Prop de ice mandatory?

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
So a goofy question, we are prepping a navajo chieftain (PA31-350) for use in a region where ice is not a possibility. As we know the boots are optional they are coming off as I type but the TCDS, manuals and equipment list arent offering me any help about the hot props.

We'd like to ditch them but it needs to be legal. Any one point me at something I may be missing?

So a goofy question, we are prepping a navajo chieftain (PA31-350) for use in a region where ice is not a possibility. As we know the boots are optional they are coming off as I type but the TCDS, manuals and equipment list arent offering me any help about the hot props.

We'd like to ditch them but it needs to be legal. Any one point me at something I may be missing?

When you say "ditch them" are you saying remove the deice boots on the blades or inop the system? Or perhaps change to an approved propeller?

Unless the system is broken, why spend the time removing it? It will only decrease the value of the plane. There have been a number of aircraft that I've considered, but the owners decided to remove the de-ice. I'd buy a plane with broken de-ice over a plane with removed de-ice.

With the part 135 operation if its there it has to work. Last ive hears they will not be on an MEL. As these aircraft will be spending several years with out needing ice equipment not having to maintain the system is a bonus.

As far as ditching them I mean removing the boots (concurrent with the prop overhauls coming next week) the brushes, the timer, the whole shooting match.

Back