Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

Plano Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Plano Pilot
My Dad was with them from the mid 50's until the strike in 83. He started as FO on DC-3 then FE on DC6, DC7 and 707. Then FO on Viscount then Captain on it. Captain DC-9, 727 and DC-10. After the strike he flew Corporate 727's around the world. It has been almost 4 years since he passed. He also flew Air Mic.

Farewell to the Proud Bird with the Golden Tail - YouTube

Air Mic. I wish I could have gotten there earlier than I did. It is a shadow of its former self.

It was fun while it lasted, though.

Air Mic. I wish I could have gotten there earlier than I did. It is a shadow of its former self.

It was fun while it lasted, though.

We were out there in the early 70's and again in the late 70's to early 80's. Dad said it was his best airline job. When were you out there?

Picture of Dad, Jack, from
Air Micronesia (Air Mike) The Early Years
William Grimes
It is on Amazon.
20221203_182534.jpg

This video was taken a few years before he got out there. Air Micronesia Airlines - YouTube

Trans-Texas-TTa%20DC-3%20N18121%20%2861%29%28Grd%29%20SAT%20%28CVC%29%2846%29-S.jpg

My first commercial flight (and first airplane ride that I remember) was on a plane that looked similar to the one pictured above. The airline was better known as tree top airways...

The flight attendant stewardess took me to the cockpit to meet the pilots. Both of those guys were as skinny as a skeleton and wearing baggy khaki clothes. I am pretty sure that they had flown C-47s over the hump back in the day of the second unpleasantness.

TTA had a part in the Continental history.

When you shipped to Southeast Asia, Continental was one of the 4 carriers you flew in and out on.
You can thank the Johnsons for that.

Trans-Texas-TTa%20DC-3%20N18121%20%2861%29%28Grd%29%20SAT%20%28CVC%29%2846%29-S.jpg

My first commercial flight (and first airplane ride that I remember) was on a plane that looked similar to the one pictured above.

The airplane in your photo is N18121, DC-3 s/n 1997. Captain Eddie Rickenbacker himself took delivery of the airplane on behalf of Eastern Airlines at the Santa Monica factory in 1939. It also flew for TTA, and Provincetown-Boston Airlines (as N36PB). It was restored to EAL colors with its original registration, and displayed at the Pearson Air Museum in Vancouver WA for several years. It's been restored again and is still flying. At over 91,000 hours, it is believed to be the highest-airframe-time piston airplane in the world.

0513499.jpeg

The airplane in your photo is N18121, DC-3 s/n 1997. Captain Eddie Rickenbacker himself took delivery of the airplane on behalf of Eastern Airlines at the Santa Monica factory in 1939. It also flew for TTA, and Provincetown-Boston Airlines (as N36PB). It was restored to EAL colors with its original registration, and displayed at the Pearson Air Museum in Vancouver WA for several years. It's been restored again and is still flying. At over 91,000 hours, it is believed to be the highest-airframe-time piston airplane in the world.

View attachment 112825

Wow...thanks for that info.!! I just picked a stock photo that looked like the plane I was in 55 years ago.

One time I sat in the pilot seat of a DC-6 that was once owned and flown by Howard Hughes, but I wasn't smart enough to take pictures.

I probably knew your dad. Never flew with him, I'm sure. but I grew up knowing many CAL pilots. My Dad was WAL and we had many friends at CAL. After the FAL bankruptcy and getting merged into CAL I flew there for the rest of my career. Retiring after the UAL purchase. (read the 8K statement for those facts) What a wild ride. Guess that is what makes a flavorful career. The retirement group gets together regularly. It's nice to touch base with those you worked with and probably disagreed with most of your career. but we got passed it.
If you ever want to join us for breakfast, your welcome. Dec 14 will be breakfast at the Perfect Landing @ APA. Centennial,Co.

I probably knew your dad. Never flew with him, I'm sure. but I grew up knowing many CAL pilots. My Dad was WAL and we had many friends at CAL. After the FAL bankruptcy and getting merged into CAL I flew there for the rest of my career. Retiring after the UAL purchase. (read the 8K statement for those facts) What a wild ride. Guess that is what makes a flavorful career. The retirement group gets together regularly. It's nice to touch base with those you worked with and probably disagreed with most of your career. but we got passed it.
If you ever want to join us for breakfast, your welcome. Dec 14 will be breakfast at the Perfect Landing @ APA. Centennial,Co.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind. I do not get to Denver much; we live in Dallas.

Back