Prop overhaul vs replacement

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Pondering the props on the Baron lately and trying to think ahead.

I've currently got Hartzell 3-blade PHC-C3YF-2s on. The props have around 700 hrs on them, but were last overhaul 13 years ago. Props were done with the engines. Haven't had any issues with them so far. And aside from occasionally replacing a de-ice heater boot, the only maintenance they have had is 'dress and paint'.

I imagine at some point in the not too distant future, I will want to overhaul them based on calendar time alone, but I have also heard (here I believe) that it is often better to replace than overhaul. I could bite the bullet and upgrade to the Hartzell Scimitar blades, but at around $22k, not sure if it is worth it. Any idea what the O/H cost on PHC-C3YF-2s is?

Thoughts?

Well, just being an A&P/IA, my response would be to talk with a reputable prop shop. Given your location, the main concern would be the possibility of internal corrosion. Salt air and aluminum hubs don't usually mix well.

Might want to consider a good set of used props. On my Travelair when the props could not be overhauled due to an ad. Managed to get a set of props in limits for half cost of new.

Well, just being an A&P/IA, my response would be to talk with a reputable prop shop. Given your location, the main concern would be the possibility of internal corrosion. Salt air and aluminum hubs don't usually mix well.

Agreed. Find a good reputable shop and discuss the options. Personally I just overhaul.

I'm trying to remember the shops name, but we used a place in Greensboro NC, Triad something maybe. They were a good shop. I haven't used them in awhile though. They sent a guy to pickup and deliver props when I was working out of KHWY.

As for the difference between new and OVH, how far down are the blades filed when dressed? (Most mechanics take way too much off when dressing blades. I know did for awhile. Some of that though is because of the owners.) The shop should be able to give you some measurements to take quickly that will give you an idea if they are too far gone.

If the blades are junk, I don't think there's much price difference between new and OVH. I may be wrong on this, but if you have two good blades and one junk, when they put a new one in for the OVH, I think they file the new one down to match. Basically wearing out the new blade to match the old. In Alaska, it makes no sense to try and OVH. Blades never passed. Hub went in for a core, blades cut off with a circular saw. I guess the hub would be OVH with new blades. I see no reason not to OVH unless you want the different props, and then thats a good time to switch.

What do you think the cost to overhaul is?

We just had our de-iced 3-blade prop in for overhaul. The quote was 6k or so plus shipping for the basic overhaul. Turned out the cylinder was pitted and all three blades were below limits, the cost to overhaul would have been around 18k :eek: . We went for a replacement instead.
It sounds like your props are about 5000hrs and 2 overhauls younger than ours, so the risk of getting blades condemmed is probably low. I would talk to the prop-shop and send it in. The only problem is that there is a lead-time on new props from both manufacturers. Ours was supposed to be shipped today, but it wasn't......

Pondering the props on the Baron lately and trying to think ahead.

I've currently got Hartzell 3-blade PHC-C3YF-2s on. The props have around 700 hrs on them, but were last overhaul 13 years ago. Props were done with the engines. Haven't had any issues with them so far. And aside from occasionally replacing a de-ice heater boot, the only maintenance they have had is 'dress and paint'.

I imagine at some point in the not too distant future, I will want to overhaul them based on calendar time alone, but I have also heard (here I believe) that it is often better to replace than overhaul. I could bite the bullet and upgrade to the Hartzell Scimitar blades, but at around $22k, not sure if it is worth it. Any idea what the O/H cost on PHC-C3YF-2s is?

Thoughts?

On 3 blade, depends on what they find, but figure between $8k if they are in great shape, and $18k if they are shot.

I have a B-55 as well, and simply by time alone decided to have the props looked at, with concerns as mentioned about possible corrosion inside the hubs. Prop shops are becoming even more rare, so decided to send the props to Hartzell. Upon inspection they said it had undergone a repair in the past, but it was OK. Then, turns out the logs were weak, and Hartzell said the repair (even though the props had been obviously working great) was not approved. They said the hubs were not servicable. The cost for two new hubs with my own blades was around 18K. Two new props with new spinners was around 22K.

So, now I have two new props and hubs on my Baron. Sold the old blades for around 8K. Thinking of making the old spinners into light fixtures, unless someone wants to buy them.

I think it only makes sense to replace them if you're interested in upgrading to something "better". Otherwise, an overhaul ought to be fine.

The 310's props are yeared out as well, but hours aren't bad. They're not showing signs of problems and work great, so planning on leaving them alone for a while.

Never ask for an "overhaul". Have them dissasembled, inspected, and resealed. Dont cut the blades unless it is required. Find a prop shop you can trust and discuss what does & doesnt need to be done.

Never ask for an "overhaul". Have them dissasembled, inspected, and resealed. Dont cut the blades unless it is required. Find a prop shop you can trust and discuss what does & doesnt need to be done.

This makes a lot of sense.

That's exactly what my shop recommended on the 421! I don't remember the cost, but I think it was $2-3K each. I had to overhaul the Conquest props last fall, $8K each.:eek:

I've had my done by (go figure) Sensenich at LNS. Hartzell would be the last place I'd send my prop.

Some shops won't do that because of the liability exposure from fully disassembling the propeller but not overhauling. Plus the overhaul clock does not reset if it isn't overhauled and properly documented.

Some shops won't do that because of the liability exposure from fully disassembling the propeller but not overhauling. Plus the overhaul clock does not reset if it isn't overhauled and properly documented.
I have yet to run into such a shop. "Reseals" are bread and butter. And who cares about the overhaul clock for part91 ?

Back