Professional pilot

timrev8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Hi i am a private pilot and 30 years old.
I am thinking of going for professional pilot within 10 years.

would this be possible to do part time just like i did the private?

I am a self employed contractor so my hours are flexible.

is it possible to be a professional pilot without a bachelor degree?

if possible would the pay to start be ok?

PopCorn.png

But in seriousness... If you're really good at that contracting job, stick with that and have flying for fun.

Yes.

If 'professional pilot' to you means 'airline pilot' including the stupid hat and easy to wrinkle shirt, then no, without a degree in something you are probably not going to get in.

If 'professional pilot' to you means: Make at least part of a living flying a plane around in some capacity': sure.

Tomorrow morning 'Bob' is going to fly a 152 from here to Colorado and bring back an Aeronca Chief on the way back. He is as professional a pilot as you could find anywhere and he makes a couple of bucks doing those flights, but you'll never see him in anything but jeans and a scuffed leather jacket.

If you can afford to make it work with your schedule, you can do the requisite certs like commercial and CFI piecemeal, either with your local school or by going to one of the training mills. With a flexible schedule from your bread job, you can instruct or contract fly quite a bit on the side.

Once you notice that aviation is not only shiny jets but also flying an attorney in his 210 to a deposition or a construction manager to a jobsite in his companies Cherokee Six, the task of becoming a 'professional pilot' doesn't become insurmountable.

Fwiw, based on the age structure in the pilot population, there WILL be an opening up of positions at all levels over the course of the next 5 years. For every 65 year old who finally gets pried out of his airline cockpit kicking and screaming, there is a job at the bottom rung (CFI, drop-zone pilot) opening up somewhere.

Last edited:
Possible? Sure.

Probable? Uhhhhh . . .

Sure you can. I would however, keep the contracting gig so you can afford to be a professional pilot. No I am not kidding.

I am a professional pilot/mechanic/manager.

It took 15 years and a lot of luck to get to where I am. Right place at the right time.

129 pilots retired from AA last month. The company responded by cutting back flights.

Yes.

If 'professional pilot' to you means 'airline pilot' including the stupid hat and easy to wrinkle shirt, then no, without a degree in something you are probably not going to get in.

If 'professional pilot' to you means: Make at least part of a living flying a plane around in some capacity': sure.

Tomorrow morning 'Bob' is going to fly a 152 from here to Colorado and bring back an Aeronca Chief on the way back. He is as professional a pilot as you could find anywhere and he makes a couple of bucks doing those flights, but you'll never see him in anything but jeans and a scuffed leather jacket.

If you can afford to make it work with your schedule, you can do the requisite certs like commercial and CFI piecemeal, either with your local school or by going to one of the training mills. With a flexible schedule from your bread job, you can instruct or contract fly quite a bit on the side.

Once you notice that aviation is not only shiny jets but also flying an attorney in his 210 to a deposition or a construction manager to a jobsite in his companies Cherokee Six, the task of becoming a 'professional pilot' doesn't become insurmountable.

Fwiw, based on the age structure in the pilot population, there WILL be an opening up of positions at all levels over the course of the next 5 years. For every 65 year old who finally gets pried out of his airline cockpit kicking and screaming, there is a job at the bottom rung (CFI, drop-zone pilot) opening up somewhere.

129 pilots retired from AA last month. The company responded by cutting back flights.

Do you think the airline industry will cut itself out of business over the course of the next 35 years just because they are afraid of replacing expensive old pilots with cheaper younger ones ?

Long term, air travel and air freight is not going to decrease.

There will be some streamlining once the first remote controllable autopilots come along eliminating the need for a FO on most of the regional flights (and the need for a pilot on the nighttime parcel runs), but I don't see that extending into the industry beyond those areas.

Back