Problem Saving Files in MS Office Applications

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
I am having a problem on one of my home computers with saving files in Microsoft Office applications. Saving a file causes the mouse pointer to change to an Hour Glass icon and the program becomes non responsive.

On initial occurrence Windows XP suggested reporting the problem which the computer did with a response to download several MS Office Service packs. Those service packs have been installed on both computers on my home network. The one computer still exhibits the save file problem but still no issues on the other computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Len

Do you only have this problem with MS Office? Or are other applications affected?

Have you run a comprehensive virus scan and spyware scan on the affected computer?

Has anything new been installed knowingly on the affected computer recently?

Greebo said:
Do you only have this problem with MS Office? Or are other applications affected?

Have you run a comprehensive virus scan and spyware scan on the affected computer?

Has anything new been installed knowingly on the affected computer recently?

Chuck,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I have not checked other, non MS Office applications as of yet.

I ran Ad-Aware SE yesterday on both machines when the problem first cropped up. On the affected machine it found about 60 items which have been deleted. I also ran Norton AntiVirus, it didn't find anything but my subscription lapsed about 2 years ago. I'm getting the updates on both my home machines now. I'm also updating to Norton Firewall 2006 while I'm at it.

Nothing knowingly has been installed on the machines between the time the file save was working 'till it stopped working.

As soon as I'm done installing the updated Norton software I'll check other non MS applications to see if they have issues as well. I'll report back when that check is complete.

Thanks again,

Len

Was able to save two files using Paint..no problems.

Both machines now scanning for virus infection using latest software and virus descriptions.

Len

It sounds to me like your virus scanner is holding things up checking the file as you save it. Try temporarily turning off your virus scan.

I suggest you ditch M$ Office and change to WordPerfect Office.

SCCutler said:
I suggest you ditch M$ Office and change to WordPerfect Office.
I recommend WordStar... I may still have a copy laying around somewhere. Can you read an 8" floppy? :p

Or try Open Office...though I admit to using Office 2003 and have no issues with it.

gkainz said:
I recommend WordStar... I may still have a copy laying around somewhere. Can you read an 8" floppy? :p

hehehe.

I have Lotus Office somewhere, OS2 version...

:D

jangell said:
I have seen this before. I beleive this will fix it for you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165?

Spike remember what happend the last time you said WordPerfect? :D

Jesse,

Thanks...I'll keep it in mind though I have to admit I stopped reading once I got to the part where it you have to edit the registry.

Mike posted an idea suggesting there was a time out occuring due to the amount of time the virus checking software was taking...I didn't think it was that but this particular machine has a RAID set (RAID 0)...I reset the speed at which writes to the second drive to the machine occur so more resources are available for the initial write. This seemed to cure the problem...though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Len

Back