Prohibited airspace for past Presidents

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I noticed on the VFR sectional as shown on AirNav that P-49 for Crawford, TX is still shown. So I went to another airspace of which I am familiar...the hills north of Santa Barbara, CA do not show a prohibition for Reagan's ranch.

Except for perhaps AirNav hasn't updated their VFR chart (a stretch after 6 yrs) how long does a Pres. enjoy the privilege after leaving office?

I think it lasts for as long as the former chief executive is alive.

Reagan passed away in 2004 so he's no longer in residence there. George the younger still has a tfr over Kennebunkport. I guess they rate one as long as they live. Asinine that it might be but we seem to have the same opinion of our current pres and vice.
I wonder why Warren Buffet doesn't rate one. After all, he is probably more influential than all politicos put together. Maybe even Bill Gates should have one as well. Where would we be without Microsoft.

Neither Clinton nor Carter has prohibited airspace, yet both are still living. And Bush hasn't lived in Crawford for years.

Neither Clinton nor Carter has prohibited airspace, yet both are still living. And Bush hasn't lived in Crawford for years.

Hmmm. Interesting observations.

President Bush does still have his ranch, and he does still go there, though he and his bride mostly live in their Dallas home, which also has a little ring over it, 0-1500' AGL, but as it is inside the surface Bravo, it is rarely an issue. It is in line with the approach for 33 at KADS, but normal procedures have one well above its top.

Is this kind of protection such that it can be declined by the former POTUS? Perhaps so...

Bush 2 has a small TFR over the house in Dallas. Obvious that as soon as his term ended, Laura said "no more, I don't want to be in the boonies anymore!"

That's because the SS never knows which motel Clinton is in and with what woman. :D

Is this kind of protection such that it can be declined by the former POTUS? Perhaps so...
Yes it is. For example, I believe that former President Nixon signed off of his Secret Service protection in his later years.

Former President Reagan was seldom at the ranch from the mid 1990s on, due to his illness. It's easy to identify the ranch on the chart -- the Gaviota (GVO) VORTAC is on the ranch property itself. Marine One used to bring the President in to a cleared helipad next to the VORTAC transmitter.

Photos from 1992:

Family-1990s-03012.jpg

This was taken from near the VORTAC transmitter, looking east. This is the Jeep in which President Reagan drove Gorbachev around the ranch on his visit that same year.

Family-1990s-03058.jpg

Family-1990s-03016.jpg

That brass plate on the front door says, "On this site in 1897 ... nothing happened."

Last edited:
Washington left office in 1797 and there's still a P-area over his house.

Back