Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
tinerj
20170606_182413.jpg

Edit: Story at about post 27.

Last edited:
That will buff out.

I'm having the same issue with my prop. Even though I'm operating off of a "paved" strip it hasn't been swept in years & is covered with sand & little rocks.

After a year the leading of of my prop looks like heck.

Gravel: 1; Prop: 0

My Catto looked just like that after flying through heavy rain. Much easier fix with composites.

That's more or less what the Aztec's right prop looked like after my first trip to the gravel strips of Canada.

You'd be surprised how much is allowed to buff out on those metal props.

I won't take my MT props on gravel.

I have a long prop and fly on gravel 100% of the time. The prop in the picture doesn't look like gravel damage to me.

Rocks sticking to your tires and being thrown forward are the primary source of gravel dings on props. And that's why Bushwheel's don't have tread.

Last edited:
We hit a couple of gravel strips in Australia. There are some tricks to minimizing damage. Mostly, not doing runups on the loose surface or putting a lot of power in when you're not rolling.

My Catto looked just like that after flying through heavy rain. Much easier fix with composites.
For whatever it's worth, Craig told me to reduce power in rain and no damage would occur. I have found this to be true, especially since I have an older prop without the leading edge protection. Hope that helps.

For whatever it's worth, Craig told me to reduce power in rain and no damage would occur. I have found this to be true, especially since I have an older prop without the leading edge protection. Hope that helps.

I found that out after the fact. Apparently no more than 2200 RPM. I was running that sucker at 2500 for probably an hour of mod-hvy rain. :(

Unapproved technique for Repair of Blade Damage:

http://www.bearperkins.com/accessories.htm

Emergency Prop Repair Kit
Comes with Glue, and Baking Soda, and File for a quick field repair of a dinged prop. This will not work miracles but will fill up a ding, or deeper scratch.

Quantity Prop Repair Kit $12.00
prop_repair_kit.jpg

Unapproved technique for Repair of Blade Damage:

http://www.bearperkins.com/accessories.htm

Emergency Prop Repair Kit
Comes with Glue, and Baking Soda, and File for a quick field repair of a dinged prop. This will not work miracles but will fill up a ding, or deeper scratch.

Quantity Prop Repair Kit $12.00

Unapproved because it's dangerous. Nicks represent stress risers that can cause cracking of the blade, which can cause the loss of some of it, which causes an imbalance that can tear the engine clean off the airplane. What happens to CG when a few hundred pounds falls off the nose? Does the airplane glide?

Nope.

Unapproved because it's dangerous. Nicks represent stress risers that can cause cracking of the blade, which can cause the loss of some of it, which causes an imbalance that can tear the engine clean off the airplane. What happens to CG when a few hundred pounds falls off the nose? Does the airplane glide?

Nope.

Um, I guess I should have added the appropriate emoticon to that one...:eek:

That's more or less what the Aztec's right prop looked like after my first trip to the gravel strips of Canada.

Thankfully my prop didn't look like that after flying off gravel up there but I had to dress out a lot of dings from the blades on a friend's twin who was also on the trip.

You learn to operate differently when you're paying the bills and operating off surfaces other than nice, wide, clean concrete runways...

Honest, guys, it wasn't me. I fly a plane with a wooden prop.

Here's what happened. The pilot landed on a grass strip, and for whatever reason, decided to cross a gravel ROAD with freshly aplied LOOSE gravel. He started across at a very slow idle (as he should). The nose wheel (and prop) got on the road, but the main wheels hung at the slight rise onto the road. To get it moving, he gave a burst of power (as he shouldn't). The nose dipped . . .

Last edited:
Honest, guys, it wasn't me. I fly a plane with a wooden prop.

Here's what happened. The pilot landed on a grass strip, and for whatever reason, decided to cross a gravel ROAD with freshly aplied LOOSE gravel. He started across at a very slow idle (as he should). The nose wheel (and prop) got on the road, but the main wheels hung at the slight rise onto the road. To get it moving, gave a burst of power (as he shouldn't). The nose dipped . . .

Ouch!

Huh. 25 years of gravel ops and I've never seen anything even close to that kind of damage. There's got to be more to the story. And it sure looks like that ragged edge has corrosion, doesn't it?

So he didn't suck up some gravel, he dove right into it.

Back