Progamming G1000 Question

B

birnie40

On an approach there is a procedure turn (PT) but you are not required to complete it, how do you eliminate the procedure turn? I have looked everywhere and cannot find out how to do this.

Here is what I have tried to do. Highlight the PT and then use the clear button. Didn't work for me.

What I have been doing is using the Direct key to go around the PT. Is this the only way?

Steve

Generally, you'd select VECTORS when you load the approach if you are bypassing the procedure turn. Either that you select the IAF where the PT isn't required.

It is however possible that you found an error in the approach programming in the database, if you select an IAF noted with NO PT but the Garmin doesn't delete the PT. In that case either the chart or the database is in error, and you should let Garmin know of the confusion.

But as a practical matter, what you do (selecting the fix after the PT and activating it with the Direct key) works. You may also try highlighting the fix, hitting the MENU button, and activating just that leg, which should give you the proper inbound course instead of a direct track.

Usually, when you select the approach and there is a course reversal (PT or Hold), it asks the question: "Course Reversal Required?" (or something to that effect).
I haven't checked, but you may not get the question if your heading to the fix will require a turn greater than some number (>90 ??) degrees to the inbound course (indicating a course reversal is required).
If you don't get the question, and don't want to do the reversal, then using the Direct key is the appropriate (only) thing to do...

I had this happen to me on my last training flight. While "it depends" is always an acceptable answer, I would recommend you use 'Activate Vector to Final' as your standard option.

I had this happen to me on my last training flight. While "it depends" is always an acceptable answer, I would recommend you use 'Activate Vector to Final' as your standard option.

The problem with the 'vector to final' option is you get no course guidance on the MFD until you cross the FAF.

A better way to do it is simply select any IAF and activate the approach. Then put the blinker on the FAF and press direct-to, this pops up with another window. From this window use the outer FMS knob to select course and set it to the approach course. Then press ENT twice. Now you have an extended approach course line which extends well beyond the FAF. Now regardless of what range you have selected, you have course guidance. Assuming you have track vector turned on, you simply line up the track vector to your course, and voila, you have instant wind correction and you can turn precisely on the final approach course with no guessing.

Last edited:
Another way to do it (if there is an IF) is to select the approach using an IAF (not VTF), and then activating the leg between the IF and the FAF after the coded PT or HILOPT. This essentially gives you positive course guidance onto the final approach course (inside the IF), while still allowing you to reference your position to both the IF and the FAF. This is often helpful when receiving vectors to a longer final.

You should also be able to highlight "PROCEDURE TURN" on the MFD and hit CLR, ENTER (after the "Remove Procedure Turn?" prompt). I just tried this successfully on the G1000 simulator.

Last edited:
Steve,

You have yet to answer my question asking you to provide a specific example. The reason I would like to see your specific example is to review whether or not you were required to fly the PT or not and to be able to determine your options.

Back