolve the calcium into a form the body can assimilate and turn into bone and such. Without it, the calcium just passes through as a mineral and accumulates into stones in the kidneys.

I would literally pour Coca Cola in the goat's water to manage kidney stones in the herd, and that was at the recommendation of a university vet department lecture on it; it worked well.

My God, Henning... Isn't there anything you haven't done??? Just Ask'n...:dunno:

Kidney stone? Not a problem. See your AME. Follow his/her advice. Get the stone(s) removed. The post removal (I had to have real surgery, not lithotripsy) Dr report to go to the FAA should include information as the size, location, probability of happening again, success of removing and a view other reports.

I also had testing done to find out what the stone was made of so I could work to prevent it from happening again. Basically pee in a jar for 24 hours and they test to see what is in it. (yuck)

I have a second class medical, and was not flying for a month until I cleared by the FAA.

Probably SI for a year, year and a half, then back to regular medical. If there are no more stones than maybe not even an SI.

For me, soft drinks was the problem. I haven't had a soft drink for something like 3 years now. Lot of joint pain is gone, and I no longer get any stern warnings from my AME peeing in the cup.

I'm really sorry to hear this OD, but don't give up yet. A friend of mine had one several years ago and he echoed the same opinion: "worst pain in his life". Three years ago he bought a Diamond DA40 and is flying regularly.

A few things you should know:

1. You made a mistake by having the CT scan done - but it isn't like you knew better when you were drugged up, and the ER docs have no idea that the FAA has their head up their ass. Because of the CT scan, KUB is no longer an option for certification
2. You will need another CT scan that shows no more stones for a clear medical. If you can't get an all clear, you'll need two CT scans 90 days apart that show no movement of the stone(s), and then you'll get a year by year Special Issuance.
3. Until your medical expires, you are in self certification land. Enjoy it while you can - if you find yourself in my situation, where you can't get an all clear CT or a CT without movement, these will be the last years of flying for you, unless...
4. If you can't get an all clear, DO NOT REAPPLY FOR YOUR MEDICAL. Let it lapse, and at least you retain Sport Pilot rights (this is where I am right now).

I'd recommend Doc Bruce when it comes time to renew if you can't get the clear CT. He has some advice for 99% of people that will likely help you fly again.

The first one was 2006 and was the worst because, like another poster said, you don't know what's happening. With the next 2 I knew. No Dr except for the first one ... and no mention of it on the FAA medical or the associated red tape and cost.

Not proposing that you do that. But that's what I did and it worked for me.

Lemon Juice: Drinking one-half cup of pure lemon juice (enough to make eight glasses of lemonade) every day raises citrate levels in the urine, which might protect against calcium stones. (While orange juice also increases citrate levels, it does not lower calcium and it raises oxalate levels. Therefore, it is not recommended.)
Soft Drinks. Patients with stones should avoid cola drinks with phosphoric acid, because they can severely reduce citrate levels in the urine. Drinks containing citrate seem to be okay,
The best way to avoid stones is to drink water frequently throughout the day and empty your bladder frequently. You're doing a good job if your stream loses its color and looks like water.

The first time a stone blocked me up I had no idea what was going on or where the pain was coming from. Morphine did nothing and the pain, while not exactly unbearable, just wouldn't go away. I thought it was stomach pain, maybe gas pain at first. Eventually the pain made me throw up and I agreed to go to the hospital about the third time my wife offered to take me. Once I knew what was going on, I got a better grip and learned to ride out the waves of immobilizing pain. It was usually most "comfortable" to just lie down in bed and stare at the ceiling, but sometimes I would pace around and scream into a pillow.

I kind of feel like the first stone bored a passage for the second. They were about the same size but the second one wasn't nearly as debilitating. For me the most painful times were while it was moving through the kidney and pushing into the bladder--basically when it was causing the most restriction to flow / most pressure. Finally shooting it out into a screened funnel was a most joyous occasion--relatively no pain.

The two stones were about a week apart and close to 2 years before I got my PPL so we put it down as a single occurrence with no indication of current stones. You'll have to prove you're stone-free either by time or by scans.

I started carrying a 1 liter water bottle around so I can know how much I did or didn't drink during the day.

Speaking of nasty...

19959773081_22469e42d5_z.jpg

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Looks more like 10mm. :yikes:

We considered getting it bronzed and making an earring out of it but Karen had second thoughts.

I've passed a few of them. It is the worst pain a person can experience. It is that moment when find out that what you previously thought was a 10 on your 1-10 pain scale was really just a 6! Getting a medical will be very problematic. I was able to get my medical because it had been over 10 years since my last kidney stone and the AME stated he would approve since that length of time indicated any remaining stones were stable and not moving. I think you are in for a long road to get your medical.
Yeah, about that much of a pain scale change here Hard to even comprehend how bad it was, even just 1 day later. They weren’t sure if it was a burst appendix or kidney stone. They asked if I had testicle pain on top of everything else, and after the blinding pain started to come down, I realized that it was a yes.

You did check in as John Doe at the ER, right?
I did not. I hobbled in the front door and could barely write my name and info down.

Will do, thank you.

As I recall when I was researching this issue previously, you will need to show scans free of kidney stones in order to get a medical. If you have additional stones on the scan then you will need to have them broken up and removed which may be at your own expense since it is not a medical necessity. Alternatively, you will need to get a urologist to sign off that any remaining stones are stable, not moving, and not in danger of passing. This will be a very lengthy and expensive process, and you still might get a denial. Might want to consider flying LSA and hope for medical reform to eliminate the 3rd class medical.
I just might have to do that. Not financially endowed currently unfortunately.

Not necessarily, although Nick never did get back in the air.

I hope you have lots of friends named Benjamin, it's going to take many such friends to get back in the air.
Lincolns maybe… I don’t even live in the same neighborhood as Benjamin.

A work colleague, who is also a private pilot, never drank water during the day. He didn't want to leave his desk for anything. Especially not for something like a refreshment. Bad for his productivity, he thought. So no water during the day.

He got kidney stones.
I could probably stand to drink more water. Never that bad though, I like breaks too much.

I mean, I can see why they would want to stop people from having kidney stones… that pain was unbearable even just sitting still. But I had never even thought of it and I have a 3rd class medical and could have very well been flying and that was fine with the FAA. Even though I’m going to get this checked out even farther personally no matter what so that I don’t end up having it happen during flight or even just anywhere remote without help, the FAA is going to make me from now on and decide if I can or not. :/

As others have mentioned, keeping well hydrated is essential if you have a history of producing stones. After passing several stones over a short time period, I began drinking much more water throughout the day and haven't passed a stone in about 13 years.
Thanks for the input, I could stand to be better hydrated. Trying to not drink myself sick with water and drinking more than ‘thirsty’ is a wide margin. How much do you drink a day?

If the 3rd class medical comes out, would I still be subject to special issuance/denial/etc? I mean, like I said above, no matter what I’m getting this looked at and analyzed and changing to make it never happen again, but I’d rather that decision be in my own hands instead of the FAA.

Mistake.

Per Dr. Chien, once you get a CT scan, you need to keep getting CT scans to show that you are stone free.

A KUB is less sensitive and is more likely to show you as stoneless.

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources...ion-and-Conditions/Urology/Kidney-Stones.aspx
Great. I was in so much pain, then a bit out of it after the drugs that I just wanted the problem solved and I didn’t care how they found it or looked at it. I was scared too, nothing has ever hurt that badly.

I've passed a bunch.

Never excruciating. Though admittedly not pleasant.

Phase 1 is kidney to bladder - that's a dull cramping pain that's usually covered by a single Percocet. Sometimes preceded or accompanied by a little blood in the urine.

Within a week or two Phase 2 is bladder to external world. Sharper pain that comes and goes as things move, but still usually in single Percocet territory for me.

My record without intervention is a 9mm (!).

Admittedly, maybe I've never had a total blockage - THAT may be where the excruciatiing pain comes from.

In any case, if the stone is calcium oxalate - the most common by far - there are foods to avoid, though current advice is not to cut back on calcium. Tea, peanut butter and dark green vegetables are among the things to avoid in excess.

I also take Potassium Citrate tablets 3x per day. That seems to cut down on the frequency of the stones and makes them fragment into much smaller pieces when blasted.

And hydrate like crazy. It's rare I'm without my CamelBack! And Percocet!

Incidentally, I'm stone free right now. But I let my medical lapse because the annual Special Issuances were leading to excessive tests and treatment and worry.
The doc said 3-5 days and gave me a doctor’s note for 3 to be off work and not be fueling/towing planes or driving 45 mins each way to work on these drugs. The doctor also said it was probably due to too much calcium in my diet, which is interesting. I don’t really drink tea, or dark green leafy stuff very often, but I do have PBJ’s frequently enough. How much do you drink a day out of curiosity? Also that picture is terrifying O_O

I've had two (declared on medical already) and the second was worse. You've already "passed it" during the painful part. When it exits your bladder you may not even feel it, where you'd think it would hurt the most.

My only suggestion to anyone who gets one, don't be manly and tough it out. If it hasn't passed in one day, go get it blasted out (lithotripsy). I suffered for 5 days, popping Vicodin like candy with little result, and ended up with a kidney infection that the doc said was hours away from a blood infection, which is deadly, quickly.

And for what it's worth, I know a woman that's had two kids naturally and said the stones hurt a lot more.
I was told to call the urologist tomorrow and schedule an appointment, but they said 3-5 days for it to get out of my system. The weird thing is that I’m throwing up more than anything else, the pain isn’t that bad. They have me on…Hydrocodone, for pain. I can still feel twings here and there but on the whole it feels manageable.

My KS story - got it the day after my PP checkride…
What a terrible time to have it happen. I am glad I made it to the ER and they took me fast enough to get help, I don’t know what I would’ve done, it was honestly enough to make me pass out if I didn’t get helped in the next 5 minutes. At least it felt that way.

Thank you for the writeup, I am going to be making an appointment with the urologist anyway and doing these things as they happen is what I was looking to do instead of chasing bad reporting or the wrong tests. If I had known not to have a CT scan before the fact… but hindsight is 20/20.

If I wanted to get a CT scan to actually see if there was any problem coming or not for my own health aside from the FAA, would that be automatically reported or would I have to go in John Doe style to take care of my personal health visits? Also do I have to report this now or within 90 days or just on the next medical?

Kidney stone? Not a problem. See your AME. Follow his/her advice. Get the stone(s) removed. The post removal (I had to have real surgery, not lithotripsy) Dr report to go to the FAA should include information as the size, location, probability of happening again, success of removing and a view other reports.

I also had testing done to find out what the stone was made of so I could work to prevent it from happening again. Basically pee in a jar for 24 hours and they test to see what is in it. (yuck)

I have a second class medical, and was not flying for a month until I cleared by the FAA.

Probably SI for a year, year and a half, then back to regular medical. If there are no more stones than maybe not even an SI.

For me, soft drinks was the problem. I haven't had a soft drink for something like 3 years now. Lot of joint pain is gone, and I no longer get any stern warnings from my AME peeing in the cup.
Fortunately the CT scan said it was small enough to pass so that it wouldn’t be an issue most likely. I can’t afford to fly right now anyway, much less pay the medical bills from that visit on my own (mom’s insurance more than thankfully). Working on catching the stone.

I'm really sorry to hear this OD, but don't give up yet. A friend of mine had one several years ago and he echoed the same opinion: "worst pain in his life". Three years ago he bought a Diamond DA40 and is flying regularly.
Thank you John. The only thing more scary than the pain coming out of nowhere and being so intense was realizing that I might not fly again due to it while laying there with an IV in me. Good to see that there’s more than just doom and gloom at least.

A few things you should know:

1. You made a mistake by having the CT scan done - but it isn't like you knew better when you were drugged up, and the ER docs have no idea that the FAA has their head up their ass. Because of the CT scan, KUB is no longer an option for certification
2. You will need another CT scan that shows no more stones for a clear medical. If you can't get an all clear, you'll need two CT scans 90 days apart that show no movement of the stone(s), and then you'll get a year by year Special Issuance.
3. Until your medical expires, you are in self certification land. Enjoy it while you can - if you find yourself in my situation, where you can't get an all clear CT or a CT without movement, these will be the last years of flying for you, unless...
4. If you can't get an all clear, DO NOT REAPPLY FOR YOUR MEDICAL. Let it lapse, and at least you retain Sport Pilot rights (this is where I am right now).

I'd recommend Doc Bruce when it comes time to renew if you can't get the clear CT. He has some advice for 99% of people that will likely help you fly again.
Thank you sir, will follow the advice.

The first one was 2006 and was the worst because, like another poster said, you don't know what's happening. With the next 2 I knew. No Dr except for the first one ... and no mention of it on the FAA medical or the associated red tape and cost.

Not proposing that you do that. But that's what I did and it worked for me.
Nervous about omitting anything from the FAA. I’m scared enough of it happening to me again even on the ground that I’m going to try to have myself checked out thoroughly if I can afford it through insurance. Do not want.

I started carrying a 1 liter water bottle around so I can know how much I did or didn't drink during the day.
Been through ½ gallon today while I’ve been awake. How much do you go through a day?

The best way to avoid stones is to drink water frequently throughout the day and empty your bladder frequently. You're doing a good job if your stream loses its color and looks like water.

I kind of feel like the first stone bored a passage for the second. They were about the same size but the second one wasn't nearly as debilitating. For me the most painful times were while it was moving through the kidney and pushing into the bladder--basically when it was causing the most restriction to flow / most pressure. Finally shooting it out into a screened funnel was a most joyous occasion--relatively no pain.

The two stones were about a week apart and close to 2 years before I got my PPL so we put it down as a single occurrence with no indication of current stones. You'll have to prove you're stone-free either by time or by scans.
Oof. I don’t even want to think about a 2nd one. Thanks for your experience.

What a terrible time to have it happen. I am glad I made it to the ER and they took me fast enough to get help, I don’t know what I would’ve done, it was honestly enough to make me pass out if I didn’t get helped in the next 5 minutes. At least it felt that way.

If it was meant to happen, then I'm glad it wasn't 24 hrs sooner. It was the day after my checkride - one day earlier and I would have been grounded for a while and would have had to reschedule the ride and re-train to get ready for it all over again.

Thank you for the writeup, I am going to be making an appointment with the urologist anyway and doing these things as they happen is what I was looking to do instead of chasing bad reporting or the wrong tests. If I had known not to have a CT scan before the fact… but hindsight is 20/20.

If I wanted to get a CT scan to actually see if there was any problem coming or not for my own health aside from the FAA, would that be automatically reported or would I have to go in John Doe style to take care of my personal health visits? Also do I have to report this now or within 90 days or just on the next medical?

In my case - I got a CT at the ER, I didn't know any better. The scan showed only one stone, the one I was dealing with. Later, when I saw my AME, I submitted a KUB that showed clean. FAA didn't give me any grief about this at all. Apparently (again, in my case) the initial scan, a hi res CT, didn't show anything that would NOT have shown up in a low res KUB. So it seems like FAA was happy enough. Now, if the initial CT showed anything else at all that would have been small enough for a KUB to miss, then I'm sure they would have wanted another CT and wouldn't have accepted the KUB.

My recollection:

I self grounded until my doc and I were happy enough that I was OK to resume normal activities. I then got a followup KUB and report from my urologist just prior to my next normally scheduled AME visit.

Been through ½ gallon today while I’ve been awake. How much do you go through a day?

I fill a 1-liter bottle in the morning before I head to work, and try to finish it before I get home. During the day I drink coffee, a couple of glasses of water at lunch, and the water bottle. Later, I have another glass or so of water at dinner and keep a cup of icewater nearby. I don't really know how much I really drink each day, but 1/2 gal is probably close.

--

Regarding pain - when I got to the ER about 1AM, the nurses didn't even have to ask, they could tell from the way I stumbled in, "Looks like a kidney stone..." Then the nurse was asking me to rate the pain on a 1-10 scale. I was fighting it so hard I couldn't talk, she said, "I'll take that as a 10."

Could be. Your doc should be able to tell from the CT what to expect. And if the CT only showed one - then that would be it.

That's, what, 2mm?

If it was meant to happen, then I'm glad it wasn't 24 hrs sooner. It was the day after my checkride - one day earlier and I would have been grounded for a while and would have had to reschedule the ride and re-train to get ready for it all over again.
True, but having your first one just after completing your checkride is a terrible time to have it, I'm glad it didn't shut you down medically. Just hoping it doesn't do the same for me.

In my case - I got a CT at the ER, I didn't know any better. The scan showed only one stone, the one I was dealing with. Later, when I saw my AME, I submitted a KUB that showed clean. FAA didn't give me any grief about this at all. Apparently (again, in my case) the initial scan, a hi res CT, didn't show anything that would NOT have shown up in a low res KUB. So it seems like FAA was happy enough. Now, if the initial CT showed anything else at all that would have been small enough for a KUB to miss, then I'm sure they would have wanted another CT and wouldn't have accepted the KUB.

My recollection:

I self grounded until my doc and I were happy enough that I was OK to resume normal activities. I then got a followup KUB and report from my urologist just prior to my next normally scheduled AME visit.
I'm hoping this will be the case for me as well. And to be honest I think it's fair, I'm going to make sure I don't have any stones lined up ready to do that to me again if I can help it. I was 10 mins away from the ER and with a driver right next to me and I still barely made it. Can't imagine having to wait any more time at all.

I fill a 1-liter bottle in the morning before I head to work, and try to finish it before I get home. During the day I drink coffee, a couple of glasses of water at lunch, and the water bottle. Later, I have another glass or so of water at dinner and keep a cup of icewater nearby. I don't really know how much I really drink each day, but 1/2 gal is probably close.

I usually don't drink this much, some days I admit I don't drink much at all until I feel thirsty. I am going to be changing that and doing something like what you do, have it right next to me so there's no excuse and also so I can keep track of how much.

Regarding pain - when I got to the ER about 1AM, the nurses didn't even have to ask, they could tell from the way I stumbled in, "Looks like a kidney stone..." Then the nurse was asking me to rate the pain on a 1-10 scale. I was fighting it so hard I couldn't talk, she said, "I'll take that as a 10."
The GF dropped me at the front desk at 12:55 and I hobbled in and seriously could barely write my own name. The GF actually caught up and finished the form for me. During the initial eval, I said 7-8 pain scale. Massive mistake, right after I sat down I could have said 11 and it wouldn't have been enough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back