Problem with track log with Stratus 2S

CrimsonFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CrimsonFlyer
I've used the Stratus 2S to log my flights without any problem in the past. Excellent signal. However, during my last flight with the Stratus 2S, Foreflight 7.4.1, and wifi-only iPad mini 4, all the takeoff segments were NOT recorded. For example, I made a right Dumbarton departure from KPAO, which was not properly recorded, and all the takeoff segments from KHWD were also not recorded. The rest looked fine.

Click here for the flight on CloudAhoy

The Stratus 2S was mounted on the left side window of a PA-28. I've also noticed that the latest version of Foreflight automatically recorded my track as well. The track logs from Foreflight and Stratus are slightly different, mostly in duration, but neither recorded the takeoff segments. (The one I'm showing here is from Stratus. And yes, I confirmed that it was from the Stratus and not from the iPad.) I did not have this problem with Stratus track logs when using the older version of Foreflight.

Questions:

1) Could the vibrations on takeoff affect the signal? But why this flight and not on previous flights in the same airplane from the same airport with the same mounting location?
2) Is Stratus 2S log tracking ability somehow affected by the latest version of Foreflight? This doesn't make sense to me.
3) Any other theory from all you engineers out there?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I thought their 7.4.1 update fixed a logging problem... you might shoot them a note. Maybe they only maimed the bug instead of killing it.

Looking at CloudAhoy's debrief, it's clear that data was not logged correctly during the patterns in the NW areas (crosswind legs), when you were banking. The orange straight lines result from missing or erroneous data on the crosswind.

It's likely related to unit's location. The combination of bank and nose-up pitch may have caused the GPS to lose line of sight with several satellites. The problem may have been also related to RAIM issues at the time of the flight.

If possible, try to mount the unit on the dash instead of on the left window, for max sky visibility even in bank and pitch-up.

Back