Prop need dye penetration test

stevensun

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stevensun
Have a piper comanche 180 with ad 95-11-08 on my prop. Have around 80 hours left on the ad. And recommendations about prop shop can do the AD (dye penetration)? I heard many of the shops don't do this kind of AD anymore. Prop hc-92zk-8d

Does AD require a propshop? I believe that an IA could do a dye test with a loop. If you live around Lancaster, PA, then there is a propshop on the field there. Triad Aviation in NC could probably do props as well.

Does AD require a propshop? I believe that an IA could do a dye test with a loop. If you live around Lancaster, PA, then there is a propshop on the field there. Triad Aviation in NC could probably do props as well.

the ad requires disassembly of the prop to do the blade dye inspection, do it needs to go to a prop shop.

From my research it cost too much to be worth it. And you still have the hub that could crack.....

From my research it cost too much to be worth it. And you still have the hub that could crack.....
Yeah.. kind of hard to find a shop that still want to do it. I am in NorCal area.

I searched around and some people say they prefer the old prop (build better somehow??) if the prop is properly maintained (not sure how, grease the prop?) the crack doesn’t really happen

I’ve not found anyone that prefers the old hub. Blades yes, which is why I kept my blades and replaced the hub.

Don't know. I replaced the AD prop when Hartzell was offering half-off. At the time most prop shops in the area were set up to do the AD. I used Sensennich up in Lancaster PA (they were a lot better to deal with than Hartzell's own shop which I'd ***NEVER*** send a prop to).

Margy, the mechanic, and I were a three-person team to swap the props.

Don't know. I replaced the AD prop when Hartzell was offering half-off. At the time most prop shops in the area were set up to do the AD. I used Sensennich up in Lancaster PA (they were a lot better to deal with than Hartzell's own shop which I'd ***NEVER*** send a prop to).

Margy, the mechanic, and I were a three-person team to swap the props.
Wait, is the OP talking about the Eddy current test? If so, I can't imagine a prop shop not performing it. There are 3 near me that all do it. I thought he was talking about the dye injection that removes the AD, but re-reading, maybe you are right. Page from HC-SL-61-273.pdf

Dye penetrant inspection of the blade shank is required every 500 hours. THere's nothing you can do to "remove" the AD other than getting a different prop.

side question just born out of curiosity.... does it have to be and A&P to do NDT inspections like this on aircraft part...or could a certified NDT tech do it and the A&P sign off on the report?

Many years ago I used to have a job where we subcontracted out our industrial NDT inspection to various contractors.... they inspected anything and everything from tanks, pressure vessles, crane lifting hooks, or any other sort of part. I think that some of those guys could do a much more reliably better job than some random A&P who just does it as a sideline....

I’ve not found anyone that prefers the old hub. Blades yes, which is why I kept my blades and replaced the hub.
So you can replace the old hub and keep the blade? (AD 95-11-08 saying about blade shank crack)

So you can replace the old hub and keep the blade? (AD 95-11-08 saying about blade shank crack)
I did. My blades were in good condition, so I bought the B hub and re-used old blades.

I did. My blades were in good condition, so I bought the B hub and re-used old blades.
That sounds like a different prop (C2YK) and different AD(2008-13-18)

side question just born out of curiosity.... does it have to be and A&P to do NDT inspections like this on aircraft part...or could a certified NDT tech do it and the A&P sign off on the report?
It would have to be under the auspices of a repair station, See AC 25-29. While disclaimed as not regulatory, it is the sense of the FAA's attitude.

Note why the DP may be non-destructive, the whole process dedicated *IS* destructive. You have to throw away the screws that are part of the subject of the test.

Back