Problem with Bose X

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
In the past, upon a descent from even a low altitude like 3500' MSL, my headset would start to warble and squeal. I called Bose and they said, 'buy new ear cushions.' That worked for another couple of years.

Lately however, and with a freshly installed set of ear cushions, they warble and squeal every time I'm descending. It's definitely an electronics noise, is loud, distracting, and may even damage my hearing if it persists, so I've got to get it fixed. Has anyone ever experienced this w/ their Bose X headset? I cannot see where there is any gap in the flange that goes around the ear cup and into the channel.

The headset is out of warranty now so it'll cost me some fly gas cash to send it in for refurbishment but I will have no choice if I can't solve the problem on my own.

Random thought; have you made any concurrent changes to your eye wear? I had a set of temples that even fresh seals didn't handle well. I changed temples.

Good morning!

If by "warble" you mean a motor-boating or vibrating sound, that is the seal around your ears. The squeal means that the microphone for the ANR is either damaged or blocked. If the new earseals are not correcting the "warbling" issue, something else is keeping the seal from being made. If the squealing continues, then it will need repair/replacement. The little ANR mics on those particular headsets are on the outside center. See if something is blocking the holes. More than likely though, the issue is actually on the mic inside.

Hopefully that helps, but if you have any more questions, I can help. We can repair them here, but the cost may not be worth the trouble.

Last edited:
A passenger recently broke one of the arms on my older Bose. Seems that Bose has a 'fixed price for repairing anything and everything wrong' policy - or something close to that. Got new ear pads in the deal. May be the way to go.

Bill, was the price $250 by chance? Seem to recall that number. I will definitely check the condition of the mics to ensure no blockage. Also the owners manual online mentions the screen on the inside must not be torn.

No new eyewear. What did change is that I bought and installed the Oregon Aero hush kit. While comfortable, the ear cushions don't fit my head and the noise level was actually much greater than before. The only part I can use is the leather mic cover. So I took them off and installed the new ear cushions. I supposed I could have damaged the screen or ANR mics in the process but didn't see anything obvious.

Flying tomorrow so I'll check closely then and bring them home with me.

Grrr, that Aero kit is just.... nvm.

Ok, when you test them, I want you to put your finger in the dimple on the outside of the earpiece and see if the squealing either starts or stops. It should be specific to each side.

I need to just start a "Trade-Up" program for you guys, and get you happy again. :)

Well on my last flight before vacation in Punta. Canal I did clean a small amount of debris outfrom the mic area. Used fine safety wire. Upon return no warbling so we will see if it took once I'm back & have flyable WX again.

Back