Prop Protection

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
I put a brand new prop on my C172. The mechanic asked if I want to put the leading edge protection tape on. Any reason not to do this? Now is the time since it is nice and shiny.

I put a brand new prop on my C172. The mechanic asked if I want to put the leading edge protection tape on. Any reason not to do this? Now is the time since it is nice and shiny.

We just decided against doing it. The reason is, that I read quite a few reviews according to which it needs to be replaced about once per years and that it can be difficult to get off, without damaging the paint.
Also, the legal stuff, which comes with a STC, is pretty expensive.

Plus having to balance the prop after you re apply.

You did balance the prop right?

Definitely helps save the prop. I have to replace about evry three years but well worth it to me. A heat gun and wd 40 seems to work well to remove it.

Always helpful when there is a 50/50 love it hate it ratio. According to the EAA you no longer need an STC or legal paperwork for it. The airport I am at now has horrible taxiway conditions, but will be moving to a really nice strip within a week or so.

Keeping the elevator back helps, doing rolling run ups help too.

Protect it from what?

I have used it on my composite,and also not applied it after a prop overhaul. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Protects against minor dings,but does nothing to protect a composite in the rain when flying IFR.

The stuff I've seen does nothing for even the smallest gravel or sand dings and abraded from water erosion on float planes. Water and sand make the tape surface feel like course sandpaper and rock dings still crater the leading edge but also leave a flap of tape and rough tape edges around the ding. The tape is more trouble than it's worth unless you never get damage and in that case you don't need tape.

Those are some good points. They talk about no longer needing legal paperwork as the tape is about the thickness of paint. Well if it is so thin, I was curious how it would do much to protect from the bigger dings that make a difference.

I think the most important thing will be to move to an airport that doesn't have broken up taxiways.

Not only would I put the leading edge tape on, I would enquire if I could vinyl wrap the whole prop. That opens up opportunities not only to protect the prop and increase ice resistance, it give great graphics opportunities.:D Heck, in the right situation you could even figure a way to sell the advertising space.:lol:

You did balance the prop right?

$125 to dynamic balance and you should do it once a year anyway. First off you track changes in vibration which gives early indication of issues, second you keep the vibrations minimized. Biggest airframe and engine maintenance value there is, I have it done with every annual.

Or maybe you could get Marilyn to protect your prop!

4a3098be4a26ae825fa70dfa160fb6b2.jpg

Why? :dunno:

You take 2 (or 3) equal pieces of tape and apply one to each blade. There should be no appreciable change in the dynamic or static balance.

I've applied leading edge tape to helicopter blades without change to track or balance. A propeller blade is much shorter and not near as sensitive.

And BTW, I owned an Aces 2020 ProBalancer and did airplane prop balancing on the side. If a propeller is statically balanced correctly before installation, the changes in dynamic come from hardware such as the spinner and backplate. This is why during the dynamic balance weights are either placed on the spinner bulkhead or starter flywheel (Lycoming) and the backplate and spinner are "indexed" to keep the parts in their same location.

Blade tape is going to have such a minute change that it will be virtually unnoticed.

Sometimes mechanics, skydivers, or passengers walk into the prop and mess it up. This keeps damage to a minimum.

Tim

And............ The blood and guts wipe off easier too....:rolleyes::redface:

that might be funny had a guy I knew not just been killed last week when he stumbled and lost his footing and fell into a moving prop.

that might be funny had a guy I knew not just been killed last week when he stumbled and lost his footing and fell into a moving prop.

Sorry for your loss.....

Must be a different guy, The story I read says he walked right into it...

Back