Probably last update on Niece's Leukemia

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
err....the topic sounds bad, this is actually good.

Its the last update because news is coming so slowly from the doctors lately, aside from the same "everything is great, she's responding great" that there's nothing to update.

My niece was allowed to start kindergarten about 2 weeks ago. She loves it, and the students are really nice about her lack of hair (although its growing back right now, it will disappear again). Before she started school, they showed the kids some Charlie Brown cartoon about another child with Leukemia. I haven't seen the video, but apparantly the other students responded very well to it. Erin fits in very well with the other students.

Her chemotherapy treatments have been pushed back from once a week to once every 3 weeks now, and she looks healthy and has a lot more stamina than she's had in a while. She's almost always smiling and has a really strong outlook on life, much more so than about 7 months ago when everything started happening so fast. I'm really proud of her, she is a hell of a trooper, and at times was stronger than her surrounding family was despite our best efforts.

The good thing about her getting to go to kindergarten is that she won't have to jump right into first grade with no preparation. She has had a tutor that was appointed by Albuquerque Public Schools, and she learned a lot from the tutor, but its not the same as actually being in school and developing her social skills.

Obviously, everything is not in the clear, and things could go south at any time, but we're really optimistic that she is on her way to beating this thing. I don't know for sure if I could have been this much better this quickly myself, but she is, and that's great.

Thanks for listening.

Nick thats excellent news, I couldn't be happier for you!

My cousin was going through this and I hope you rniece as a better outcome. My mom is in th emiddle of her chemo for another type of cancer. I hope she is able to get to the point your niece is at.

You know we're all keeping her and you in our thoughts and prayers, right?

I'm glad that things are working out this well. :D

Nick, that is just AWESOME news! Give her a hug for me, OK?

Scott, I hope you mom is doing well. give her a hug for me too, OK?

Dee

And for the two of you, if the patients are 'into' the yellow Lance bands, I can send them each one... OK? If not, that's OK too.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate it, and I have told Erin that she has pilots across the nation pulling for her. She didn't quite grasp the concept of the internet being worldwide...but still, she was happy.

As for the Yellow Wrist Bands - the important thing is that they are bought. I say if you want buy one and either wear it or keep it somewhere, go for it! I like to hear the offer of support!

Great news, Nick.

You can tell her we are proud of her and how brave she must be to go to kindergarden without hair too!

I don't know if I said this before or not.

My mother used to be the head nurse at an outpatient cancer clinic attached to a big hospital. She used to give chemo as part of her duties.

She always told me that she liked working with the kids best, because they usually got better. It was the older adults that they tended to lose.

Kids bounce.

Thanks for the update, and I'll keep pulling for her.

Your niece and her family remain in my thoughts. Give her a hug from me when you see her!

terry

SkyHog said:
As for the Yellow Wrist Bands - the important thing is that they are bought. I say if you want buy one and either wear it or keep it somewhere, go for it! I like to hear the offer of support!

Nick,

I keep a 'supply' of the LiveStrong bands at home. Traded a yellow band for a pink breast cancer band from a 12 year old in my kick boxing class who's mom had cancer, and gave one to the Sheriff of Douglas County (WA state) who is going through treatment right now. Have been wearing mine for just over a year. They were as rare as hens teeth not too long ago. It took the LAF folks over 5 months to get mine to me.

Dee

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back