Proposed panel upgrade

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
So, I just bought a C182R with PPonk upgrade (120hrs SMOH). Haven't actually flown it yet as I'm now back in Iraq, but it's a slow period and I'm already thinking about the panel upgrade. I'd probably do this in the coming winter. I'll fly it for the year first to better fine tune what I really want to do. Typical flights will be long haul trips from a Pittsburgh base; Alaskan tour, Eastern Canada, Caribbean, South/Central America, across the pond to tour around much of Europe for a summer, and ultimately a round-the-world.

Non-panel-wise I plan to add Flint tip tanks, potentially a baggage bay tank, and maybe the Sportsman STOL leading edge.

Here's the current panel. It's perfectly capable. My upgrade is more for future-proofing, and my own enjoyment, than anything. I'm hoping to keep this aircraft a nice long time.

05FcgCG.jpg

My current plan is to remove and sell the 430W, KX155, GPSMap 496, and GTX330.

I will install, from top to bottom:

GTN 650
GNC 255A
Relocated JPI-730
GTX 345

In the main panel I will replace most instruments with a 10" landscape G500 TXi. The STEC 30 will remain. I'll tie it all together with a new metal upper panel.

I'd be interested in people's thought! Also; do you think it's worth keeping the DME? Can't see it getting much use but it might be useful abroad. I'm leaning towards just ripping it out and using GPS though. I really like a clean minimalist looking panel.

For what it's worth, I like your planned upgrades. The only thing I would add is considering your world-wide travels is that maybe I'd do a dual GPS configuration with maybe a GTN 750/650 or keeping the 430W.

Congrats on the plane and good luck with the upgrades!

Thanks for the feedback! I assume you're thinking about redundancy, or is there something I'm missing?

I've read that a 750 can crossfill to a 430W. I think that would make the 430W an excellent #2.

Then I'd watch the G5 progress.

Luckily your "base panel" is quite nice, so you've got time to watch the developments in the biz.

Back