Project Grummans any one?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
There are 2 derilicks at Sanderson Field.

Hmmm. The second one must have had the turbine conversion before being abandonded. :)

If you're an A&P, these might be attractive. May be worth posting on the Grumman Gang. Still, its sad to see planes rot like that.

If you have the time and $$ could be a fun project. 29L looks like a B model and 80L looks like a C model. A little more HP in the C model I think but Cap't Ron is the guru on the Grumans, so I'd defer to him. I wish I had the time $$ and Knowledge to take on a project like that.

Hmmmm,
- 29L is an AA1 or maybe and AA1A...hard to tell the shape of the wing as the picture is blury. You can see that the shape of the nose gear is the more porpose prone earlier style of the original Yankee and the first cuff wing version the AA1A.
- 08L might be an AA5 Traveler, note how it appears that the canopy glass is longer and where the boarding handhelds are placed. Also the dorsal fin combined with the older paint scheme and pre-Tiger nose bowl indicates that it is probably not a C. This aircraft does have the pronounced turn in the nose gear that 29L doesn't.

Len

Last edited:
Crying shame.

29L must have had nice avionics at one time from the count of the antenna. It appears that the lube in the canopy tracks is being washed down the side of the aircraft over the wing. The more I look at it the more it looks like an original AA1 Yankee.

Really sad. If those two aircraft were in good flying shape together they would easily be worth over $50K.

Len

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Crying shame.

It appears that the lube in the canopy tracks is being washed down the side of the aircraft over the wing. .

Len

Nope, thats moss.

Ron Levy said:
5929L is an original "slick wing" AA-1, and 5809L is a Traveler.

Both of these aircraft have weather checked paint, exposing a lot of aluminum. Can the glue joints be trusted after all these years?

NC19143 said:
Both of these aircraft have weather checked paint, exposing a lot of aluminum. Can the glue joints be trusted after all these years?

The glue is not water-soluble and as neither is a '75 (the year of the "bad glue") the bonded joints will stay bonded long after the metal they are bonding has corroded to dust. The bigger problem might be corrosion in the honeycomb -- best to have a Grumman-savvy shop like (in that area) Air Mods NW take a look at them.

Ron Levy said:
The glue is not water-soluble and as neither is a '75 (the year of the "bad glue") the bonded joints will stay bonded long after the metal they are bonding has corroded to dust.

I figure that is well under way.

The bigger problem might be corrosion in the honeycomb -- best to have a Grumman-savvy shop like (in that area) Air Mods NW take a look at them.

I think I saw all I wanted to, these aircraft are beyond recovery, It would cost twice what they are worth to restore them.

Back