Proof our flight school is moving up

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
After hearing numerous promises for new airplanes and not seeing any results, we finally got a 2005 Cessna 172R with a G1000. This will be the first aircraft in our fleet less than 9 years old and also with more equipment than a KLN 89B. Even then, we have about 4 R models with that much! Most of the other airplanes are like a typical flight school beginning from around the early 1980's and older with only a VOR or two. That perfect for new students and even IFR students wanting to learn the basics but we needed someway to transition students and instructors to the advancing world of glass in the cockpit. I definitely believed thats a portion of what separated us from other bigger flight schools.

Here's a few pictures of this notorious "new airplane" we've all heard about for a year or more. Sorry I couldn't turn on the panel, apparently everyone was so mystified at the curiously in tact cockpit including a new strange box that lights up with color and no round thingies that it pretty much drained the battery after its first afternoon on the ramp.

Hopefully it wont be absolutely reduced to rubble because of its new student environment before I get a small taste of it with a CFI. ....but the CFIs have to be trained in it first!

Its really exciting but you don't dare chance flying it just yet without your fingers getting bit by other students! I'll stick to flying the 152s and RG for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 38
tristan, i flew a 182 with glass panel when i was in arkansas. it flew like a 182. the cfi was all excited to play with the gee whiz panels so i let him, i enjoyed looking at the displays and all but certainly wasnt going to learn how to operate them in a 30 minute demo ride. keep on keeping on, when it comes time that you need to learn how to use the panels they will still be there.

Cool stuff...sad to see someone already smeared their fingerprints all over the PFD. That drives me nuts on our school planes, especially considering I'm always the one that cleans the displays.

The G1000 is a great resource but certainly distracting at times under VFR. Since over half the training fleet at my flight school consists of new G1000-equipped Cessnas I eventually got my G1000 checkout so I can fly more airplanes and have greater flexibility on the schedule, but I suppose you really have to know its limitations when VFR. It takes some getting used to, but most everything on it works like the GNS530.

A 2005 would be an S model. I spent 4.9 hours in one on Saturday. It's an easy system once you learn it. More than anything, it takes a couple hours on the ground with the demo software and a manual then a few flights locally. Finally, a good XC with some time to play along the way and get more familiar with all the features. Even then, you feel like your lacking and you will be.

I did the last half of my IR in the G1000 and loved it. It spoiled me when going back to an R182 for commercial.

Saturday was my last flight with that school so now it's just a matter of time before the new school brings in some new birds. Our fleet is aging and showing the signs. But, I don't pull the purse strings. :(

yea I wonder what you would use to clean the displays.

A very soft cotton cloth.

I've not heard this but I'd suspect the same stuff used to clean plastic eyeglass lenses would be suitable. But, it would need to be sprayed on lightly to not run into the edges.

I scoffed at glass panels before I spent time with one. I am so spoiled by the G1000 in my T182T I honestly cannot imagine ever flying without it again. So much information is available to you. It's a distraction, to be sure, if you let it become one. However, in actual IMC the scan is a breeze, flight planning and cross country flight is a piece of cake, and the wx/stormscope/TIS/terrain info is invaluable. I love it. Did I mention I love the G1000. :)

Even though the WAAS upgrade isn't coming any time soon, and'll cost $15-20k when it does:mad:

A very soft cotton cloth.

I've not heard this but I'd suspect the same stuff used to clean plastic eyeglass lenses would be suitable. But, it would need to be sprayed on lightly to not run into the edges.
Even better would be microfiber. I don't think I'd want to use any liquid except water unless it's specifically approved. Even then, just enough to lightly dampen the cloth.

OTOH, imagine getting into a glass cockpit DA-40 (clamshell canopy) in the rain! :hairraise: You have to do it really quickly!

I use the technique my dad taught me, he uses it to clean the displays in the Citation he flies. Use 2 very soft cocktail napkins, one wet, one dry. Wipe the whole display with the wet and very quickly wipe dry with the other napkin. A key is to make sure you really dry the display quickly or else it will streak and that you have a very soft cloth/napkin.

The Oakley sunglass microfiber cloth I have doesn't work well at all.

I just found Max Trescott's take on it from his G-1000 book:
http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/01595excerpt.pdf said:
Clean the display only with a solution and soft microfiber cloth that's safe for anti-reflective coatings, such as those sold for cleaning eyeglasses. Never wipe or clean with a cloth alone -- always use the solution in conjunction with a cloth.

Wowzers!! TV screens? Didn't see a DVD player? How do you watch "The High and the Mighty"?:goofy:
Seriously, liiks good, Tristan!

Hope you get to fly it before all the buttons are worn smooth too.

Jim

Great pictures, Tristan. Don't you think the G1000 172S should wear its wheel pants to make it look more sophisticated on the flight line?:cheerswine:

Cool stuff...sad to see someone already smeared their fingerprints all over the PFD. That drives me nuts on our school planes, especially considering I'm always the one that cleans the displays.

You know, I've always wondered about that when looking at Controller.com or trade-a-plane. I figure if a seller will pay to put pictures in a publication, they would take the time to clean up the displays a little. What are they thinking? And what else are they missing in their maintenance?

Very nice. I have yet to fly anything glass. I imagine it would be fun to just spend a few hours on the ground running the battery down getting a feel for all the options.

Very nice. I have yet to fly anything glass. I imagine it would be fun to just spend a few hours on the ground running the battery down getting a feel for all the options.

it is very fun.. every now and then I'll still fly the a/c's with the steam gauges (only 2 are left) just to keep current in those, but I'm spoiled by the G1000 now.

The biggest reason I like the G1000 for non-XC flights where I don't get FF is for the TIS. 2 sets of eyes (even if one is electronic) are better than 1, even knowing the electronic set isn't always 100% going to warn me about all traffic.

Me and my instructor spent over an hour on the ground going through all of the menus and options before we even fired up the engine. I still press the wrong button every now and then, and I've probably got around 30hrs with the G1000. :redface:

I'm *almost* certain the screen is the same material as some laptops - the deal is a wet cloth or tissue followed by a dry cloth or tissue. Any chemical more caustic than dish soap should be avoided.

I haven't had good results with the microfiber cloths, either. No idea why, maybe sunglasses have some kind of special coating?

Anyway, those panels are neat and really put a lot of information right at your fingertips. I spent about an hour in one, and it was pretty overwhelming.

Plus, it's fun to pretend you're flying a jet. I like to make the "whooshing" sound to myself. :)

Back