Procedure for taxiing to an FBO?

shizam

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shizam
Hi All,
Very new pilot here, I'll be taking a quick trip this weekend from Palo Alto to Sonoma and it'll be my first trip after getting my license where I'm actually landing and parking for a couple hours with an FBO. I'll be flying a 172SP into KSTS and tying down at Sonoma Jet Center FBO, I was wondering what the procedure is for taxiing over to an FBO and getting tied down?

Once I contact ground I assume I'd say "Taxiing to Sonoma Jet Center" and they'll navigate me to the FBO's area but do I need to contact the FBO itself somehow, does ground contact them? Where do I cut my engine, do I taxi over and just cut it on their ramp or does somebody come out and point where to go?

I've taxied to transient parking a couple times at airports and know how that works, you just do everything yourself, I've just never interacted w/an FBO before.

http://www.sonomajetcenter.com/

Thanks!

I'm sure some much more experienced pilots will chime in soon; but in my experience the FBO will send somebody out to direct you to parking. No extra effort on your part.

Yep, just pull up and look for someone to flag you to where they want to park, they usually listen to the ground/CTAF and will figure out that you're not doing T&Gs if you ask/announce taxi to the ramp. If not, find a likely spot and stop and call on Unicom (may or may not be the CTAF frequency) for directions. If you don't get a response (unlikely) then just shut down and chocks and/or tie-down. You can sort it out inside if they need it somewhere else. Make sure to ask what the cost for tie-down is. Some places will laugh and say it's fine for a few hours, other places will ask you to cough up $15 (looking at you Portland, ME) for a few hours unless you buy fuel.

Typically someone from the FBO will be listening on the radio or watching out the window and you will see a ramper marshaling you to where they want you. If not, tie down areas are usually marked or obvious and place yourself accordingly. The only real thing you don't want to do is park right in front of the hangar door unless of course you need some mechanical service, then it is the best place to pull up.

All good tips, when in doubt, like your first trip, call the FBO and ask. If you are embarrassed to ask, just give a different tail number on the phone.:D Usually, someone will direct you to parking, if not I usually look around and park in line with the other planes. ;)

Ask the controller for progressive taxi to the FBO,when you enter the ramp they will usually have someone to park you,if not call the FBO on the radio or look for the prop aircraft parking area.

No need for progressives. Sonoma Jet Center is REALLY REALLY obvious from the parallel taxiway. If landing a straight-in from Palo Alto, it's on the right. It's very close to the control tower, just past the little commercial terminal (depending on the time of day, there may be an ATR-42 twin turboprop in Alaska Airlines livery there).

Park on the ramp in front of the FBO, and then go in. Let them top off the tanks -- there is something like 10 cents per gallon difference between full and self serve, and it's still cheaper than PAO. They will let you park for free for a few hours even if you don't, as long as you aren't in their way. But you might as well let the Club pay for it….

The restaurant is good for a visit, and it's even open for dinner. It's in the terminal, steak and sushi. The food is good, and so is the, ahem, "scenery." It's an easy walk from Jet Center; there is a gate in front of the control tower.

It's a somewhat sleepy FBO with plenty of space. Just park next to the other single-engines. It will be obvious.

If you want a more traditional full service FBO, go to Oakland. Same deal -- free for a few hours (but the restaurant is REAL FAR, though the air museum is very close by). Fuel is prohibitively expensive at OAK. You'll get a follow-me pickup out there faster than you can say "Landmark." They have a ton of crew cars, but I'd expect those would require a ramp fee or fuel (never tried it there).

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys, and for the detailed info MAKG! I'm flying in to pick up a bunch of specialty beer from Russian River Brewing to bring back ;)

Hey MAKG, any tips for landing/taxiing at STS? Like I said, I've landed there once but never parked, I know all the secret tips for landing at PAO (my home-base) but am wondering if there are gotchas or helpful hints at STS? I'll probably fly up the coast (to avoid SFO).

If you're flying up the coast to avoid Class B, you'll be doing it very low and over water.

You need to do a Class B transition soon. The local CFIs like to treat it like it's this big scary hard thing, but it really isn't. Once you've done it, you'll wonder what the big deal was. Frankly, it's easier to transition than it is to avoid. A lot easier. Ask PAO for a straight-out to Santa Rosa through class B, request flight following. Then climb to 3500. You'll be handed off to San Carlos, then NorCal. Don't cross Hwy 92 until you hear the magic words "Cleared into Class B." Be ready to deal with it if told to remain clear or if San Carlos gets slammed and hands you off late (BTDT).

You can also transition at 1500, but some of the obstructions are higher than that, and if there is any wind, you'll get your teeth knocked out. For that, you get handed off to SFO Tower instead of NorCal.

There is nothing special about STS, except maybe the V-shaped runway config. Just double check you're at the correct runway, both with signage and with the mag compass when lined up. It's not very busy, the runways are long, and the ATC crew is easygoing. STS will not give you flight following. You have to contact Oakland Center directly in the air.

My CFII gave me some good tips.

Tip 1: If you use Foreflight, use the highlighter to highlight where the FBO is on the airport diagram. if you know what RWY you will be landing on, you can highlight the route as well.

Tip 2: Use the text function to type the name of the FBO next to it so it will help when you contact ground for taxi after you land.

Tip 3: He calls this ramp etiquette. If there is a line person in front of you before you are starting to leave the FBO, flash the landing lights to indicate you are about to taxi.

Have fun!

You can also contact Sonoma Jet Center from the air when nearby, or when on the ground, on 131.375 should you have any questions.

Hi Shazam! Ron from Sonoma Jet Center here. I am part of the maintenance team here and we are all pilots and aircraft owners. All of our line guys monitor ground 121.9. The tower guys will be happy to direct you here and one of our flightline guys will direct you to a parking spot, chock your wheels and answer any questions you might have. We have two courtesy cars that you can use. We have free coffee, water and cookies. A pilots lounge area as well as a flight planning room with free internet. The airport has been working on detaching and renaming the runways. 1/19 is now 2/20. you will normally land on 14 or 32. You can call our ATIS before you leave 707 545-2847 or weather advisory ASOS 707 573-8393. Lots to do here. Pacific Coast Air museum is close by. The cheese burgers at the Sky lounge are excellent. you can reach me by asking the people at the front desk. Have a great flight! Ron

Make sure you smoke a cheap cigar in the crew car.

Ask the controller for progressive taxi to the FBO,when you enter the ramp they will usually have someone to park you,if not call the FBO on the radio or look for the prop aircraft parking area.

This is good advice... At any FBO that has jet traffic, it is always safer to park away from jets... Their blast when positioning themselves on the ramp can flip a light GA plane....

Here in Jackson Hole the FBO get alot of kerosene burners and the ramp guys/gals will segregate prop from jet aircraft to prevent damage.. On the face it looks like they are treating you different but I can attest they treat singles just like they treat private 757's.... Everyone gets top priority...:yes:

Enjoy the experience.....:yesnod:

Ps... It was Nice for Ron to chime in with encouragement..

Welcome to POA guys...:cheers:

Last edited:
Depending on where you go a "Follow Me" truck, van or golf cart may magically appear as you taxi toward the desired FBO. If there is more than one FBO, there may be two carts, clearly marked vying for your business.

The Follow Me truck may pull through a parking space and then he'll jump out and marshal you, follow him through. Some may pull up to a spot, then jump out to marshal and help you push back into a spot if needed.

If staying overnight, they may ask about moving you to a remote parking area with their tug. You can stay and watch or let them do it. Many times if they know when you are planning to depart, they'll bring it back to the front or have a shuttle to take you to your plane.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for replying Ron, looks like I will need to fly over abuse your crew car with a cheap cigar in the near future

Hi Shazam! Ron from Sonoma Jet Center here. I am part of the maintenance team here and we are all pilots and aircraft owners. All of our line guys monitor ground 121.9. The tower guys will be happy to direct you here and one of our flightline guys will direct you to a parking spot, chock your wheels and answer any questions you might have. We have two courtesy cars that you can use. We have free coffee, water and cookies. A pilots lounge area as well as a flight planning room with free internet. The airport has been working on detaching and renaming the runways. 1/19 is now 2/20. you will normally land on 14 or 32. You can call our ATIS before you leave 707 545-2847 or weather advisory ASOS 707 573-8393. Lots to do here. Pacific Coast Air museum is close by. The cheese burgers at the Sky lounge are excellent. you can reach me by asking the people at the front desk. Have a great flight! Ron
Great, friendly advice...I was looking for a stop on my plans for tomorrow, sounds like a nice place to stop by.
And Shizam, SFO Bravo transitions really are easier than avoiding it!

Great, friendly advice...I was looking for a stop on my plans for tomorrow, sounds like a nice place to stop by.
And Shizam, SFO Bravo transitions really are easier than avoiding it!

”Great friendly advice... ” I saw this and had to open the thread to see what the heck was going on. Great friendly advice on PoA?? :what:

Nice of Ron to stop by!

Great friendly advice... ” I saw this and had to open the thread to see what the heck was going on. Great friendly advice on PoA?? :what:

Nice of Ron to stop by!

We have our moments....;).....................:D

I told the CSR girls to keep an eye out for a super hero that could be name SHIZAM. If you get a chance stop and say hi in the vintage 1944 Redwood hangar and I'll give you a tour! :D Ron

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Yep, just pull up and look for someone to flag you to where they want to park, they usually listen to the ground/CTAF and will figure out that you're not doing T&Gs if you ask/announce taxi to the ramp. If not, find a likely spot and stop and call on Unicom (may or may not be the CTAF frequency) for directions. If you don't get a response (unlikely) then just shut down and chocks and/or tie-down. You can sort it out inside if they need it somewhere else. Make sure to ask what the cost for tie-down is. Some places will laugh and say it's fine for a few hours, other places will ask you to cough up $15 (looking at you Portland, ME) for a few hours unless you buy fuel.

If NE Airmotive still has the green-eyed redhead working the front desk I'd pay $15 just to sit in the lobby for 3 hours . . .

If NE Airmotive still has the green-eyed redhead working the front desk I'd pay $15 just to sit in the lobby for 3 hours . . .

I can confirm that, as of last December, they still had someone similar to that description working there IIRC. However, I have a girlfriend so I'd rather save the $15 so I can go flying with her more often. ;)

But, yes, NE Airmotive at least works for the $15 and looks good while doing it. :wink2:

Thanks everybody and thank you Ron for your response clarifying exactly what to do! I'm definitely more confident about my first trip up there now and will certainly be making several more trips (to secure more beer from Russian River) :)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly up Saturday due to time constraints, hope to be flying up soon and would love a tour.

Thanks again!
Sam

Back