property taxes

Zero, afaik. We do have to pay sales taxes however and they're enforcing that much more actively than they used to.

Zero in Colorado. Sales tax is 3% of value, either book or by bill of sale.

Zero - but we have a one time 6% use tax when we purchase.

I pay Personal Property Tax on the plane but I'm not sure how much because they don't split it out. Last year's total bill was $440 for the plane, three cars, a canoe & trailer, a tractor, and a skidsteer.

In Missouri it's a county tax as are Real Estate taxes. They both are the primary funding for schools, county roads, PDs, FDs, ambulance districts, etc., so it varies from county to county. I live in a very rural area so my taxes are cheap comparatively speaking.

There is no State tax but the County gets its dibs.

No sales tax ,yearly registration fee,by weight. I'm up to 125.00 a year.

not bad then it seems. I will have to find out from my county as to county taxes. Kansas loves to tax us to death!

I should correct that Colorado's tax is a use tax for non-dealer purchases. A technical point I suppose.

Initial clip is 9.25% at purchase, zip after that.

California varies by county, but in general it is approximately 1% of the assessed value assessed values are realistic or a bit low) per year. The pain is doing the annual property valuation form where you have to tell them any significant work done to increase the value, but it is offset by airframe/engine hour reporting, which drops the assessed value with higher hours.

Zero - but we have a one time 6% use tax when we purchase.
Same in MN except I think it's 6.5%. There is an annual "registration fee" which is around $170 for the Baron and $30 for the taildragger.

Virginia has a yearly personal property tax that includes airplanes, boats, cars,RVs. The tax varies by county. The county in which I live is particularly high at 4% per year. The next county over is 0.75%, so if I purchased an airplane, I certainly wont hangar it in this county.

Vtrginia does NOT. Many Virginia counties do at largely varying rates.

Okay fine. Virginia COUNTIES have a personal property tax. I checked all the surrounding counties and every single one of them has a personal property tax of varying rates. I really don't see why you have to be so nitpicky when I already said it's a county tax in my previous post.

Nothing annually in Florida, but a 6% use tax when you purchase.

Okay fine. Virginia COUNTIES have a personal property tax. I checked all the surrounding counties and every single one of them has a personal property tax of varying rates. I really don't see why you have to be so nitpicky when I already said it's a county tax in my previous post.

I don't know what point you are surrounding your counties with but some have a floor on the PP tax where they don't bother even collecting it. Then there are some that have not only quite hefty rates but a rather facist tax department (Frederick County, where OKV is located comes to mind).

Virginia has a yearly personal property tax that includes airplanes, boats, cars,RVs. The tax varies by county. The county in which I live is particularly high at 4% per year. The next county over is 0.75%, so if I purchased an airplane, I certainly wont hangar it in this county.

4% per year... WOW......

Let's say..... I buy a new Citation 10 @ 35 million and then have to pay the local Personal Property Tax of 1 million 4 hundred thousand dollars a YEAR... :hairraise::eek::yikes:...

I bet you guys don't have many biz jets registered there ??

I pay around $1,000 for two aircraft in Georgia. Of course there are ways around (LLC) if you work hard at it. I just pay my taxes and forget about it.

Montana has no sales tax, but the airplane has an annual fee in lieu of property tax for them which is graduated lower based on age.

Quite possibly 4% of assessed valuation which, in Missouri, is a far cry from true value.

Yeah, I think you're right, if I use my car tax bills as examples.

I know of one lawyer who registered his Cirrus in Delaware. Other people seem to have some creative registering also.

Zero in my state. The Dept of Aviation lives off an annual registration fee, which produces very little revenue for the DoA to do much of anything.

I don't consider the registration a property tax. Plus we get a sectional and AF/D for the cost of that.

In Idaho we pay the registration now 3 cents/lb gross weight in lieu of property tax. If you opt not to register it then you will be billed 5% of the value Property tax on it instead.

Brian

I should correct that Colorado's tax is a use tax for non-dealer purchases. A technical point I suppose.

Yeah. They catch the sales tax at the dealers and didn't like being cut out of the loop by private sales.

anything over 30 yrs old in kansas is exempt

Zero in Tennessee.

There IS a property tax in Kansas unless your plane is used for commercial purposes 80% or greater, or if you plane is an "antique" (meaning 25 years old or greater.)

Jim

Zero in my state. The Dept of Aviation lives off an annual registration fee, which produces very little revenue for the DoA to do much of anything.

The Virginia department of aviation gets a small fee ($5 for non-commercial operators, $10 for commercial) as well.

The money from the personal property tax goes directly into lining the county coffers (which for all but two counties in Virginia) don't even pay for the roads.

About a decade or so ago, a candidate for governor ran on the promise to get rid of the "car tax" (personal property on automobiles). Of course, the state doesn't actually collect that tax so it has no authority to abolish it. What they did is start a state rebate to the counties to defray a percentage of the tax. Of course, that also came at a decrease in the state's contribution to the counties for other purposes (primarily education). So the counties did what they had to do (increase real estate and other taxes they collect).

The first two counties I was in taxed the plane at such a reduced rate (something that was a net of like $6) that they didn't even bother to try to collect it. Frederick (where my plane was only "based" because after I evacuated there from the DC-3 after 9/11 I had an engine failure so it sat there engineless while I tried to figure out what I was going to do. Not only is Frederick County tax rate much higher (they tax it at the same rate as cars) than Fairfax and Loudoun but they would not accept any explanation that a 50 year old airplane without an engine in it was not worth the "blue book" value they were assessing.

After I got the plane restored, I moved it to Culpeper. They've charge be the blue book at a reasonable rate. I pay way about $90 for the $34,000 book value (though the plane is worth probably about 2-3 times that). Still cheaper than even my junker cars after the state rebate.

Arkansas
7.5% state sales tax (plus anything for county and city, could go as high as 9%) when purchased.
There is an annual county property tax on 4-wheelers, cars, boats, airplanes, etc.. The county values my airplane at $27k, roughly half its real value, and I get a tax bill every year for around $350.

Of all the taxes, I really despise ad valorems the most.

Ohio has an annual registration of $15/seat, or $60 for my Mooney.

I'll find out soon what Alabama charges. Hopefully it's not too much . . . .

Thank god I live in Wyoming....

Just saw on the news we are the MOST tax friendly state...:):)....

And, for anyone looking to have a presence here, either living here or just an address to use for tax purposes.. I know of 80 acres with a FAA approved runway on it for sale.... Taxes are an outrageous 120 bucks a year..:eek:..:D

I didn't see anyone from Texas and was wondering if some counties impose a property tax; I have never gotten a state tax bill.

In Iowa, every year I pay 0.25% of the list price of the plane.

The dumb part of this law is that you can't find the list price of a plane that's more than a few years old.

The good part of the law is that it stops when the plane is 30 years old.

It's "real property" in NV and the tax rate is the same as your house.
However they do depreciate the value of the aircraft each year to a base amount.
I do not know their depreciation schedule or the base rate.

Back