Proposed Operation?

ryancrj

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rcj
I am researching the legalities behind an operation in which a light aircraft owner hires a commercially certified pilot to operate his aircraft for him for the purposes of travel. The operation would not be available to the public and would be for the owners use only. If I am reading 119.1 (a) correctly, the operation would not require certification and would be permissible under part 91 because it is not for common carriage, aircraft has less than 20 seats, and has less than 6,000lb payload capacity. Am I right in my assessment and is there anything else I am missing? Thanks for all the help!

Yes, this is private carriage (aka part 91). A commercial operators certificate is not required, just a commercial pilot certificate.

Yes, this is private carriage (aka part 91). A commercial operators certificate is not required, just a commercial pilot certificate.

And a current second class medical that has been issued within the previous 12 calendar months.

And a current second class medical that has been issued within the previous 12 calendar months.
A First Class issued within the preceding 12 calendar months will do fine, too. :wink2:

But the overall answer of "yes" is correct. Any aircraft owner can hire a pilot with Commercial privileges (Commercial or ATP certificate plus medical certificate valid for Commercial privileges) to fly the owner's airplane, and the owner can allow anybody at all to ride as long as nobody but the aircraft owner is paying for it or otherwise compensating the aircraft owner. The OP correctly points out that aircraft falling under Part 125 would have additional requirements, as would aircraft falling under Subpart F of Part 91, but those are special cases.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back