Protonix, Nexium, and False Positive Drug Tests

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
A recent article from AOPA Pilot Protection Services states that Proton Pump Inhibitors, along with some other medications, can cause a urine drug screen to be falsely positive for THC.

Have you known anyone who’s run afoul of this?

What recourse would you have if you were on the wrong side of it? My son just got hired for a Major. He’s been taking Nexium for GERD for a long time, and he’s worried about it.

Here’s the article. https://pilot-protection-services.a...1/say-again-i-tested-positive-for-what-part-1

I work in a hospital laboratory performing assays on various specimens. I had not heard this, but I’ll look into it at work this evening if I get the chance. It could be very specific to certain instrumentation or methodologies, and not a universal source of error for that analyte.

A quick scan of the chemical literature shows that some urine immunoassay tests can produce false positives for cannibinoids in the presence of pantoprozole (Protonix). As others have pointed out, these positives should normally be confirmed by an a different, more specific analytical methodology.

Wow, a valid, timely response that is on topic and not demeaning. Am I on the wrong site?
@charheep doesn't know the throttle from the mixture control and sits when he pees. There, now you can be sure you're on PoA and the thread can continue, lol.

Back