Process for getting to solo

SoloEqs

Line Up and Wait
From out of the clear blue of the Western sky
Display Name

Display name:
K W
One problem with being older than sand is that I haven't kept up with the process one goes through now to get to solo.

Back in the day, you flew a few hours, then the IP got out and said "give me three."

I have a friend who is starting from scratch.

Does she need to take a ground school course, or can she just take the written without any kind of prerequisite?

Does she need the written passed before she solos? Before XC?

An online course won't work for her (limited access), so what seems to be the best DVD or book course?

Anything else that she needs to know?

Thanks!

Depends on the instructor I guess, no legal requirement, but I think most will make you take a test before you solo (usually insurance requires it). It's not the FAA Written, it's a smaller one, and it's to take home.

Some instructor/schools will make you take the FAA Written before you do your solo XC.

There is a pre-solo test required but it's not the written. She'll need a sign off from a CFI or a ground instructor to take the written, I know a lot of instructors like to see three practice tests with scores of 90 or above to sign off if the student does his/her self study.

My CFI wanted me to take my written right around my first solo XC, I took it the week after I did mine.

She will need her medical before she solos if she is doing the PPL route.

A written test is required by regulation, but it is NOT the formal standardized written test. It's made by your instructor. They tend to be pretty heavy on 14 CFR 61.89, for kinda obvious reasons.

Requirements to solo are spelled out in 14 CFR 61.87.

Need a medical ,a pre solo test given by instructor,sign of by instructor.

Nearly every school offers ground courses in-person. If she knows nothing about planes...as in, flight physics, instrumentation, has no idea what a VOR is, etc... then it might be benefical to go in-person so she can ask clarifying questions. I think most folks still prefer the King DVD's but I used Sporty's and they were good. That said, I really started my training in my early 40's and had a Flying magazine subscriptions since I was 9 years old...I wasn't apprehensive at all about doing my own ground school and taking any questions I had to my CFI.

As for the solo, it's up to the CFI and obviously dependent on her flying skills. With regular flying (at least one lesson a week) she should be able to solo around the 10-15 hour mark. Prior to that the flying time will be spent doing all the flying and ground reference maneuvers (stalls, slow flight, steep turns, turns around a point, etc...). She'll have several pattern sessions where all she'll do is land about 20 times in an hour and a half. I think most CFI's, once the time is there, will start counting how many landings the pilot can do without any help. Once she can do 5-10 a row with no help from the CFI, she'll get signed off to solo.

In my case there were two solo's with a written pre-solo test prior that I took home. I had been studying quite a bit for the written even though I didn't take it until a couple weeks before my checkride, so the pre-solo test was pretty straightforward. She'll review it with the CFI (and it will cover things like emergency procedures, pattern altitudes, airspace, etc...).

On the first solo, my CFI and I went up and did a couple landings and she got out and told me to do 3 more TnG's then signed my logbook for my first solo. I came back the next day and we basically did the same thing and from that point on I was cleared to solo on my own. I had my own plane so I did a few more solo's that most folks but all I did was contact my CFI prior to let him/her know that I was going to fly and what I was going to do.

Once she gets to the cross country phase - which is what you start focusing on post-solo - it will be pretty much the same process. She'll do several dual's with the CFI, including a night XC and then she'll get signed off to do her XC solo's. She'll have to put a navigation log for each solo together and have the CFI approve it and notate it in her log book before doing a XC.

As Aviatrix mentioned - she'll need her medical prior to a solo. Honestly, I'd recommend everyone go do that first before they spend a bunch of time/money on flying and find out that they can't fly or have some paperwork to do that delays the medical a while. Doesn't happen that often, but you never know...

Good luck to her!

Thanks for the info!

To clarify:

She's going to be taking her lessons in my plane, probably with a CFI who's not associated with a full-service FBO / school, simply because there isn't an FBO at the airport where I'm based. The FBOs around here plunk students down in front of the computer or TV for ground school, so I want to save her the trip -- I also wanted to make sure that we can get her a used course and save some money (I'd heard rumors that you had to have some kind of certificate from the course before you could take the written).

She passed her medical, and I'm confident in her ability and intelligence, it's mostly a matter of picking an instructor and scheduling.

Once she has soloed, she'll be able to use my plane while I'm out of the area with my work. I'm expecting this year's contract to start in March, so that's our time frame and why I was worrying about her needing to pass the written first.

Thanks for the info!

To clarify:

She's going to be taking her lessons in my plane, probably with a CFI who's not associated with a full-service FBO / school, simply because there isn't an FBO at the airport where I'm based. The FBOs around here plunk students down in front of the computer or TV for ground school, so I want to save her the trip -- I also wanted to make sure that we can get her a used course and save some money (I'd heard rumors that you had to have some kind of certificate from the course before you could take the written).

She passed her medical, and I'm confident in her ability and intelligence, it's mostly a matter of picking an instructor and scheduling.

Once she has soloed, she'll be able to use my plane while I'm out of the area with my work. I'm expecting this year's contract to start in March, so that's our time frame and why I was worrying about her needing to pass the written first.

Let's just check that little old insurance policy with regard to students soloing....

Bob Gardner

Does she need to take a ground school course, or can she just take the written without any kind of prerequisite?
The regulation requires an instructor's endorsement to take the knowledge test ("written") for Private Pilot, and that endorsement is based on either completion of a formal training course (including computer-based or on-line training, not just the traditional classroom) or the instructor's review with the trainee of whatever home study materials the trainee used.

Does she need the written passed before she solos? Before XC?
The trainee has to take a written test before solo, but not the "written" test (i.e., the formal knowledge test taken at the testing center). The pre-solo written is developed by the instructor or the flight school, and includes (by regulation):
(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.
The pre-solo test is then reviewed and corrected to 100% with the instructor before solo. The "real" written test need not be taken until just before the practical test.

An online course won't work for her (limited access), so what seems to be the best DVD or book course?
That really depends on the individual. If she's a good book learner, I strongly recommend Bob Gardner's "The Complete Private Pilot", available here:
http://www.asa2fly.com/The-Complete-Private-Pilot-P1518.aspx
Note that this is now available in e-book format as well as paper.

If computer-based DVD's are more her learning style, there are quite a few out there but the King and Sporty's DVD's are probably the two most popular.

She's going to be taking her lessons in my plane, probably with a CFI who's not associated with a full-service FBO / school, simply because there isn't an FBO at the airport where I'm based.
In that case, I'd suggest selecting the training materials in coordination with that CFI. In addition, make sure that CFI has a full package of training materials including a syllabus and flight training plan.

The FBOs around here plunk students down in front of the computer or TV for ground school, so I want to save her the trip -- I also wanted to make sure that we can get her a used course and save some money (I'd heard rumors that you had to have some kind of certificate from the course before you could take the written).
You'll need that certificate (signed by an in-house instructor from the outfit which developed the training package) if you want to do it without her CFI in the loop. Otherwise, the CFI will sit down with her, review the training materials, and when satisfied that she knows her stuff, sign the necessary endorsement for her to go take the PP knowledge test.

I want to get her started on the ground school now, while we're still looking for the right IP. There's a possibility that I won't get a contract this year, but if I do, I may not have a lot of time to get her started. I'm hoping that she'll have her ticket in time that she can fly out for Oshkosh.

Which course seems the best bang for the buck, King or Sporty's? She'll be getting the Gardner book, too.

I know that this is subjective (the student pilot version of an "oil" thread), but I don't want her to waste money.

Most say King - I used Sporty's and it was good enough for me.

Insurance to add me to the Cherokee 235 I bought into wasn't as much as I had expected. It added another $190 a year to the premium which I pay. Only 1 of the other 3 guys is IFR rated but he does have something like 18k hours and is a retired airline 737 captain. Not sure how that factors in. It will go down again when the policy renews this month because I have my PPL and over 100 hours total time.

Your insurance policy will certainly have to be amended to add her and possibly the CFI. Ours required that the CFI information be on file but they were fine with anyone from the school who was a CFI to fly with me without additional paperwork being done. I used 3 CFI's, so that was nice to not have to have every one of them do the paperwork.

I hope you intend to fly with her or have an experienced Oshkosh veteran fly her or with her on that trip? Definitely not the kind of trip you want to send a newly minted PPL on. :) I'm planning on going this year with a couple of the other Partners in the plane. I'm certain I won't be the one flying us in.

Last edited:
If we go to Oshkosh and she brings the plane, she'll be staging somewhere outside of the Great Wittman Dogfight and we'll fly in together.

By then, she will have several thousand miles of XC here in the West.

I have no doubts about her abilities, we just need to get all of the tickets punched.

Back