Property tax harassment by our greedy county

I moved in 2015. One county to another in SoCal. Of course, when I changed my aircraft registration address the new address the new county decided it needed some money as well.

I returned their form and stated: 1) aircraft is not physically present in your county on Jan 1. 2) aircraft is hangared and taxed in a different county.

That didn't seem to matter - even though the assessment laws support me. So I did 2 things - first off- I filed a legal assessment appeal - citing chapter and verse that the aircraft was not present in their county on the date in question. Sent a copy of the hangar bill for the month in question - and then claimed credit for the taxes paid to another county - this last part made the collections staff go away - but I STILL processed the assessment appeal - and finally won that. But the idiots on the assessment appeals board wanted to know why I was pursuing the appeal if I was getting a full credit for the taxes paid someplace else.

I told them that they lacked the legal authority under California law to assess me as the property was not present in their county on the day in question. . . .and more over their own rules and regulations, which they never looked at of course, stated a mailing address for satisfying registration requirements of the residence of the owner is not grounds for assessment. The head of the board asks me: Did you tell that to the assessor.

My response was: did you even open the file?

Yes = I got the snotty look back but won the appeal. I'm sure I'll have to go though the whole procedure next year as well.

Right off the bat, send them a letter telling them that your plane is personally owned, and is not used as a business asset ("BPP," or "Business Personal Property").
Yes, that's the advice I got from most lawyer friends.
The county can legally do anything they want and they can make any assumptions they want. I must prove that my property is not taxable. The burden of proof is NOT on them. (they don't actually care about citizen and their rights, they are just greedy Nazis)
So the advice was to STFU, provide any proof they ask for, comply and do it with a smile, unless I want to lose my house to attorney fees trying to fight a giant with nearly unlimited powers and attorney budget (from my own taxes). The government of the people for the people? Not anymore. :(

What proof did you use? Just the letter stating that the aircraft was personally owned?
Not sure who the question is for specifically but I can answer for my own scenario.
I filled out their attached affidavit where I circled "not used for business".
The fact that the airplane is personally owned is well known from the f***ing FAA records, if the dips*it monkeys even bothered to read those. They just sent me the bill without doing any homework whatsoever. It is logical, if you think about it. The less work they do and the more bills they send out, the higher the chance they'll get to collect some nice green reward. Kinda like a door-to-door vacuum sales. Quantity trumps quality. :)

Back