Proud Father Announcement

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I just got a text message that my son now has IA on his certificate. I flew with him Sunday as a safety pilot and he did great, so I'm not surprised. But I am happy for him.
The DPE's airport is about 130 nm from here, and it's IFR at both ends. He'll have to file :D.

I just got a text message that my son now has IA on his certificate. I flew with him Sunday as a safety pilot and he did great, so I'm not surprised. But I am happy for him.
The DPE's airport is about 130 nm from here, and it's IFR at both ends. He'll have to file :D.
Awesome! Which airport?

Airport was KDQH.
BTW, he did it with his new iPAD as the primary source for charts, writing clearances, etc.. With paper backup of course. I am very interested to hear how this went because the DPE is definitely a senior citizen and may have been skeptical about this. I'll report once I'm debriefed this afternoon.

Very cool for him and for you! :thumbsup:

I would have offered congrats, but I figured you would have raised a kid better than to let him buy an iPad.

At first I was :D and then I was :mad:

Congrats though, really.....maybe. :p

Airport was KDQH.
BTW, he did it with his new iPAD as the primary source for charts, writing clearances, etc.. With paper backup of course. I am very interested to hear how this went because the DPE is definitely a senior citizen and may have been skeptical about this. I'll report once I'm debriefed this afternoon.

Will sure love to hear what the DPE thought about the iPad!

Here are Lane's comments regarding the DPE and his iPAD:

i believe "neat" was the word he used

seemed pretty impressed by it having all the stuff

he asked how much it was and it sounded like he liked that too

especially $75/year for every chart in north america

he had no problem with me using it and he never failed it so i didn't even look at paper, except to mark the airports in the approach book before we left as a backup

he had no problem with me using it and he never failed it so i didn't even look at paper, except to mark the airports in the approach book before we left as a backup

Thanks for passing that along Lance. One of these days we'll have to meet.

I did my Commercial ride at DQH with who i'm sure is the same senior citizen. Nice man. Congrats to your son, that is a major achievement!

Brings up a good point though,.. the DPE could have "Failed" the iPad during flight and forced the use of the paper. Wonder how many DPE's would do that as the use of the EFB's becomes more popular?

Of course, if it was a Window's OS EFB, it would just be a wait and see the Blue Screen of Death, then resort to Paper. :D

Of course, if it was a Window's OS EFB, it would just be a wait and see the Blue Screen of Death, then resort to Paper. :D

There's a reason why I keep paper in my plane with my AnywhereMap as my primary source. :)

Congrats Lance! Great to hear your Son is following in your footsteps! Probably just a natural talent like you.

Best,

Dave

Back