Proper phraseology to confirm you have weather?

Whatever works for you. Since I'm monitoring the destination weather en route, I've yet to be surprised by the ATIS.

Yeah, I find ATIS is both known far away by ATC and FSS, and it's often quite a bit behind reality (sometimes by more than the hour you might think). Particularly if it's automated or the sensors are positioned oddly (like on the roof of the tower).

AWOS or ASOS on the other hand, has indeed surprised me. It's updated every minute but FSS/ATC only sees it once an hour.

The biggest surprise was approaching KHAF -- ASOS (and FSS) said 5 miles visibility; it was a LOT more than that (at least 50). And the winds were not VRB05, but rather a direct crosswind of about 10 knots. Even worse, the wind at pattern altitude was the other way (sea breeze / land breeze).

Always fun to see everyone's perceptive and some great info on both the "what" to say as well as the "why"...so here is my take away of the procedure I am planning on using moving forward:

When I am the one initiating the contact...say with a tower inbound or with ground for departure...

"Fullerton Ground...Skylane XYZ, at blah blah blah WITH information Echo...

And when queried by ATC for confirmation of ATIS or weather:

"Nor Cal...Skylane XYZ...Fullerton Information Echo RECEIVED..."

Last edited:
And when queried by ATC for confirmation of ATIS or weather:

"Nor Cal...Skylane XYZ...Fullerton Information Echo RECEIVED..."

If ATC is asking for a yes/no answer, "Affirmative" also works :yes:

I can see where a noob might get confused.

"Oakland tower, Skylane XYZ is ten to the North, level three thousand and has information Charlie received."

"Uh...Skylane XYZ.... current ATIS is November..."

"Hold on...." (dammit where did I put my copy of the AIM? Coulda sworn it said...)

Actually, it would be: "Oakland tower, Skylane XYZ is ten to the North, level three thousand, information November received."

Pretty clear. (even though I know you knew better).

Yeah a lot of people say that, and controllers understand it, but at least once I've heard and exchange like this:

"Hillview Tower, Cessna 123 inbound with the numbers."

"Cessna 123, since you're with the numbers, let's make you number four behind the yellow cub on right downwind."
FWIW, the phrase 'with the numbers' implies that you have only the wind, altimeter and runway info that is typically broadcast by tower or approach on the freq. it does not mean you have received the full ATIS.

I view that they are confirming that I have the most recent information, which may include a change in weather conditions necessitating a different approach than I expected, a runway closure, or other pertinent information needed in the final stages of approach planning (altimeter setting, glideslope or lighting system inop, etc.). I don't agree with telling ATC I have knowledge that I don't have. To me, this is ATC confirming I have completed a critical part of the approach checklist, not just a suggestion.

I did that once as a student at KTEB, talking to clearance delivery:D

ATC: "Cessna 65776 confirm you have ATIS Charlie"

Me: I have information charlie

ATC: "INFORMATION DELTA'S CURRENT"

Me: uh, I'll get information delta:redface:
:rofl:

Not exactly the same thing but I think he was testing me and somehow knew I hadn't actually listened to the current ATIS:dunno:

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of people say that, and controllers understand it, but at least once I've heard and exchange like this:

"Hillview Tower, Cessna 123 inbound with the numbers."

"Cessna 123, since you're with the numbers, let's make you number four behind the yellow cub on right downwind."

I've never used "with the numbers", but that was funny:rofl::lol:

Actually, it would be: "Oakland tower, Skylane XYZ is ten to the North, level three thousand, information November received."

Pretty clear. (even though I know you knew better).

You really didn't get my humor.

FWIW, the phrase 'with the numbers' implies that you have only the wind, altimeter and runway info that is typically broadcast by tower or approach on the freq. it does not mean you have received the full ATIS.

Agreed.

I tend to say, "Atlanta approach Skylane 5UD, 5000, with Yankee for County" With several airports close to Fulton County I have had controllers try to either send me to another airport or ask about the ATIS that is not for the landing airport. :D

Let's just review AIM 4-1-13(h).

Bob Gardner

Checking in with approach "Birmingham approach, 201at inbound for full stop with information Echo." If I forget and they ask, "We have information Echo."

I try to remember the four 'w's when I key up.

Who you are
Who you're calling
Where you are
What you want

"Podunk tower, Skywagon XYZ ten miles southeast level three thousand, inbound with information XYZ, full stop."

Back