Prop balancing

Jeff Oslick

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Oslick
I just had the prop balanced in our 182 - what a huge difference! - and I haven't even been able to fly it yet.

Attached is the before, during, and final test runs. After a "before" run, external test weights were screwed onto to a couple spinner screws, then another test run, remove spinner, insert final weights, and retest. This made an incredible difference in the smoothness of the engine/prop throughout the rpm band.

This ran less than $200 for an A&P who came to the plane - well worth the investment!

Jeff

I used to perform propeller balancing on C-130 and blackhawk helicopter main and tail blades. Make all the difference in the world. For the C-130 I would hook up all four props at once and perform a engine run shut it down and make the adjustments. It usually took one run to balance all four props. We would go from old shaky to smooth and the end result was no more broken engine mounts.

I would suggest if you install a new or overhauld propeller or have never had a prop balanced to have it performed. You will certainly notice a difference in engine parts not wearing out so fast.

Stache

Stache said:
I would suggest if you install a new or overhauld propeller or have never had a prop balanced to have it performed. You will certainly notice a difference in engine parts not wearing out so fast.
Stache

After we put a new prop on the mooney we were told to have it balanced after 15-20 hours and it did make a noticeable improvement. I think it is worth the $200.

Richard said:
Good news! My question is what prompted the rebalancing?

We were eating through lightbulbs at a horrendous rate. 10 flight hours each, literally. Taxi and landing are both on the lower engine cowling. Yes, that is flight hours, not bulb-use hours. If you've ever had to drop the lower cowl on a 182 (PITA), you'd know why this is an unacceptable rate of bulb wear, never mind the $22 for the pair of bulbs. A few folks from the Cessna Pilots Association recommended this as a very likely solution. The improvement in smoothness is worth it regardless of whether or not the bulbs still have short lives. If it does the trick for the bulbs, the balance job will have paid for itself inside of a year.

Jeff

Stache said:
I used to perform propeller balancing on C-130 and blackhawk helicopter main and tail blades. Make all the difference in the world. For the C-130 I would hook up all four props at once and perform a engine run shut it down and make the adjustments. It usually took one run to balance all four props. We would go from old shaky to smooth and the end result was no more broken engine mounts.

Stache

We here at Whidbey NAS balance the P-3 props statically, we hang them in a draft free room, by a cable and add or remove washers from the deice ring.

I can get the 1400 pound monster to within 1/2 ounce inch..

When I was balancing C-130 propeller we would check the static balance before installing them. Needless to say it was better than nothing. However installing a new or overhauled prop to an engine will change the vibration rate and each one is different. I used the Chatwick 8500 box to check the balance and no matter how good at the static balance we always made it better.

Stache

Stache said:
When I was balancing C-130 propeller we would check the static balance before installing them. Needless to say it was better than nothing. However installing a new or overhauled prop to an engine will change the vibration rate and each one is different. I used the Chatwick 8500 box to check the balance and no matter how good at the static balance we always made it better.

Stache

WE start with static balance in the shop, then it's balanced on the engine, and very seldom do we see a need to change anything. but the static balance requires nearly 24 hours in the balance room.

Navy started with VATs then Chadwick, now we are back to the new version of VATs The Chadwick and the new version VATs are too fragle and often give false readings when the transducers fail.

Back