Prop hub leak

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
So what is the "normal" cost ranges for repair of a slight grease/oil leak on one blade of a constant speed prop hub? It also seems to "pulse", as in change rpm of about 50-75 rpm during higher power operations. It seems to calm down after running a little while.

Welcome to the world of constantly repairing old airplanes. And I thought this was better than renting how?:redface:

Be very careful, Bryon. You may have a self digesting prop governor. How old are yours? Look at the filters and screens before you run it again. I mean it. 9484B, the club C172RG digested a governor this summer and it did just this. The bird is on the deathwatch list as the directors decided to NOT o/h the engine. Nobody is bu ying it becuase they won't price it down to needing FWF O/H.

bruce is right

a simple hartzell reseal is maybe $600 (to be repeated in a couple of years, it seems) but you should not be seeing rpm variations due to that small leak

That is dependant upon model, it may be required to overhaul the prop.

Prop and hubs both O/H in 2004. Nothing mentioned in last annual or pre-buy inspection about it. I noticed the rpm fluctuations immediately, but attributed it to the plane not flying in the last 5 months. It does calm down after running for a while.

The grease is probably a blade seal. If so that has nothing to do with the surge. First, is it really surging -as in can you hear it and feel it? If not it's the tach. If it is surging it's probably the governor not the prop. Last time I thought I had a governor problem it turned out to be one ignition lead that would intermittantly not fire the plug. That was enough to cause a very slight power loss and the governor was overcompensating. Most Aztecs have Hartzell governors that are quite sensitive. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

The grease is probably a blade seal. If so that has nothing to do with the surge. First, is it really surging -as in can you hear it and feel it? If not it's the tach. If it is surging it's probably the governor not the prop. Last time I thought I had a governor problem it turned out to be one ignition lead that would intermittantly not fire the plug. That was enough to cause a very slight power loss and the governor was overcompensating. Most Aztecs have Hartzell governors that are quite sensitive. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines
Yes, it is really surging, to the point of being able to feel the extra drag of the flatter prop. It is enough too make the plane wiggle. It also registers on the tach.

Most Aztecs have Hartzell governors that are quite sensitive. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

Charlie,

Good to see you back! :yes: You probably missed it, but Bryon is now the proud owner of a Twin Comanche, just like you. Are the Twinkie's props similar to the Aztec?

Back