Pronunciation

kellyo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kello
How do you pronounce 'monocoque'? My tongue can do alot of stuff, touch the tip of my nose, go inverted, part my hair, but I can't get it to make that word into a sound.

Please spell phonetically.

kellyo said:
How do you pronounce 'monocoque'? My tongue can do alot of stuff, touch the tip of my nose, go inverted, part my hair, but I can't get it to make that word into a sound.

mon o coq

kellyo said:

mono cock

Let'sgoflying! said:
Wait wait wait
I think its "MAWN- oh -coke".

It a French word, and if a Frenchman ever heard you say it like that he'd "spit in your general direction and blow his nostrils at you"

According to Merriam Webster online, it can go either way. They show Coke as primary and Cock as secondary.

which merriam webster you guys using, the version I use agrees with me (no surprise ;) )
(wav attached; source m-w.com, this was their only offered audio file)
not that it matters to me a WHL!

ps as far as how the French pronounce it, ha ha lets just look at some of those french words being used in the US right now.
Des Moines is french isn't it?

Last edited:
More pronunciations...
How do you say Ercoupe? Er coup or Air coup?
What about Bellanca? Beh LANG kah or Beh LONG kah>

Henning said:
It a French word, and if a Frenchman ever heard you say it like that he'd "spit in your general direction and blow his nostrils at you"

Go Boil your bottoms under a silly person!

Henning said:

You must know Frenchmen from a different region! :D Check out this one:

Coq au Vin (a french dish....uses the same root as our monocoque fuselage I think)

http://m-w.com/dictionary/coq au vin
Click on the tiny speaker to hear how MW thinks we should say it (anyone have a french origin online dictionary?)....
coq seems to be universally "COKE" according to MW.

wav attached.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:

Coq au Vin (a french dish....uses the same root as our monocoque fuselage I think)

http://m-w.com/dictionary/coq%20au%20vin
Click on the tiny speaker to hear how MW thinks we should say it (anyone have a french origin online dictionary?)....

wav attached.
Monocoque means "vessel of a single hull", so I doubt the derivation is necessarily the same.

kellyo said:
I can't get the wave to work...:dunno:

It is uploaded to POA (above) and on the m-w website, I just tried the wav and it plays fine with Soundrec.
Not sure what you need to hear it off the mw site.
In any case they are both saying it like the drink.

The true pronunciation of coque (or coq) is somewhere in between coke and cock.

That said, when i struggle to pronounce the word monocoque in english, it always comes out as cock as it's closer to the french pronunciation than coke is.

-frenchie

Let'sgoflying! said:

http://m-w.com/dictionary/coq%20au%20vin

wav attached.

Back