Prop Governor?

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
I have a Columbia 400.

Symptoms are, on occasion on takeoff the prop will overspeed by 300 or so RPM (2600 to 2900rpm). I can roll it back just fine.

No oil leakage anywhere.

My A&P has checked the cable and the stop screw, told me next was to take it to a prop shop

Any ideas ?

Take it to a prop shop :biggrin:

There’s a screen under the governor. First thing I’d di is pull the governor and clean the screen.

Pulling the governor tomorrow and sending off for a rebuild.

I have a constant prop on a lycoming 200hp engine with an electronic ignition system. edm reports 105-110%HP on WOT full power take off and 2700rpm.
It is said and I experienced so the EIS is providing extra HP, as reported by the EDM.
What I do is to crank down the prop to 2600/2650 at initial climb, bringing it back to 98-100% HP
and further along in a well established climb to throttle it back further to 25/2550, this merely to keep the engine running smooth (I don't need 1500ft/min climb)

maybe there are some options to limit the RPM on your prop, though I think you can manage things manually as well.
do you have an EIS that boosts power?

xander

IO-550?
If <10 secs you are fine (looks like you are Cat I or II)
(well, the initiating cause needs addressing)
Attached is the original SB for engine overspeed inspection requirements, now incorporated in M-0 (which is a large dl)
Look in M-0 (link below) on: 6-5.3. Engine Overspeed Inspections 6-160.

{url=https://csobeech.com/files/TCM_MaintenanceManual_2023.pdf]link to M-0 pdf[/url]

Attachments

• TCM-SB05-2.pdf
    154.9 KB · Views: 4
Back