Prop strike help

Jeff07W

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff07W
I have a bellanca 260 with an io 470.... I guess my plan is it to send the crank out and get it magnafluxed.... If it's good I'll be looking to Iran as much as possible.... I also need a hatrzell prop/hub
Where should I send my 470?
Should I get a used prop/hub and take it to a prop shop or just take m core to a prop shop and hope for the best?
Prop shop reccommendations?
Anyone have a low time 470?
Advice?

Thanks

What was the extent of the damage? Were both blades damaged beyond repair?
I'd recommend American Propeller in Redding, CA.

So my crank "dialed within 1/1000" we tore the motor down to comply with the tcm service bulletin regarding prop strikes.... I havntcsent anything out to be magnaflux yet.... Found mild corrosion on cam, and a couple connecting rods, in a couple cylinders, and a few other mild places.... My last overhaul was 250 hrs ago but in 1983 (hence the corrosion from sitting). Do I put it back together as cheaply as possible or do I overhaul it completely (15-20k)as opposed to 10-15k) or do I find s mid time io 470 for a decent deal and sidestep this altogether....
I'm half tempted to upgrade to a io520 using an stc that exists before I spend 20k on the 470...'
Any thoughts?

Lots of decisions to make
Any used engine is a question mark
It could have as many problems as your current engine
If you repair your engine then you know what you have
I would piece the engine back together with serviceable parts and call it good.
I still miss my Super Viking.

Do you gain any value going to a 520, or even TSIO 520? Do you need the extra horsepower if you aren't thinking about resale?

Personally I prefer a 470 to a 520, cheaper and more reliable to operate IME, but if you find value in a bigger or turbo engine, now would be the time to do it.

Figure any mid time IO/TSIO-520 probably needs cylinders, but you can buy them right enough that's ok. I would shop the 550 upgrade shops for trade ins.

Unless you endured significant engine damage though, the lowest cost, best way out of this IMO is to just fix the engine you have.

So my crank "dialed within 1/1000" we tore the motor down to comply with the tcm service bulletin regarding prop strikes.... I havntcsent anything out to be magnaflux yet.... Found mild corrosion on cam, and a couple connecting rods, in a couple cylinders, and a few other mild places.... My last overhaul was 250 hrs ago but in 1983 (hence the corrosion from sitting). Do I put it back together as cheaply as possible or do I overhaul it completely (15-20k)as opposed to 10-15k) or do I find s mid time io 470 for a decent deal and sidestep this altogether....
I'm half tempted to upgrade to a io520 using an stc that exists before I spend 20k on the 470...'
Any thoughts?

A 32 year old motor with low time and confirmed corrosion plus a prop strike history. Hmm. If you were going to buy an airplane that had that engine what would you think? Probably value the engine as a core, right? On the other hand, a recently overhauled engine would have good value. If the difference between your "IRAN" and a real overhaul is $10k that will probably be the best $10K you can spend when you look what it does for your asset value. Or the $10K IRAN would be the worst money you ever spent. As far as which I'd prefer to seat my own family behind? No question I'd prefer a high quality overhaul. That's my opinion. Nothing more.

I think I'm going to send the case to disco, cam crank etc to aircraft specialty services.... I have some mild corrosion on the cam so it may have to be rebuilt.... I think I'm going to square away the bum end with good parts and then decide on what to do with top--- anyone want to weigh in on millennium cylinders nickel vs chrome / nu-chrome cermachrome chrome bicycle spoke etc??

As for the 520 it wouldn't add much overall value to the airplane, I haven't missed the hp yet (I have 260) and this was a big jump from my piper 140 hp. I would do it if I found a good deal on a motor but prob not willing to pay retail / market value for a motor

Nickel Titans have a 60 month corrosion warranty that begins at engine start. Not a bad feature for some operators. I liked mine that I had on my Cub. They broke in easily and quickly and are still going strong for the guy that owns the plane now. I have steel Millenniums on my Cessna. Also easy break in and still going strong. Talk to the guys you trust. Some will say factory, some Superior, and some ECI. Another option is overhauled from a performance shop like Ly-Con. All of them work, all can fail. Pick your poison.

FWIW, I tried to order a couple of ECI cylinders this week and was told that they are going through (?:dunno: not sure what the correct term is :dunno:?) but that gave me significant doubt in place to whether or not there would actually be any warranty in effect soon on any ECI products...

What cylinders do you currently have, is there any pitting or corrosion in them? The shop I've used a few times (http://www.dongeorgeaircraft.com) will clean/inspect them for about $25, or they have a "cylinder stud assy special" for $125/ea. They are quite particular, so if there is anything wrong, you'll find out in a hurry, and can give instructions from there. (If they need to bore oversize it's another $55/ea, but that's if your barrels are in really bad shape).

Another option (if they look nice), you (and your mechanic) can hone/re-ring them for about $50/ea if that's all that is really needed :goofy:.

Of course, I'm not standing there looking at your engine, but there are plenty of options to consider...

If you do the complete bottom end, and then only need to hone/re-ring the top end, that's technically still a full overhaul (if you inspect everything--that is).

YMMV,

-Dana

I did Harrison Nu-Chrome when I had my 0-235 cylinders done and have been very impressed.
Very easy break in.
They have about 250 hours on them now and I burn a qt of oil every 25 hours. I change oil at 50 hrs and the oil on the dipstick is still yellow at the time of the oil change.

Update::
I sent my case to Divco they found a few things to weld up & recertified it
Cam, crank & gears went to aircraft specialty..... Ground crank 5 under, new cam, gears were mag'd & certified.... New counterweights & hardware, all new lifters, 4 new rockers, new piston pins, new oil pump gears... And a few other misc items
Field honed cylinders, new rings (5 over), valves looked good (only 50 hrs on them).
New prop, spinner, governor,

Wish list: gami injectors, plane power alternator for generator swap,
It would go nicely with my recently installed jpi edm 900

My guy still insists it is an IRAN.... I think he doesn't want the liability on a side job, plus I'm sure there were more things that could have been replaced... In hind sight I should have communicated that I wanted an overhaul.... I doubt it would have cost me $10k more but close.... On the other hand this engine is in really good shape less than 200 smoh but sat and got corroded.... The Iran got rid of the corrosion so I'm thinking it will last me along time. I think I'll be in this for $15k

...My guy still insists it is an IRAN.... I think he doesn't want the liability on a side job, plus I'm sure there were more things that could have been replaced... In hind sight I should have communicated that I wanted an overhaul.... I doubt it would have cost me $10k more but close.... On the other hand this engine is in really good shape less than 200 smoh but sat and got corroded.... The Iran got rid of the corrosion so I'm thinking it will last me along time. I think I'll be in this for $15k

$15k sounds a lot better than $25k, and I seriously doubt the plane will fly any differently.
Besides, you could use the money saved towards the wish list. Don't let the plane sit. break it in and maintain it well and I bet it'll get to TBO just like if it was overhauled. Great to hear you'll be back in the air soon!

1. Anybody have a hartzell c1904-2 spinner they want to part with?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 18
Back