Procedure Turn or Not KPWM ILS 29 from CDOGG1 Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen, pilots who don't fly for a living understand that it's required too. For example:

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=67010

That's why I'm wondering if it's spelled out explicitly in the 7110.65. There are enough controllers who seem unaware of the requirement, that it seems like it needs to be.

Most controllers that are not pilots don't know squat about instrument approach procedures. Further, some of them even hold the 7110.65 in distain. It's all about their particular facilities culture and facility-specific training environment.

Prior to its issuance, a pilot arriving from any route other than those labeled “NoPT” and electing not to execute the PT, while not receiving radar vectors, would be subject to enforcement action.

What do you base that on? I've observed many pilots skip PTs in similar situations and none of them were subject to enforcement action.

Now you're just getting ridiculous :) It's pretty clear that without the NOTAM the procedure turn is indeed required.

How so? None of the courses or altitudes on the STAR or IAP were changed in any way.

The purpose of the NOTAM isn't to teach pilots the rules - it's to correct their error.

The error in flying a PT where a course reversal is not required?

Correct -- error in the sense that they could make it no procedure turn required but didn't. I guess I'd call that lack of a feature not an error.

So the NOTAM adds a feature they didn't originally add but could have :)

The STAR didn't exist when the IAP was designed, can't designate a route as NoPT that doesn't exist. There should have been better coordination.

:yeahthat:

At this point it seems as if you're just trolling. There is no ambiguity here. Without a NoPT notation the HILPT is required. Just because you've "observed many pilots skip course reversals in similar situations" does not mean that it was ok. Just because you didn't give them a number to call doesn't mean that somebody that actually understands the regulations wouldn't.

I used to love having you chime into these threads because I wanted to hear opinions on things from the other side of the radio. But if you're willing to sit here and willingly tell pilots to break the rules in order to avoid admitting that you were wrong...then everything that you say is now tainted in my eyes.

Good lord. Just admit when you're wrong.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, I just have to be wrong before I do that. You say the HILPT is required because the AIM says it is and in your mind the AIM is regulatory; fine. I'll stick with the FARs.

Id sure like to hear the explanation on that....:dunno:
Did you actually read the NOTAM?..that like telling people 2+2=6

Of course I read the NOTAM. Did you? Here it is:
FDC 2/3044 (A0804/12) - FI/T IAP PORTLAND INTL JETPORT, PORTLAND, ME.
ILS OR LOC RWY 29, AMDT 3...
ILS RWY 29 (SA CAT I), AMDT 3...
ILS RWY 29 (SA CAT II), AMDT 3...
RNAV (GPS) RWY 29, AMDT 2...
ADD NOTE AT SAPPE: NOPT FOR ARRIVAL ON CDOGG AND SCOGS ARRIVAL. WIE UNTIL
UFN. CREATED: 12 SEP 14:06 2012

It's been my position from the start that arrival via SAPPE did not require a course reversal. The folks that issued the NOTAM clearly agree with that.

Well, you’re close, Steven - Issuance of the NOTAM shows that they believe a PT should not be required when the specified feeder routes are used; upon issuance of the NOTAM, pilots can rely upon that bit of common-sense without fear of reprisal.

Prior to its issuance, a pilot arriving from any route other than those labeled “NoPT” and electing not to execute the PT, while not receiving radar vectors, would be subject to enforcement action.

The issuance of the NOTAM also backs up my claim that FAA needs to get their feces in a pile.

Appears that they've started the process. :)

"If you can't do it right the first time, what makes you think you'll have time and resources to do it over?" comes to mind a lot, recently.

What do you base that on? I've observed many pilots skip PTs in similar situations and none of them were subject to enforcement action.

Controllers who don't know the rules, won't report pilots who also don't know the rules.

The issuance of the NOTAM also backs up my claim that FAA needs to get their feces in a pile.

Appears that they've started the process. :)

"If you can't do it right the first time, what makes you think you'll have time and resources to do it over?" comes to mind a lot, recently.

I am responsible for the issuance of the NOTAM. This stuff happens, particularly between stuff that involves both air traffic (STARS) and the flight procedures folks (Aero Nav).

In fact, Aero Nav has the coordination website to give all you users an opportunity to evaluate and comment.

If you want to get the FAA to do better you better let your congressperson know that. Lots of luck.

Our controller friend has gotten his shorts in such a knot over this one he has reduced himself to the status of a f***king troll. He is always right no matter what. And, he has a history of being argumentative to boot. Just think, this guy controls traffic at Green Bay, WI.

It's been my position from the start that arrival via SAPPE did not require a course reversal. The folks that issued the NOTAM clearly agree with that.

The arrival may not have physically required a course reversal, but as charted it did. (I know, you don't agree). The NOTAM fixed this charting error. It was not issued to say that you were right and all us dumb pilots were wrong.

It did until the NOTAM was issued.

The issuance of the NOTAM proves the point.

Your hubris and argument isnt worth a pitcher of warm P!$$.... only intellectual vermon would believe this crap.. Thanks for adding 5 wasted pages to this thread to serve your bull****

Last edited:
I am responsible for the issuance of the NOTAM. This stuff happens, particularly between stuff that involves both air traffic (STARS) and the flight procedures folks (Aero Nav).

Sounds like a merger is in order. Or as my old boss said, "One throat to choke." Who's responsible? No using "procedure" to hide behind. I know assigning true responsibility is unpopular these days, but one or the other group needs to be. ;)

In fact, Aero Nav has the coordination website to give all you users an opportunity to evaluate and comment.

Under the pilot rules in this particular example, why would anyone have commented?

They'd just fly the procedure turn assuming you guys didn't allow the straight in for some obscure reason.

We hire y'all to be the experts.

(This answer comes out of regulatory agencies a lot... "We're open to comments!" but it's a non-sequitur in most corner cases like this one. Only a pilot on a vendetta to shave three minutes off of their flights would have the time to look for these.)

Most pilots would just say, "Gotta do the PT on that one." and think nothing more of it.

Nothing to comment on.

If you want to get the FAA to do better you better let your congressperson know that. Lots of luck.

I do and did. Have been a thorn in Coffman's butt for years over FAA running on Continuing Resolutions.

Whether any of it gets past his staffers, I don't know. Haven't hunted him down in person yet. ;)

Our controller friend has gotten his shorts in such a knot over this one he has reduced himself to the status of a f***king troll. He is always right no matter what. And, he has a history of being argumentative to boot. Just think, this guy controls traffic at Green Bay, WI.

That's a nice deflection, but not root-cause.

He's been flat wrong about the rules for pilots, but I see nothing in this particular example that indicates to me he would ever lose control of the aircraft entrusted to him.

He has clearly said if no traffic were observed other than the Approach aircraft and they flew a straight-in or a PT, he didn't care. There is a difference between that and a loss of control or separation.

It's not a fair point saying you're worried about his control skills.

Sounds like he has a bone to pick with Approaches built wrong, but that's an internal battle y'all can figure out. You work for the same company, after all. Teamwork and hugs and joy and all that happy horse-pucky. ;)

He may not know the pilot rules, but he's not going to vector someone into you while you're flying either option. Thats a stretch.

The mistake's root cause wasn't in the Tower Cab on this one. Can't get off that easy.

Saying "there are two different grumps writing different procedures" also doesn't really cut it either.

Good job fixing it, no doubt. Now go find the person who botched the thing and bop them on the head. :) :) :)

If they have three "deals" are they fired, forever? ;)

Kinda looks to me like the backup system just barely worked. A controller (who doesn't care how it's flown) answered a guy's question by saying, "Don't care. Probably not really necessary out here in the real world.", the Internet exploded in opinions, and you (the only guy with both the responsibilty and authority to do so), did whatever FAA internal magic it took to issue a NOTAM.

Good job. Not Stephen's fault though. Also not a reflection on his skills as a controller.

...the Internet exploded in opinions, and you (the only guy with both the responsibilty and authority to do so), did whatever FAA internal magic it took to issue a NOTAM.
Wally Roberts works for the FAA now?! :popcorn:

dtuuri

Denver Pilot, Mr Roberts is your TERPS-loving interlocutor of a few posts back.
This is just equivocating on 'require', as I suspect you know. Seems everyone in this thread - and those responsible for the NOTAMed amendment to the IAP - agrees that the course reversal is not 'required' as a practical matter. Seems everyone in this thread - with a one exception - agrees that it was 'required' from a regulatory standpoint prior to the issuance of the NOTAM.

I think I provided a solid argument in support of my position in message #51. If I'm wrong you should easily tear that argument apart. I invite you to take a shot at it.

The arrival may not have physically required a course reversal, but as charted it did. (I know, you don't agree). The NOTAM fixed this charting error. It was not issued to say that you were right and all us dumb pilots were wrong.

The issue is the physical requirement for the course reversal.

Your hubris and argument isnt worth a pitcher of warm P!$$.... only intellectual vermon would believe this crap.. Thanks for adding 5 wasted pages to this thread to serve your bull****

I believe you mean vermin.

If you feel my argument is so weak it should be a simple matter for you to pick it apart. I invite you to try.

You going to make me Google that name? ;)

(Don't know who Wally Roberts is.)

No, I won't. Here you go: http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182605-1.html

The irony of this discussion, as I remember the history anyway, is that roncachamp holds the view that ALPA used to hold--that PTs were a Captain's discretionary maneuver. They sought an official ruling on their contention for almost 10 years and finally recieved the interpretation cited by John Collins (post #20) early in this thread. The irony? Wally was an ALPA representative at the time. It would be interesting for him to give us the inside story and whether he believed, as roncachamp does now, the ALPA party line, or just had to salute smartly. :)

dtuuri

Last edited:
Sounds like a merger is in order. Or as my old boss said, "One throat to choke." Who's responsible? No using "procedure" to hide behind. I know assigning true responsibility is unpopular these days, but one or the other group needs to be. ;)

They're assigned to different groups because they have different purposes. STARs provide a preplanned procedure published for pilot use in graphic and textual form that simplifies clearance delivery. There are no terrain or obstacle clearance issues because they do not take aircraft below already established minimum IFR altitudes. IAPs and SIDs obviously do have those issues because they take aircraft from enroute altitudes to the surface or from the surface to the enroute environment.

Under the pilot rules in this particular example, why would anyone have commented?

They'd just fly the procedure turn assuming you guys didn't allow the straight in for some obscure reason.

We hire y'all to be the experts.

You guys? "aterpster" is not a "TERPSter", he's a former airline pilot. While he has a penchant for TERPS he has no actual experience; he's never designed a published procedure. Nor does he have any actual experience or training in ATC.

He's been flat wrong about the rules for pilots, but I see nothing in this particular example that indicates to me he would ever lose control of the aircraft entrusted to him.

By "the rules for pilots" do you mean the FARs or the AIM?

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, I just have to be wrong before I do that. You say the HILPT is required because the AIM says it is and in your mind the AIM is regulatory; fine. I'll stick with the FARs.

"It's so hard to be humble when I'm so perfect in every way." The FAR at issue is Part 97. But, I wouldn't expect you to be conversant with source documents.

Denver Pilot, Mr Roberts is your TERPS-loving interlocutor of a few posts back.
This is just equivocating on 'require', as I suspect you know. Seems everyone in this thread - and those responsible for the NOTAMed amendment to the IAP - agrees that the course reversal is not 'required' as a practical matter. Seems everyone in this thread - with a one exception - agrees that it was 'required' from a regulatory standpoint prior to the issuance of the NOTAM.

In what FAR is that regulatory requirement located?

You guys? "aterpster" is not a "TERPSter", he's a former airline pilot. While he has a penchant for TERPS he has no actual experience; he's never designed a published procedure. Nor does he have any actual experience or training in ATC.

Once again, you are assuming facts not in evidence.

I did actually design one procedure in 1974 when the regional office said it couldn't be done. VOR/DME-B at KEMT.

And, I redrew countless IAPS that appeared to have obstacle clearance issues and found errors in more than a few. This was mostly pre-automatation days. But, I recall in recent years finding a significant error in a turn onto final for an IAP to Runway 29 at KGJT. The procedures office agreed and pulled the procedure.

During the TWA 514 hearing based on the testimony of an AAL captain who bragged he flew the ASR because it had lower minimums that the VRO/DME IAP that TWA 514 flew, I reconstructed the ASR final approach segment and found numberous violations of required obstacle clearance which we (ALPA) introducted at the hearing.

So, I choose to use the moniker "aterpster." Last time I checked it wasn't patented.

As to ATC experience many hours of light airplane IFR experience and some 14,000 plus hours of flying around the NAS IFR provides a lot of insight to those who are insightful. Plus, as chairman of ALPA's TERPs Committee I interfaced closely with ALPA's ATC committee, some members of which were former FAA controllers and experienced airline pilots. You can't beat that combination.

The errors committed by ATC in my years of airline flying are fodder for a book.

Wally Roberts uses the handle aterpster in this forum.

And, I wrote a whole lot of articles for IFR Refresher under my name in the 1990s, not to mention several articles for the Air Line Pilot magazine and 5, or so, for BCA.

Where are your published articles? I would enjoy reading them.

The STAR didn't exist when the IAP was designed, can't designate a route as NoPT that doesn't exist. There should have been better coordination.

And, as a result of this thread and my daily interface with the TERPs folks at AeroNav Services and AFS-420, there now will be.

You likely missed the nuance that the NOTAM at KPWM is a "T" NOTAM when it should be a "P" NOTAM. That is as a place holder for safety until AFS-420 finalizes new language in the 8260.19E to cover this area.

What is the difference between a T, P, and Chart FDC NOTAM Steve?

No, I won't. Here you go: http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182605-1.html

The irony of this discussion, as I remember the history anyway, is that roncachamp holds the view that ALPA used to hold--that PTs were a Captain's discretionary maneuver. They sought an official ruling on their contention for almost 10 years and finally recieved the interpretation cited by John Collins (post #20) early in this thread. The irony? Wally was an ALPA representative at the time. It would be interesting for him to give us the inside story and whether he believed, as roncachamp does now, the ALPA party line, or just had to salute smartly. :)

dtuuri

I wrote both letters to the FAA on that issue. I was already retired so I couldn't sign them. The first was signed by the chairman of ALPA's CHIPS Committee, Captain Tom Young. The second letter was written to point out that the FAA really screwed up their first letter of interpretation (that letter subsequently disappeared other than the 1994 letter states "in further...") The second ALPA letter was signed by John O'Brien, the then manager of ALPA's Engineering and Air Safety Department. John was newly hired with the TWA 514 accident happened, and he was my (TERPS Committee) committee coordinator at the time.

On the Engineering and Air Safety staff, in addition to the pilots who were former controller, we had two staff employees who were also retired career controllers.

The TERPS Committee, of which I was the first chairman, subsequently became the CHIPS Committee (Charting and Instrument Procedures Committee.)

I wrote both letters to the FAA on that issue. I was already retired so I couldn't sign them.
Then does that mean you used to hold roncachamp's view too, and the interpretation changed it?

dtuuri

Then does that mean you used to hold roncachamp's view too, and the interpretation changed it?

dtuuri

Not at all. That wasn't what our request for that legal interpretation was about. I cite the first sentence of the FAA's corrected response:

"This is a clarification of our response to your letter of August 23, 1993. In that letter you requested an interpretation of Section 91.175 of the Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) (14 CFR Section 91.175). You address the necessity of executing a complete Standard Instrument Approach Procedure (SIAP) in a non-radar environment while operating under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). Our response assumes that each of the specific scenarios you pose speaks to a flight conducted under IFR in a non-radar environment."

But I am, see message #51.

In that post you were citing language from Part 97 without understanding the total context of Part 97, which requires a working knowledge of FAA Forms 8260-3 and 8260-5. Those forms are not intended for pilots, instead they provide regulatory source for the chart makers so they can correctly make approach charts. There is also a lot of non-regulatory data on approach charts such as frequencies, etc., that do not come from the regulatory source.

The 8260-3 and/or 8260-5 are provided to a given FAA ATC TRACON or center for IAPs in their airspace. There is abundant anecdotal evidence that controllers don't refer to these forms but, instead, use FAA approach charts. Thus, they miss alternate missed approach procedures unless they have a sharp airspace specialist at the facility.

Once again, you are assuming facts not in evidence.

An assumption based on previous questions on that subject that you declined to answer.

I did actually design one procedure in 1974 when the regional office said it couldn't be done. VOR/DME-B at KEMT.

Was your design published?

So, I choose to use the moniker "aterpster." Last time I checked it wasn't patented.

Probably no copyright either.

As to ATC experience many hours of light airplane IFR experience and some 14,000 plus hours of flying around the NAS IFR provides a lot of insight to those who are insightful. Plus, as chairman of ALPA's TERPs Committee I interfaced closely with ALPA's ATC committee, some members of which were former FAA controllers and experienced airline pilots. You can't beat that combination.

That combination does not constitute actual experience or training in ATC.

The errors committed by ATC in my years of airline flying are fodder for a book.

As far as you can tell based on your knowledge of ATC. Many opilots believe they have a solid unserstanding of ATC, few of them actually do.

And, I wrote a whole lot of articles for IFR Refresher under my name in the 1990s, not to mention several articles for the Air Line Pilot magazine and 5, or so, for BCA.

And none of that constitutes actual experience in TERPS.

Where are your published articles? I would enjoy reading them.

Where did I claim to be an author?

Thread locked pending MC review.

All parties have stated their opinion. There is no reason to continue this discussion by turning our attention to the qualifications of those posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back