proper protocol - photo flighs in the pattern

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
A buddy of mine just bought a house and thought it would be neat to get some aerial shots of the place so I figured I'd give him a call the next time I'm flying and see if he wants to tag along. Problem is, it's almost under the pattern (just outside, actually) but very close to the left-downwind-to-base turn. I'm at a class-D and figured I'd phone the tower in advance and ask if they'd let me do a few turns over that spot.

I hear other aircraft doing inspections or photo-runs come through all the time and get right on with tower just before they come into the d-space. I just figured a courtesy phone call in advance would help.

Any other ideas/advice? Or am I already making too big a deal of it?

A buddy of mine just bought a house and thought it would be neat to get some aerial shots of the place so I figured I'd give him a call the next time I'm flying and see if he wants to tag along. Problem is, it's almost under the pattern (just outside, actually) but very close to the left-downwind-to-base turn. I'm at a class-D and figured I'd phone the tower in advance and ask if they'd let me do a few turns over that spot.

I hear other aircraft doing inspections or photo-runs come through all the time and get right on with tower just before they come into the d-space. I just figured a courtesy phone call in advance would help.

When I did mapping I would usually give the controlling agency a phone call before I asked to do something in their area, especially if I thought it would interfere with their normal traffic.

Last edited:
yea phone call ahead of time. you should be able to work something out. if the stars are aligned they'll be using a different runway so you'll be outside of the pattern.

I have a hospital project going up just north of Trenton Mercer Class D and I origionally called them to find out if there is a preferred time when traffic is generally light. This worked well for me anyway, as I was typically making the early morning flight over from Wings at 7am.

I'd call them up like normal, and they would let me make a few circles in the area. Don't wear out your welcome, get in, do two turns around a point, and get out. Let them know you are done as well.

Most importantly, you fly the plane. let him take the photos. Just setup a nice turn around a point to his side and focus on your job of flying the plane.

yea phone call ahead of time. you should be able to work something out. if the stars are aligned they'll be using a different runway so you'll be outside of the pattern.

Yeah - maybe. The tower guys are always moving traffic from one side to the other anyway. I just didn't want to be the guy who pulls up to the hold-short line and says, "Ready for takeoff, and oh, by the way...".

You can ask for anything but they can also say no. In many cases, I've found most towers more than cooperative to ad hoc requests. Occasionally though, I've received restrictions like altitude or distance. (Try flying around Boston harbor on a busy day.)
If you pick your time correctly, and make sure you're not interfering with their traffic flow, you almost always get cleared to whatever you want.

Yeah - maybe. The tower guys are always moving traffic from one side to the other anyway. I just didn't want to be the guy who pulls up to the hold-short line and says, "Ready for takeoff, and oh, by the way...".

yep, phone call before hand with approx takeoff time and tail number. and a little reminder when you call up for taxi who you are. should work out fine.

Call ahead or not, if traffic permits you to do a few turns over that spot the tower will allow you do a few turns over that spot. If traffic doesn't permit it they wont.

Call ahead or not, if traffic permits you to do a few turns over that spot the tower will allow you do a few turns over that spot. If traffic doesn't permit it they wont.

Bath Iron Works was to christen a new USN ship USS Meyer. I left Wiscasset, solo, with 4kt winds. At 1600 msl it was a bit bumpier, and when I was over the Kennebec River at 2000 msl, a bit more-so. I really wanted to get down to 1100 or 1200 msl. Legal, yes; but I hadn't checked-in with NAS Brunswick tower and I was right on the fringe of the 5 mile airspace. The ship, below, was loaded with "Washington"(senators/congressmen/admirals, Defense Dept., etc.) and "Augusta, Maine"(governor/state legislators, etc.), so I figured I'd best stay right where I was.

I made several long oval flights north and south of the bridge to get the feel of the air before taking pictures; after that, several more to get positions and photos. No F-16 a/c appeared. :eek:)

It was about six months later that I asked a BIW photographer if he had any aerials of the Meyer christening. "No, I was doing video on the ground for that occasion." When I told him that I had some aerials and would like to show them to whomever there was a pause in the telephone conversation.
Then: "You got aerials of that event?" <pause> "Red and white airplane?"
<confirmation and pause> "We saw you up there."
These days there's no tower(in operation) at the former NAS Brunswick.

HR

Attachments

• BIW_4.jpg
    BIW_4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • A-BIW(2) TEST.jpg
    A-BIW(2) TEST.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Bath Waterfront_3 Display.jpg
    Bath Waterfront_3 Display.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Nice pics, I guess it's time I head home again.
A trip to Boston in May, with a quick trip to the Veterans Cemetary in AUG before Memorial Day.

I figured I'd call tower before the pre-flight. If tower says no, then I'll just go somewhere else. I didn't plan on taking the photos myself, but since that initial conversation the other guy seems a little hesitant to fly in "those small airplanes". Don't know if he'll get those pictures after all. Every time I've taken shots out the window I've just aimed the camera and pushed the button, not looking at the viewfinder because I've been paying attention to flying. Don't know how well that technique will work for a single house.

I've had the same situation come up where I needed to photograph a project that was within Class D and very near the pattern. The tower didn't have a problem with me deviating from the pattern to maneuver over the project, but they did have a problem with decending below TPA to get a closer shot.

If your friend does decide to go be sure to brief him on not letting the camera touch the window. When he's ready to take shots remind him about every 15 seconds. I've never had a problem getting a window scratched by a passenger.

. . . and in addition to harpo's advice, if the camera can accommodate a polarizing filter I'd advise its use to take care of reflection from the wind screen. I don't know what you fly but if it's a cockpit similar the RV series(great visibility) which is not a flat screen the reflection factor can be more problem than with the flat wind screens.

HR

Seriously, find a photographer. Any photographer. Don't mess around with shooting the shots yourself at low altitude while maneuvering unless you have a death wish. Most good photo hounds love an excuse to go play with their gear aloft. And your job as PIC is to fly the aircraft. If you're near enough to Class D to need to coordinate the flight with them, your other job is eyeballs outside scanning for traffic. There's plenty of people who'll happily shoot the photos from the other seat. Grab one.

Jesse, did you reply and then pull it? I got it in e-mail but it's not in the thread now.

Just curious. You don't have to repost it, of course.

Also, check your PMs. I sent you something back in January that still says it's "unread". LOL! ;)

Jesse, did you reply and then pull it? I got it in e-mail but it's not in the thread now.

Just curious. You don't have to repost it, of course.

Also, check your PMs. I sent you something back in January that still says it's "unread". LOL! ;)
I have no idea what I wrote anymore - but I think I wrote something and pulled it mostly because I didn't want to argue with anyone :)

Back