Prop

landon18

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Landon Scarbrough
We have a prop spinner from aircraft spruce we bought for a 172 and it has little lines it in and when I polished for the first time it is really hard to get the black residue from the polish off . So is it the type of spinner put on the aircraft not one that is able to be polished?
Tia

Last edited:
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Sorry all voice text got me again

We have a prop from aircraft spruce we bought for a 172 and it has little horizontal lines it in and when it is polished for the first time it is really hard to get the black off it almost impossible so does that mean this is not a polished spinner?
Are you asking about the spinner or the propeller?

I took a painted spinner and stripped the paint off. Then started wet sanding with 600, then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and finally 2000 grit. Then used a buffer and metal polish and made my own polished spinner. The painted spinner had heavy paint filling the lines you talked about. Mine is was not perfect after wet sanding like I suspect a factory polished spinner would be?
006_24.jpg

I wet sanded the thing a couple grits per night, this was about halfway wet sanded. I never did get all the lines out, but close enough for a decent polish.
023_6.jpg

Here it is sanded to 2000 grit. I used my hand a little to polish the tip. At 2000 grit it is very easy to polish.
028_7.jpg

Finished, I used a buffer and metal polish. I had to paint the propeller after this
2c923e7b-577b-4ad9-a499-f67f3d71e035.jpg

004_33.jpg

Last edited:
Back